Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers AppGameKit Corner / Outline for 3d mesh

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi all...

Im creating a 3d game with pixel art-like texture. But i think outlining the 3d mesh will make the result look even better. Any body have any modelling or any other trick to fake outline beside using shader (which i have 0 knowledge about it)

Thanks.
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2016 13:12
You have to use a shader because the outline that the viewer sees is different depending on the angle. It isn't just the edges of the model.
But like you, my shader knowledge is 0. Check out the stickied shader thread in AppGameKit Product Chat.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur
TutCity is being rebuilt
hoyoyo80
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks BatVink...its look like i need to erase that kind of effect from my game i ever learn C++ but quit when reaching pointer, link list etc etc..hahaha.. but i guess shader can be access once i learn C++ which take time to learn.. Thanks again
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Dec 2016 06:02
If you find an outline shader (usually part of a cartoon shader) then there are people here who can probably make it AGK-compatible for you.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur
TutCity is being rebuilt
29 games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Dec 2016 23:21 Edited at: 17th Dec 2016 23:22
Or you could cheat:

This use two objects but if you could always add the outline model to the main model.

I also recommend learning something about shaders. I'm no expert but I know a few basic things. I found this website useful, along with studying some of the AppGameKit specific shaders some have posted.

One slightly annoying thing when looking at older shaders people have posted is that the way the objects colour is loaded into the shader has changed (can't remember when) but if you see "uniform vec4 agk_ObjColor" you need to change it to "uniform vec4 agk_MeshDiffuse"
Hover Car Race Challenge! - available now on Google Play
Invaders of the 29th Dimension - available now on Google Play
Find me on indieDB
hoyoyo80
Years of Service
User Offline
Nice one 29 Games..i did try flipping normal of the mesh in 3d editor but not working as i expected. Maybe i missed the SetCullMode command and will try that. This will require a good lowpoly model bcos of extra faces but should do the trick

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-28 18:22:18
Your offset time is: 2024-03-28 18:22:18