Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / Traditional 2d Text Adventure

Author
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
As the title suggests, I'm wondering if anyone has attempted or successfully built a text adventure in AGK2.

My understanding is that it's not possible because the text input jargon is solely dedicated to cross platform use with no command prompt style text input.

I've made a text adventures numerous times using DarkBasic back in the day and found it easy and fun to use, however i'd like to do the same using the latest agk2 tier 1 build.

am i wrong? is it possible to make an input text adventure?
i'm not one for "select a predefined option" so that's out of the question

cheers!
Real programmers don't comment their code, because if it was hard to write it must be hard to read!

- PixHil Entertainment
Download Pixel Smasher on the App Store today!
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Nov 2016 12:29 Edited at: 17th Nov 2016 12:32
You can create a text-input very easily in AGK. The Editbox is very flexible (size, position, colours, borders, font, cursor size and blink rate etc)
The input box can be transparent, so you don't actually see a box.
You can set the focus on the text box so that typing is always in the right place.
You can write a simple check for the Return key, get the text box contents, and clear it
You can get the text box contents at any time and so react even before the Return key is pressed.
The editbox handles detection of input, deleting, and repositioning of cursor.

I have a very simple Editbox in my Coding challenge entry here...
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur
TutCity is being rebuilt
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Nov 2016 12:45
Ohh heck, an input function isn't too difficult, not for something as controlled as a text adventure. You could even make your own virtual keyboard - maybe an old fashioned typewriter, lots of scope to have fun with it.

The text handling in AppGameKit is really good, you have all you need to make your own input routine, there is no reason at all why you couldn't make a text adventure in AppGameKit, or text based games in general for that matter. There is still a reasonably good sized market for text adventures out there, people still like to read, and people who liked text adventures in the past probably haven't just stopped liking them. Go for it I say.

I actually had an idea to write a text adventure system, like 1 big script file for the whole game, and make interpreters for everything from PC and Android etc, right down to 30 year old computers like the ZX Spectrum.
The code is dark and full of errors
JohnnyMeek
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Nov 2016 12:46
You should also check out Inkle Writer.

You can easily right your own player for the file format.
damothegreat
User Banned
Posted: 17th Nov 2016 14:05
Adventures are cool

I wrote a few adventure games back in speccy days which involved some ideas of the

ian livingstone fighting fantasy game books

Damo

Using Tier 1 AppGameKit V2
Started coding with AMOS
Divided
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Cheers guys, these are great responses.

I didn't know the edit box was so flexible.

With the small play around I had with it, I figured that focused text box was all that you could do haha

Real programmers don't comment their code, because if it was hard to write it must be hard to read!

- PixHil Entertainment
Download Pixel Smasher on the App Store today!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-29 21:15:28
Your offset time is: 2024-09-29 21:15:28