Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Infinifactory

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Nov 2016 01:15 Edited at: 28th Nov 2016 01:19
If you enjoy puzzle games, you'll love this. If you don't, well, you'll still love it, because this very well might be the best puzzle game to be released this decade. I haven't had this much fun since portal 1 came out.

It is 50% off on steam as of now: http://store.steampowered.com/app/300570/

The game

In Infinifactory you are abducted by aliens. It is your duty to build and optimise production lines for your new alien overlords, to produce supplies and weapons for their military. Later in the game you escape and aid in a rebellion against the alien overlords by doing much of the same, but a lot of new stuff is introduced.

What's unique about this game is there is no "correct" answer to any puzzle. There is no limit to how you can solve a problem either. You are given infinite time, infinite resources and a LOT more space than what would be required. This gives you so much freedom in how you approach every problem.

Infinifactory is all about building assembly lines. Here's an example of a working production:

You can transport, weld, rotate, push, cut, destroy, and raise various raw parts such that they come together to form a complete product. There are levels where you also have to use parts of the environment to complete the puzzle (like feeding certain parts through a second machine to cut it into the correct shape).

Whenever you complete a task, you are evaluated on three different fronts: Cycles, footprint and block count. You can compare your scores directly with people in your steam friend's list and you can also see how you performed compared to every other player.

Cycles shows how good the throughput and latency of your assembly line is. The more you can squeeze in, the better (throughput) and the shorter it takes for a single product to be assembled the better (latency). Footprint is how much space you effectively require. This doesn't just include the blocks you used to build your assembly line, it also includes all of the materials and how they move around. For instance, rotating a 1x5 block by 90° will cause a minimum footprint of 25. Sometimes you will want to keep that in mind. Block count scores how many building blocks you needed. The lower the better.

As an example, here is the same puzzle, but one time I optimised it for block count and the other time I optimised it for throughput and latency:

As you can see, the different design goals contradict each other. If you want to reduce your block count it will always come at the cost of cycles.

Music

This game has a great sound track. The guy behind it understood the different emotions and meanings of each scene. You can find the OST here, along with what he was thinking while composing each track: https://www.magicalwasteland.com/notes/2015/7/1/notes-on-infinifactorys-music

Screenshots

Finally, I just want to share some screen shots. Each environment is really well made with beautiful skyboxes. There are about 6 puzzles to each environment and there are 11 environments in total (I think).

"Jeb Bush is a big fat mistake" -- Donald Trump
https://vt.tumblr.com/tumblr_o2rvwdLLSF1rmjly4.mp4
CJB
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Nov 2016 13:25
I hope Zachtronics are paying you well
V2 T1 (Mostly)
Phone Tap!
Uzmadesign
TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Nov 2016 16:22
lol it does kind of look like I'm advertising a product.

I just really liked this game.
damothegreat
User Banned
Posted: 28th Nov 2016 17:19
Was this written in any TGC products?

Yes - then WOW!!

Damo
Using Tier 1 AppGameKit V2
Started coding with AMOS
Anything is possible if put mind to it
Ortu
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Nov 2016 18:44
Doubtful, though I don't see any reason why it could not be done in either dbpro or agk as far as technical limitations go

A single player RPG featuring a branching, player driven storyline of meaningful choices and multiple endings alongside challenging active combat and intelligent AI.
Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Nov 2016 19:16
Thanks for reminding me about this! I love their game Shenzhen... they seem to always put out logic-based games and they're very quality! I'll buy this one today.
Senior Software Engineer - RotoGrinders
TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Nov 2016 19:34 Edited at: 28th Nov 2016 19:36
Oh yeah I saw Shenzen I/O and I was meaning to buy it. Thank you back for the reminder!

And no, this game was created in Unity.
Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Nov 2016 22:46
Ah nice, looks interesting. Sounds like quite a cool puzzle game, the fact there is no "right" way is appealing. You can do things your own way. But alas, I am spent on games at the moment, especially as I need to keep money aside for buying Christmas presents, but I may give it a go at a later date.

For factory themed games, I recently starting playing Factorio with a friend, which is something really easy to lose hours in, quite addictive. My friend described it as Tekkit Minecraft in overdrive, but I don't play Minecraft, so I will leave that description for those who do. However the concept is that you get various bits and pieces to build factories, for manufacturing parts and assembling them together, as well as acquiring the materials needed, you can automate every part of the factory. However, you have the risk of enraging the local aliens, that is if you build into their territory or produce too much pollution. You can build various defences to keep them off and make various weapons. We have a conveyor belt of ammunition all around our walls and a factory making it and placing it onto the conveyor belt, so we don't run out of ammunition should we need to defend the walls. I just finished building a rocket cannon shell factory, so I had to build oil and water pumps, feed them into an oil refinery, then that needed to connect up with various chemical plants some for producing sulphur and plastic, the sulphur had to be combined with some materials manufactured elsewhere to make explosives, so I had some assembling machines do that and finally an assembling machine to put all the bits and pieces together to make the explosive cannon shells. It sounds long winded, but once you build up your factory, you find you are just mass producing so much stuff, it's ridiculous, if you're automating, you can just leave all the machines to do the work.
TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Nov 2016 12:10
Factorio looks like a really fun game, but there's not much to compare to Infinifactory. Factorio isn't much of a puzzle game but is more akin to MineCraft mixed with an RTS; you have to gather resources and build up a base to survive and later conquer stuff.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-28 10:26:51
Your offset time is: 2024-03-28 10:26:51