Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit/AppGameKit Studio Showcase / [Released!] A Short Story

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Dota 2
Posted: 13th Oct 2016 04:03 Edited at: 13th Oct 2016 04:05
Hi everybody!

Been working on this for a while. I just wanted to make a quick lil project, mostly for morale purposes while I was working on Na4 and Escape Never Escape. It turned out to be larger than I expected though!

Basically it's just a small collection of abstract lateral thinking puzzles (most of which I came up with myself). Think along the lines of "What's inside the box?" and "The Guides".

I'm putting it up for $0.99, I'd really appreciate any installs people can give it, as this has a considerable impact on the Play Store listing (I'm aiming to make it onto the Top New Paid list). I am more than happy to "swap" installs with anybody out there who has their own paid apps.

Here's some screens:

And here's the link! A Short Story [Literally just uploaded, might take a while before it's available]

Audacia Games - Latest WIP - AUTOMAYTE 2.1, AppGameKit one click deploy to Android
130,000 installs with AppGameKit and counting

Attachments

Login to view attachments
CJB
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Oct 2016 10:55 Edited at: 13th Oct 2016 14:30
Installed Haven't tried it yet though (in work right now!). Congrats on another release!

EDIT: I've had a go of this now... It's good! I like the little log files carrying the story along... I think I get where it's heading ... I'm up to "Time's Up".
V2 T1 (Mostly)
Phone Tap!
Uzmadesign
Ortu
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Oct 2016 15:30
I'm intrigued, I think I'll give it a go when I get home tonight

A single player RPG featuring a branching, player driven storyline of meaningful choices and multiple endings alongside challenging active combat and intelligent AI.
easter bunny
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Oct 2016 19:04
CJB, glad you like it! I only came up with about 19 puzzles, but I'm hoping to add more in a future update

Ortu, awesome!

Audacia Games - Latest WIP - AUTOMAYTE 2.1, AppGameKit one click deploy to Android
CJB
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Oct 2016 20:55
I'm proper stumped on time's up.
V2 T1 (Mostly)
Phone Tap!
Uzmadesign
CJB
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Oct 2016 20:57
I just got it! Lol. Why didn't I think of that sooner! Haha
V2 T1 (Mostly)
Phone Tap!
Uzmadesign
easter bunny
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Oct 2016 04:31
Nice! Let me know what you think of the ending and if you need any help with the secrets

CJB
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Oct 2016 10:24
There's an ending? I think I quit when I saw the "Game Over" title and the page with the big icons... was there more to it? (I hope so!)
V2 T1 (Mostly)
Phone Tap!
Uzmadesign
easter bunny
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Oct 2016 12:46
Yup haha, Game Over is the final level, however there are also 3 Easter eggs to find throughout the game.

I think I'll change to clue from "game over" to "game over?" To avoid confusion

easter bunny
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Oct 2016 21:32
Ortu
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Oct 2016 02:52
Yeah I got stuck on time's up also. The puzzles have been pretty good

A single player RPG featuring a branching, player driven storyline of meaningful choices and multiple endings alongside challenging active combat and intelligent AI.
CJB
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Oct 2016 11:04
Left 5* for you. Looking forward to more puzzles. Could you keep us posted on how this is doing in top paid? Would be really interesting to see number of sales
V2 T1 (Mostly)
Phone Tap!
Uzmadesign
Ortu
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Oct 2016 19:00
It had fallen to about #60 when I looked last night

easter bunny
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Oct 2016 21:49
Yeah it peaked at #29 and the was with about 20 installs I think. I've had a few uninstalls though which is why it's dropped off.

I think next time I make a game like this I'm going to have an update prepared so I can release it quickly to retain the first few users.

I'm sitting at 25/27 installs at the moment.

The problem is that while that number could be considered decent, I've actually had over 350 people view it. This is a fairly low view/install ratio. I think it shows I should have put far more time and effort into the screens/description/icon/title. If this game was as appealing at first glance as it could be, perhaps I could be sitting at 250 installs now instead of 25. If this was the case then I would without a doubt be in the top 5 games which would basically snowball the installs even more.

At least i know for next time xD.

I was planning on making a few more levels and releasing them as an update within a few days, but I got distracted working on Na4 (and making some huge progress!). Now I'm considering just leaving this game where it's at. I expect it to fall off the charts soon as people finish it and start uninstalling. It would take a lot of work to retain users and get new ones. I'm pretty happy with how it went, I think instead of putting a tonne of work into what was relatively unsuccessful, I'm best off taking what I've learnt and applying it to something new.

BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Oct 2016 08:38
Quote: "I should have put far more time and effort into the screens/description/icon/title"

I agree, the feedback you have is great so you simply need to get people to make the purchase. My job involves Product Information Management, so here goes my twopenneth...
You need to make sure your potential customers have no questions in their mind about what they are being offered.
They have thousands of games to choose from. If price is not an issue/differentiator they will buy the first one they like, that tells them everything they need to know.

Quote: "This game has no instructions. Simply solve each puzzle, and watch the story unfold."

Although this is the whole point of the game, it doesn't tell me enough. I may assume that all puzzles are the same, all puzzles are number-based and I don't like numbers, or it is for children or people far more intelligent than I am.
Tell me I am going to get a variety of puzzles, that I have the ability to solve them all but they will challenge me to my limits, push my boundaries and give me a sense of achievement.

Good luck with it
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur
TutCity is being rebuilt
damothegreat
User Banned
Posted: 19th Oct 2016 20:07
Well done on releasing and if this is your first, try and use this as a positive for your next venture or updates to the game

Try a few things for your next update or venture:-

- Solely concentrate on 1 game per time.
- A nice Game title
- perhaps the game title is produced by a sprite movement/scale/rotation style video which runs into producing your main title
- Maybe a quick Tutorial on how to play it (give a demo puzzle)
- Maybe a small recorded video of in-game play to put on your distribution site instead of just screen shots.
- Application icon

The more effect in visual effects and tantalisers increases popularity in my opinion anyway.

Just a few ideas from myself, to hopefully gain to seek more views, installs and purchases

Really good luck in the future with this

Damian
Using Tier 1 AppGameKit V2
Started coding with AMOS
easter bunny
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Oct 2016 05:44
Batvink,

Quote: "You need to make sure your potential customers have no questions in their mind about what they are being offered.
They have thousands of games to choose from. If price is not an issue/differentiator they will buy the first one they like, that tells them everything they need to know."

Thanks, I'm defs gonna be focusing on the marketing side of things a lot more for Na4.

Quote: "Although this is the whole point of the game, it doesn't tell me enough. I may assume that all puzzles are the same, all puzzles are number-based and I don't like numbers, or it is for children or people far more intelligent than I am.
Tell me I am going to get a variety of puzzles, that I have the ability to solve them all but they will challenge me to my limits, push my boundaries and give me a sense of achievement."

Yeah I was trying to go for sort of mysterious feel, rather than this just being another game trying to sell itself to you. I've decided that isn't really a very good strategy

Damo,

Thanks for the tips this is actually about the 11th game I've released I think, I still have much to learn though haha.

BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Oct 2016 08:51 Edited at: 20th Oct 2016 08:51
Quote: "Yeah I was trying to go for sort of mysterious feel, rather than this just being another game trying to sell itself to you"

I think you can do this if you already have a reputation for publishing good games. Portal is a good example.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur
TutCity is being rebuilt
CJB
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Oct 2016 09:24
I think it was a good experiment to see how a few installs can influence your ranking on top-paid. It's almost worth buying up a bunch of your own app to push it up the chart! Lol
V2 T1 (Mostly)
Phone Tap!
Uzmadesign
easter bunny
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Oct 2016 08:35
Yeah definitely. Like I reached #21 on the Top New Paid charts. This was with about 25 installs.

I've had 410 organic views solely from being on the charts, comapred to 165 views from a Reddit post and this forum.
Furthermore people viewing it on Google Play are actually looking to install whereas Reddit and this forum aren't necessarily.

Now imagine if it actually looked attractive in the screens... With a gorgeous looking icon too.

That could be 1000+ views which could be 200+ installs which would probably place me in the Top 5 haha

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-24 06:20:19
Your offset time is: 2024-04-24 06:20:19