Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / Black ice mod lite version idea

Author
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi all,

It's been a while but I'm back for a little while and is thinking of doing a lite version of black ice mod for lower end spec machines.

The idea is to take out a lot of the heavy stuff that make fpsc slow on lower spec machines.

The things I would be taken out are as follows :-

Darkai (this slows down many lower spec machines)
Postshaders ( This has a 50% slow down.)

The things I would imporve for lower spec machines are as follows :-

Timing system built for lower spec machines.

So the big thing is would anyone use such a mod with these things taken out ?

Best s4real
Amd fx4100,6gb ram,geforce 450
seppgirty
FPSC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Nov 2016 22:29
Quote: "So the big thing is would anyone use such a mod with these things taken out ?"

I think there would be people who would use it. Would be good for a laptop with built in graphic card.
gamer, lover, filmmaker
Madcow02
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Nov 2016 06:07
I kinda like the idea
Mr Love
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: MAFIA 2
Posted: 3rd Nov 2016 07:06
I didnt have probs with Darkai & Postshaders on My lowspec laptop. But I did have big slowdowns with blackice water, even on My fast desktop(!) The darkbasic scrips needs to be cleaned and optimized. And if You courld ask Lee to get a bigger world something like 500x500 tiles, then I wourld def use this mod!
Michael11
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Nov 2016 12:16
I don`t use DarkAi commands in my game, but I use some postprocess shaders.
Mriganka
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Nov 2016 14:59
I wouldn't recommend it. I would instead suggest to smoothen out BIMod first.

A simplified version would be just lackluster as the user can just not use these features.
s4real
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "I wouldn't recommend it. I would instead suggest to smoothen out BIMod first.

A simplified version would be just lackluster as the user can just not use these features."

I see your point on this and we still working on Black ice mod to make it the best we can but a lot of the new features like the shaders and other stuff have made the mod not as low spec as we liked so the idea was to give people a lower spec version with all most all the features.

Quote: "I didnt have probs with Darkai & Postshaders on My lowspec laptop. But I did have big slowdowns with blackice water, even on My fast desktop(!) The darkbasic scrips needs to be cleaned and optimized. And if You courld ask Lee to get a bigger world something like 500x500 tiles, then I wourld def use this mod!"

I think the water problem could be the underwater bubbles and hitting a few extra frames for the effect.
It would be nice to have a bigger world but the problem is that this would eat up to much memory and thats why fpsc is designed the size it is,I've look into making the world bigger but it just ends up with crashes and bugs and lee will have nothing to do with fpsc anymore so my hands are tired on adding bigger worlds.

Thanks everyone for there imput on this.

Best s4real
Mr Love
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Nov 2016 17:25
"I think the water problem could be the underwater bubbles and hitting a few extra frames for the effect."

Nope, the bad thing is that that the water slowed down the whole level, even when I was up and out of the water there was a slowdown? A few bubbles cant do that!
If Lee dont care about FPSC anymore, what stops You from adding a little bigger world?
s4real
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "what stops You from adding a little bigger world?"

I've look into making the world bigger but it just ends up with crashes and bugs like i said before.

Not sure why the water would slow down the whole level as not had this issue myself. (will add it to things to look into as this is the same water used in fpsc.)

Thanks for your feedback

Best s4real
ncmako
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Nov 2016 20:45
Hi S4Real
Sorry for late input. Been very sick lately.
I believe your idea would be great for slower PC's. Just a stripped down version. Heck I would try it out for speed and such. If it improves on your AAA lightening effects
why not?
My games never have bugs. They just develop random features..
Lots and lots of random features...
Mr Love
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Nov 2016 13:18
Why not make TPS Creator? An engine that wourld support third person shooters? Then We courld make a demolevel with the actual Max Payne model, because the good thing with TPS games is that smaller maps works great, and it wourld be perfect for an engine like FPS Creator...
I also want to say welcome back ncmako, not healthy enough to help Me out are You?
seppgirty
FPSC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Nov 2016 13:48
Quote: "Why not make TPS Creator? An engine that wourld support third person shooters?"

They have tried and tried but could never get it fully functional. I would pay for that.
gamer, lover, filmmaker
Mr Love
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Nov 2016 15:32
"They have tried and tried but could never get it fully functional. I would pay for that."

That is not correct, Aeguls TPSmod worked perfectly. Here is a Youtube link, I think there are more than one video... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4Fo8TLo7qU
Corno_1
Years of Service
User Offline
Ok, dark ai is trash, so I would support a radical cure from that sickness. It never worked for me and I never saw one who use it, besides this standart scripts or the EAI script, which need a Dark AI modification. Also you would support small developer who never could complile the source, because some never get their hands on darkai.dll and now it is too late, because lee modify it so hard for GG.

For the shaders, I liked them and never saw a big performance problem in them.

TPS would also be great, but I dont know how hard this would be. At least it should be better than this GG "thirdperson".
PredicateC - FPSC to GameGuru FPE converter
https://forum.game-guru.com/thread/211068
Susysyay
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Nov 2016 18:48
@Corno_1

I used DarkAI heavily in my fully completed Combat 1944 game. It was pretty "meh" overall, but I could not have made a game like it without Dark AI, so I for one support the idea of upgrading or streamlining DarkAI so it isn't as resource intensive.

Also, shameless bump....go checkout my Combat 1944 game if you wanna see what Nomad Mod (similar to Black Ice Mod) can do! Black Ice mod is just Nomad Mod but better in my book. If I still had the source files for the project, I would rerelease it with Black Ice Mod.

-Winner of the X10 Revival Competition, Susysyay
\"I\'m havin\' too good a time today, I ain\'t even thinkin\' bout tomorrow.\"
Corno_1
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Combat 1944"

I played it and I also tried to create a AI for you, I thought. I failed. I talk to a lot of modders about it and how to get it to work and the answer was most of the time very frustrating.
But that is not Lees or any modders fail, it is AI as a problem itself. I wrote and paint pages with logical stuff about AI. I read so much about it in games and also outside of games. At least I gave up.

But I am not here to say do it. I gave my opinion as a little community member, not more. If you think I am wrong, I am ok with that.
PredicateC - FPSC to GameGuru FPE converter
https://forum.game-guru.com/thread/211068
Nomad Soul
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Dec 2016 16:04
Its true, Dark AI is very resource hungry and it would improve load times and overall performance if removed. There is also an issue with Dark AI not following waypoints across multiple layers.

We've added a bot AI demo in Black Ice Mod which does not use Dark AI and provides a more consistent and aggresive AI. Ideally this can be extended to support allies in the future so we don't need to rely on Dark AI for that.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-18 23:29:18
Your offset time is: 2024-04-18 23:29:18