Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / HTTP API KEYS and Sha512

Author
AGK Bronze Backer
Years of Service
User Offline

When calling a server I can get a response$ from a server with:-

Which is fine, but the API I am using then needs each call to it to be AUTHENTICATED as in the API help below:-

Question : is it possible to sign in to the non PUBLIC area of a sites API with AppGameKit considering the HMAC-Sha512 part of the advice?

I have tried putting my KEY and SECRET in the line:- SetHTTPHost( http, "website.com", 1 ,"KEY" , "SECRET" ) (also sha512 versions of them)

but the I cant confirm EXACTLY how I should word the SendHTTPRequestASync( http, "/the page its on" ) and its POST info command line to get a success=1 return nor where to correctly place the variable nonce so I can then increment it each call....so to no avail

Anybody help trying to log in to a secure area of an API from AppGameKit? OR is it that I need to use HMAC-Sha512 , or encode to it...or is it how the call line is constructed???

Thx

Paul Johnston
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Oct 2016 16:18
What that usually means for these types of APIs is that the POST data contains a variable that is a hash of the other variables. For example

The exact make up of the hash should be defined in their API spec, and usually contains a shared secret variable that isn't passed with the data, it may actually be the API key, in which case the example above shouldn't send it in the post data. Unfortunately AppGameKit doesn't come with an SHA512 function built in, I'll add one for the next version.
Weave
AGK Bronze Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Awesome, thanks Paul, that's quite exciting a prospect to be able to sha512(things) from AppGameKit (!!!), and thanks for the response I am beginning to understand how and why the line is constructed and your contribution helps a lot, thanks.
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Oct 2016 13:39
Wouldn't that leave your API key visible?

"I like offending people, because I think people who get offended should be offended." - Linus Torvalds
Weave
AGK Bronze Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Hello Paul, been a while but I thought I`d give this another go and see if I can make any progress. Was wondering if I could ask your advice based on the websites documentation:-

Quote: "Authentication:
Authenticated methods require the use of an api key and can only be accessed via the POST method.

Authentication Header
Authorization is performed by sending the following variables into the request authentication header:

API_PUBLIC_KEY + ':' + SIGNATURE + ':' + NONCE

Request Signature:
URI: The uri endpoint e.g. https://theirwebsite.com/api/public/GetCurrency?Symbol=BTC ( or /private/getbalance I assume as its for the private api)
API_PUBLIC_KEY: Your api key
POST_PARAMS: JSON post parameters (base64 encoded)
NONCE: Unique indicator for each request.
SIGNATURE: API_KEY + "POST" + URI + NONCE + POST_PARAMS signed by secret key according to HMAC-SHA512 method.

GetBalance POST

Description
Return information for a specific balance

Uri: https://theirwebsite.com/api/private/getbalance

Parameters:
Currency: The currency of the balance to return e.g. 'BTC' (required)"

The above is the only documentation given, I was wondering if this is possible and if you had any code advice based on this with regards the JSON(base64 encoded) part. I am thinking this
refers to the Parameters of the particular request perhaps ie like :

Must NONCE increase by one each time I request or send it data?
Looking at their examples it looks very complex so any pointers much appreaciated

Many thanks

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 09:22:16
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 09:22:16