Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / A question about the output of GetDeviceID command.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Oct 2016 18:08
Apologies if this sounds like a stupid question, but since I didn't see many details in the online documentation, I was wondering if the command "GetDeviceID" returns a unique string for every device.

Also, does this apply to mobile & desktop devices? Or is there a possibility that two computers with the exact same components (cpu, hdds etc.) will return the same string?

I am asking because I was thinking about using the command as a simple way of "watermarking" an alpha demo of our game (would work for specific test devices) and in order to avoid an unnecessary early circulation of the buggy alpha code.
Paul Johnston
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Oct 2016 13:26
It's always possible for two devices to have the same ID, but very unlikely. The only one that I know figures for is Windows, the ID is sourced from a field with only 32 bits of data, so there is a 1 in 4 billion chance that any two Windows machines have the same ID.
nickele upgraded
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Oct 2016 14:12
Thank you very much for your answer sir Paul.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-29 19:19:39
Your offset time is: 2024-09-29 19:19:39