Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / Will There Be Future Additions to Teir 1?

Author
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Badges, I don't need no stinkin badges
Posted: 9th Nov 2016 19:30 Edited at: 10th Nov 2016 16:11
What is the future roadmap of additions to AppGameKit tier1?
Is this it for AppGameKit Tier1? Will all Tier1 users need to move to Tier2 if
they hope to advance with AppGameKit? It is starting to feel like TGC have abandoned
AGK.
The coffee is lovely dark and deep,and I have code to write before I sleep.
Stab in the Dark software
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Nov 2016 01:00
All those still using AGK2 feel free to way in on this.
Jack
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Nov 2016 01:07 Edited at: 10th Nov 2016 01:22
Which commands are you missing in detail, Stab in the Dark?
Each update contained new commands.

I would like to see at least a method to include own Tier2 code to Tier1 in order to create plugins. In DBP times we got dlls, now we need something similar,
so plugins could improve the speed of development.
It would be also nice to have an option to include/exclude libraries when compiling an APK file to reduce the file size (15mb for an empty APK is just too much)

I've created a simple linear math library a while ago. The commands for vector2, vector3, vector4 and matrix4 are missing right now in AGK. For fast and efficient prototyping we also need the interpolation functions from the library straight in AppGameKit, hardcoded.
https://forum.thegamecreators.com/thread/217064
TGC should add a similar stack of commands.

As Stab in the Dark already mentioned, a roadmap would be fine to see.
TGC, please let us create T1 plugins!

[/url]
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Nov 2016 13:06
I'm a little bit confused...We have had an update approximately once every 2 months for the last year. Each update has included new functionality, and T1 and T2 are aligned in each one.

Please elaborate, I'm concerned that as a T1 user I am missing something.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur
TutCity is being rebuilt
CJB
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Nov 2016 14:20
Rick recently mentioned in a post that the next upate is in development, and since when have we ever had a roadmap? Stab's just stirring things up in the hope they'll ask for more physics commands from him (which wouldn't be a bad thing!)
V2 T1 (Mostly)
Phone Tap!
Uzmadesign
damothegreat
User Banned
Posted: 10th Nov 2016 14:23
AGK will never dissipate, its awesome.

Well done Lee and Paul for the idea and keep the good work coming for us to make more exciting, elaborate games ahead

Damo
Using Tier 1 AppGameKit V2
Started coding with AMOS
Xaby
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Nov 2016 14:39
I am using AGK2 Basic (Tier1), I like Basic. A great thing would be, if AGK2 could interpretate GameGuru LUA, but AGK2 Tier 1 is still fine. Fast and could do some nice things. I would love to see Vulkan Support, and also some 2D Drawing functions for some easier use. But I can do the things in other way. Yes, would be realy nice, to have a vehicle controller like the character controller.
xCept
Years of Service
User Offline
I haven't seen any indication that development has stalled, but agree that a lack of any roadmap or development news can be of concern. This is something bugging GameGuru users as well at the moment since the updates and news went from daily, to weekly, to not even monthly now.

The gripe for me is that each of the last several updates have had something else broken or quirky (be it Game Center, Render Images, Publishing). Paul may fix the problems right away but then we are still left waiting for up to a few months before any update drops, and then if something else is wrong it's another long wait again. One of the selling points TGC mentioned of distributing AppGameKit through Steam was that they'd be able to push out updates constantly and without much hassle. But that doesn't happen.
damothegreat
User Banned
Posted: 10th Nov 2016 23:18
@xCept - I understand your views as I'm sure we all do

It maybe that the developers need to put things into theory first (can it be done and how?) and then program these into new updates - and with the engine they may use - like C / C# /C++ or even
Dephi to build AppGameKit and GameGuru or what ever, its a very time consuming programmable task

As every day/month/year goes on, and more and more of us suggest new commands/ bugs here and there/ new assets - I'm sure it would be an extreme mammoth task for solely Lee
and Paul to achieve daily or weekly - that's probably why they chose to do it monthly /periodically.

If it is only Lee and Paul as the main developers then thats an outstanding job, to bring us what we do have today or us to achieve things for an App.

I feel there have done remarkably well to bring us what we do see today.

Be patient, I'm sure they both do come on here from time to time to see what ideas and suggestions we give and I'm sure they work really hard but very slowly as they are ticking everything
off for each update.

Damo
Started coding with AMOS
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Nov 2016 12:06
Quote: "Stab's just stirring things up in the hope they'll ask for more physics commands from him (which wouldn't be a bad thing!) "

They can add more physics without me, the question is are they going to soon.

One of my concerns is how are we supposed to make a 3d game when the google play file limit is
100mb. There are many 3d games on google play a gb or more. We need a solution.

Quote: "The commands for vector2, vector3, vector4 and matrix4 are missing right now in AGK"

These commands should have been added before the 3d. They need to be on the road map.
CJB
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Nov 2016 13:39
One method of deploying very large games would be to have a stub application on Google Play, and host the bulk of the media on a seperate server. Download and save media at first run. I've played many games that go through their own download procedure at first run.

V2 T1 (Mostly)
Phone Tap!
Uzmadesign
Ched80
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Nov 2016 16:44
I think there is a solution to the 100MB limit. I think you just upload a secondary file to google for your media and then download this after the primary app is installed. I think it's all explained on the Google developer console.
Mobiius
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Nov 2016 09:30
Quote: ". I think you just upload a secondary file to google for your media and then download this after the primary app is installed"

AGK has support for this, but only when the expansion file contains videos and music I believe.
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Nov 2016 02:11
Quote: "AGK has support for this, but only when the expansion file contains videos and music I believe."

Well that is no good for making a 3d game with lots of assests.
Mobiius
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Nov 2016 09:07
What else to you expect?
JohnnyMeek
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Nov 2016 10:11
It's quite simple to download your data from a server.

Just store the data as .zip file on a server somewhere. ( I use dreamhost.com as they have unlimited storage and bandwidth )

Then create an HTTP connection and use GetHTTPFile to download the zip file.
Use 'ExtractZip' to unzip the file to your desired location.
Then delete the .zip file.

damothegreat
User Banned
Posted: 18th Nov 2016 13:01
secondary data files for the extra megage - suppose that how DLCs work.

Can set a game purchase of £0.99 for say 20 levels and then add DLC packages for £20.00 each lol

Damo
Started coding with AMOS
Cor
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Nov 2016 19:32
i agree with stab....a roadmap of where agk is going would certainly be nice.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-29 21:25:38
Your offset time is: 2024-09-29 21:25:38