Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / [BUG] 2.0.21 PlayVideo() doesn't work in full screen mode

Author
AGK Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Sep 2016 18:22
PlayVideo() doesn't work in full screen mode. Tested on "VideoPlayback" example.
Paul Johnston
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Sep 2016 21:12
If this was just on Windows then that doesn't surprise me, video playback uses a separate window overlayed on top of the AppGameKit window which sometimes acts up. I would recommend using PlayVideoToImage instead.
Alex_Peres
AGK Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Sep 2016 21:24
I want to use PlayVideoToImage, but I can't.
It runs only one video - from AppGameKit example "video.mp4". No .wmv format and no .mp4 created by myself.
And even if I could run my own .mp4 file, it will be failed on many machines, because of lack of codecs.
So, I need .wmv on Windows, or built-in h.264 codec in AGK...
Paul Johnston
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Sep 2016 21:37
I would expect WMV to work on Windows, but it looks like FFmpeg might replace the WMV decoder with its own and not work properly. Can you test on a fresh install or virtual machine? You might also be able to use .mpg videos with MPEG2 video and MP2 audio for out of the box support.
Alex_Peres
AGK Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Sep 2016 23:05
I will test it tomorrow! I have fresh Windows install for this issue. After I'll tell you the results. Thank you Paul.
Alex_Peres
AGK Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Oct 2016 22:19 Edited at: 5th Oct 2016 22:30
Paul, there are problems...

PlayVideo() - doesn't work correct in full screen mode on Windows.
PlayVideoToImage(...) has real problems on Windows:

WMV - doesn't work anywhere (so strange).
MP4 - doesn't work by default on fresh install Windows XP. And I can't even make it work on Windows 10 with codecs...
Mpeg-2 - doesn't work by default on Windows XP and bugged on the others Windows.
Mpeg-1 - works everywhere! But with horrible lugs (2-3 frames per second)! Don't even know why...

What should I do, to make my video work on every PC without any additional instalations? It is VERY important cause I make an casual game (video is ready now).
I thought I could use .WMV+PlayVideo() pair, but khow with this full screen bug it impossible...
Paul Johnston
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Oct 2016 22:35 Edited at: 5th Oct 2016 22:36
PlayVideo and PlayVideoToImage use the same decode process, just the output target is different, so if one works they should both work...

I would have expected WMV to work, but I can get MP4 (H264) to work if I install AVSplitter and FFMpeg. We're at the mercy of DirectShow so I don't know what else we can do. All other platforms come with MP4 (H264) support built in.

I'm aware of the OGG Theora for video, but it may not work too well on mobile unless we can use hardware decoding.
Alex_Peres
AGK Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Oct 2016 23:49 Edited at: 5th Oct 2016 23:59
Found the "Any Video Converter Professional" soft.
-> Customized Avi Movie. Video codec: wmv1 or wmv2, both have good enough quality and size and both works with PlayVideoToImage(...) on every Windows version (fresh install (no 3rd-party codecs)).
Don't know if it work the same as .WMV, but looks fine...

Thanks Paul.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-26 16:48:29
Your offset time is: 2024-04-26 16:48:29