Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / The Moon Occults Aldebaran

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Oct 2016 07:06 Edited at: 19th Oct 2016 07:11
Picture taken 10 minute before totality on Tuesday October 18 @11:20PM Mountain Time. This was as close to totality I could get before the Moons glare washed Aldebaran out on my Galaxy S7 Edge camera. Still trying set pro mode right.

Scope: Celestron PowerSeeker 127EQ
Magnification: 50x
Conditions: Slightly Hazy
Light Pollution: Slightly High

Missed Aldebaran's reappearance while writing this post.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Oct 2016 08:21 Edited at: 19th Oct 2016 08:51
Quote: "Mountain Time"
Quote: "Location: A Mile High"
Hey hey, are you in Denver? That's where I am! Lakewood, specifically, but Denver area for sure.

Neat picture, too.

EDIT
Quote: "Location: Colo Sprgs, CO"
Derp. Hey, that's pretty close still! Glad to know I'm not the only TGC forumite in the area.
OUT with the ugly campaign signature and IN with some super fancy text.
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Oct 2016 08:27
Nice picture for a mobile phone!
I've tried many times to takes photos of the moon with a DSLR camera and failed.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur
TutCity is being rebuilt
Seditious
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Oct 2016 10:50
That certainly is a nice picture!
My cat got worms and leaked his smelly butt all over my house.
WickedX
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Oct 2016 18:32
@Dark Java Dude 64

Greetings, neighbor to the north. Soon, I'll be moving to my new home in Fountain, where I'll have a clear FOV and little to no light pollution.

I tried a few cameras before the S7. I would not thought the Moon such a difficult object to capture. I was really surprised by the quality of the S7 camera. As it was I took 5 quick shots to get 1 decent pic.

This is a pic of my first attempt at the Full Moon on the S7. Pro Mode with auto settings.

Attachments

Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Oct 2016 20:42 Edited at: 19th Oct 2016 20:43
Quote: "little to no light pollution."
Ahh, that's nice. It's been the other way around for me; I've lived in Bailey (SW of Denver along 285) for all my life, very little light pollution there so stars and the moon were gorgeous during the night. Now that I live in Denver, the stars and moon are a little less crisp for sure.
OUT with the ugly campaign signature and IN with some super fancy text.
Morcilla
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Oct 2016 14:29
Nice pics
KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Oct 2016 14:33
I wonder what that object is on the top left of the moon?
-Keith
chfire
Years of Service
User Offline
Glad someone else on here likes Astrophotography! it has been my Hobby for the last few years. Here is one I took with the Iphone 6 plus

Attachments

WickedX
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Nov 2016 22:50
Very Nice! looks like it was taken through a scope using a filter.
chfire
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks, Yes used a telescope for this, can't remember which one. Think it was the Orion ED80
Kind of tricky holding the camera to the Eyepiece.
Morcilla
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Dec 2016 10:22
Good one
WickedX
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Feb 2017 06:54 Edited at: 9th Feb 2017 08:40
I apologize for not returning to this thread earlier. This Christmas I received some additional equipment. I got a star drive for the equatorial mount, some additional eyepieces and filters and a Gosky smartphone digiscoping adapter. I knew this equipment was coming. So, I have been real busy searching the internet and watching YouTube videos to learn all that I can on the subject of astrophotography and photography in general.

Lately the weather has been clouding up after sunset. On a couple of fairly clear nights, I attempted to shoot the moon. The first attempt was a bust, my star drive was in the way. I was going to wait an hour or two. But, it was getting cold so I packed it up. My second attempt I tried taking a video with the star drive running only to discover I need to calibrate the speed. I think I'll wait for a warmer night for this.

I did get a fairly decent wide-field picture of the constellation Orion. After developing and post-processing the raw image in snapseed, I was able to bring out the colors of the stars and the Orion Nebula. It was just a little blurry due to taking a 10 second image on a stationary mount.

I have been seriously considering starting an Astrophotography thread here on the Geek Culture board. I would really like to see what other TGC Forum members have achieved. In addition this would be a great place for myself and others to get advice and suggestion to get the most out of their equipment. Please, give your thoughts.

Attached is a image of the waxing gibbous moon - 85% illumination, taken through 16x magnification binoculars, aligned and stacked with RegiStax from a 4 minute video using 814 frames from a total of 7200. The video was shot on Tuesday, February 7, 2017 at 5:30 PM standard mountain time.

Attachments

Morcilla
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Feb 2017 16:00
Nice pic, could even be used as some background media for a video game.
I'm not into astrophotography, but I think it is an interesting subject, with encourageous results. Keep it on
WickedX
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Feb 2017 21:48 Edited at: 9th Feb 2017 22:17
Thanks for your words of encouragement. Since I first had the thought to put the Galaxy S7 up to the telescope, I have been hooked. I had no idea how common this practice is. Weather permitting on Friday I will try to get a quick shot of the penumbral eclipse through the telescope. Wish me luck!

With Jupiter coming up earlier each night I'm getting real anxious to get the motor drives speed properly calibrated. Once done, I should be able to capture images that really pop.
Morcilla
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Feb 2017 13:43
Looking forward to see what you got, good luck!
WickedX
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Feb 2017 19:06
Thanks you and congratulations on your long deserved shiny new badge.
Morcilla
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Feb 2017 09:26
Hey thank you pal

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-20 08:53:41
Your offset time is: 2024-04-20 08:53:41