Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / Suitability of my app in AGK2

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hello...

Ive an app before(my first app not game) in mintoris basic (http://www.mintoris.com/) for my staff to collect data on site,save in sqlite and when they are in the office,they will send it to my pc through local mysql server xampp. Mintoris good programming on android only that support html and sqlite(now they had added game engine).

But now i thinking on porting my app and supporting more than just android in AGK2. Besides,maintaining html+javascript+ basic+ php is kind of hard(although im still requesting html for it ). My current app have a long list of food premises in form of html table but in this mode it is easy to use since html already support button and scrolling GUI. My questions are:

1. Do my app suitable to be made with AppGameKit?
2. Is it hard to make a GUI with scrolling list?(im thinking how to scroll without accidentally tap on the button)
3.Can sqlite table like be simulate using types?

Thanks
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Nov 2016 08:56
As much as I'd like to say you could use AppGameKit, your app sounds more suited to something like C# and Xamarin.
You would have to make your own scrolling lists, buttons etc. There is no database support, unless you use Tier 2 and C++. (I don't use T2 so I don't know if this is even possible)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur
TutCity is being rebuilt
Mobiius
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Nov 2016 09:34
1) It can be done, but it'll be more difficult than using a specific app creation language. (AGK is the app GAME kit afterall.)
2) Yes. You'd have to program it all yourself. I have a UI engine but haven't done scrolling lists. (Or any lists for that matter!)
3) You could interface with a website and use a web DB, like mysql, but AppGameKit types aren't the same kind of structures as a more OOP language.
hoyoyo80
Years of Service
User Offline
That is why im considering some factor before migrating my app.

I dont know how to use any other language.haha.

Thanks for the input.
damothegreat
User Banned
Posted: 17th Nov 2016 23:56 Edited at: 17th Nov 2016 23:59
There are tuns of languages that can do sql injection with the right knowledge

C family

Visual Basic

HTML/ASP

Visual Studio Community Edition

AGK is more for games and tablet apps

Unless you use AppGameKit to negotiate a resulting HTML page by use of openfile/ readline and tuns of string commands to extract the resulting data out of an html result that
you get - this could be done after a few paracetomols

Using Tier 1 AppGameKit V2
Started coding with AMOS
Mobiius
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Nov 2016 09:03
Quote: "this could be done after a few paracetomols"

It isn't that hard. You'd have the db do all the processing so that only the bare minimum of data is passed to the app. Saving on network bandwidth and on app processing.
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Nov 2016 12:04 Edited at: 18th Nov 2016 12:07
I'm working on something similar, but I am completely forgoing SQL - I'm using a server side SQL system, but the app itself does everything with HTTP file transfers. I don't like the idea of connecting to an SQL server via WiFi, not without some sort of abstraction to ensure that the data is intact first. So I'm storing the data locally, syncronising via HTTP transfers, and on the server side there's a program (actually just an Access database for now) that interprets the files and updates the SQL databases.

So I avoid data corruption issues, and minimize SQL traffic to a single server PC.

Technical stuff aside, I'd say that AppGameKit is very well suited to a data collection app - the text handling is great, it's easy to scroll the screen etc... and AppGameKit will work on anything from a raspberry PI, to an android or iOS device, right upto a PC. It also works great on Windows tablets, which IMO offer the best value for money. I'm sure I have a screenshot of my project, let me see if I can dig it out...

The code is dark and full of errors
hoyoyo80
Years of Service
User Offline
Thank for the input and to Van B, glad someone also working on the same thing.

In my current app, the data store locally in sqlite and before sending all the related field are combined in a long string. In php, the long string break into array to insert in mysql.

I go thru the agk command its look like it can do on the http part.

Im think on using types and csv. Downloading csv from server and populate the type with the data. But i havnt study this yet. But will it be slow? I have 600+ rcord and each record can have have multiple rcord with 99 fields.haha

Thanks
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Nov 2016 08:15
It's difficult to say if it'll be slow... all you can do is experiment, but I'd say it's worth a shot, if it works then it will save a lot of time.

One benefit of doing it through files though, is that it can happen in the background - like you can start the file transfer and just check on it periodically - in the meantime relying on the locally stored data. So it might take a little while to synchronize the data, but the app could keep working on local data while it does that.
hoyoyo80
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks..i already start to porting my app to agk2. My prediction on difficult part are:
1. Making a search function, let say finding a record with certain matching string

2.datepicker.

Can someone point me to related command can be use?

Thanks
Mobiius
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Nov 2016 09:00
Quote: "1. Making a search function, let say finding a record with certain matching string"

Do it in SQL.
SELECT * FROM [table_name] WHERE [column_name] LIKE {Search_criteria}

Quote: "2.datepicker. "

AGK doesn't have one, you'll have to make your own.
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Nov 2016 10:14
Yeah, doing a project like this in AppGameKit means you are kinda on your own... but that's what I like about it - I don't want to use the Microsoft prescribed form controls... I want to make my own controls, and I'm prepared to put in the work. It's what makes development fun... like a date picker - the GUI stuff is quite straightforward, just make a good library of GUI functions to make it painless to add a button, or a number display... then you have a the puzzle of how to actually decipher dates and work out which week day a date falls on, how to adjust for leap years etc etc - these are old school programming problems, and I enjoy solving them - just like we all had to before dot net made us so bloody lazy

And hell, if you get stuck, just post your issues here and we can try and work it out - we are bound to hit the same issues from time to time, and there are always good problem solvers lurking here, waiting on a challenge.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-24 13:04:30
Your offset time is: 2024-04-24 13:04:30