Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DarkBASIC Professional Discussion / Minimap and Environment Mapping Demo

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: PC and Android Games
Posted: 20th Nov 2016 05:26 Edited at: 20th Nov 2016 05:31
As I'm working on a few stuff and experimenting with DBP, I made a simple minimap demo along with a rudimentary Environmental Mapping just like in BlitzTerrain (Material Map/Footstep Sounds).

The terrain can be scaled for large terrain setup but currently it is just a flat object so I still haven't figure out how to work on this with heightmap terrain matrix or objects since it depends its accuracy on scaling and position. I'm trying to work on that next.

Full source, including exe build, video preview and post here.

Minimap and Environmental Mapping Demo with Source

Check Out My DarkBasic Blog and Resource!
Derek Darkly
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Nov 2016 15:46 Edited at: 20th Nov 2016 15:49
It's a good start, you're going in the right direction, no pun intended... I've used minimaps for radars, racing maps and even whole galaxies!

Make sure all your heightmaps are a multiple of two (128,512,1024,etc.) if you decide to use Advanced Terrain else you might have some issues. Otherwise, your X and Z player coordinates should be enough to allow you to duplicate this technique on a real terrain.
Send your parents to noisy sprite demo hell... enter the D-Zone
punkyb
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: PC and Android Games
Posted: 21st Nov 2016 13:05
Thanks Derek. Actually I kind of shift away from the Advanced Terrain stuff since it does not work with 9Ex at the moment. Yes, it might be not that hard converting it with heightmaps so I'll give it a try next.

Check Out My DarkBasic Blog and Resource!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-25 18:31:03
Your offset time is: 2024-04-25 18:31:03