Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / REDDIT Help

Author
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Dec 2016 13:30
Hi All,

I am looking to create a simple REDDIT post to announce our new Kickstarter campaign called MyWorld. Here is a link: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/tgc/myworld-imagine-create-play?ref=nav_search

Any advice would be most appreciated, thanks!

Lee
Hogging the awesome since 1999
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Dec 2016 13:57
I don't use Reddit, but the most general piece of advice is that most people ask the question...

What is in it for me?

If the answer is not clear, then you are simply spamming (like the numerous posts we delete here before they see the light of day). So any post should address this question for the reader. Start with something like...

"Get VIP access and a huge discount by backing our project"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur
TutCity is being rebuilt
MikeHart
AGK Bronze Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Is Paul working on this product for you guys?
Running Windows 7 Home, 64 bit, 8 GB ram, Athlon II X2 255, ATI Radeon HD 4200. Using AGK2 Tier 1.
LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Dec 2016 14:21
The Kickstarter campaign is for MyWorld, a sandbox game, written by Ravey and Adam (the artist). I've spent so many years in the engine room of tech so I barely know all the forms of social graphology, including Reddit. I will probably muddle through P.S. Lots of VIP Karma and virtual cookies for anyone who backs the Kickstarter (thanks for the advice BatVink)
Wilf
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Dec 2016 17:58
Further to what Batvink said, maybe you should highlight what platforms it will be available on. This is what Bluesnews (a PC centric site) said:

Quote: "Mentions PC at the very bottom of the page. "
- and only in a block of text about stretch goals at that.
Scraggle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Dec 2016 18:57
Karma and virtual cookies?
Who are you hoping to tempt with that?
AGK V2 user - Tier 1 (mostly)
hakimfullmetal
Years of Service
User Offline
Is this made in AppGameKit? Unity? Unreal?

How about trying to announce it on Facepunch? It's a major gaming forum.
You can post in General Game Discussion and Game Development General.
Its sure to attract lots of attention. I saw a lot of successful campaign/games being announced there.
https://facepunch.com/
MikeHart
AGK Bronze Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
It is made with Unity.
Running Windows 7 Home, 64 bit, 8 GB ram, Athlon II X2 255, ATI Radeon HD 4200. Using AGK2 Tier 1.
Ortu
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Dec 2016 20:11 Edited at: 20th Dec 2016 20:12
Since you have explicitly asked for advice, here is my admittedly critical opinion:

The key to a successful Kickstarter is to build a buzz about it *before* it launches. You need to make a big Day 1/Week 1 impact. People are less likely to back if its day 10/15/20 and pledges have just dribbled in. The successful high dollar projects mostly follow a similar pattern: big early start, slow middle, big finish. You have wasted significant campaign time if the first anyone hears about it is day 1 of its launch and you play catch up to build momentum uphill the entire way.

The game product itself seems interesting enough, but Unity, I mean really? Has TGC just flat given up on it's own products at this point? Why would anyone bother buying AppGameKit or GG if the developers themselves are using Unity. I mean I get why you guys would choose to use it, its a fully featured, modern development kit, but you have to understand that doing so (Under the official TGC entity and brand) is shooting your own products in the foot.

Re-branding yourselves more generally as game makers instead of as game development software makers may not be the worst idea, but this doesn't seem like the most 'considered' manner in which to go about doing so.

TGC as a professional company frequently shows a critical lack of effective business planning and management.

A single player RPG featuring a branching, player driven storyline of meaningful choices and multiple endings alongside challenging active combat and intelligent AI.
http://games.joshkirklin.com/sulium
xCept
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Dec 2016 22:55 Edited at: 20th Dec 2016 22:57
There are two subreddits that would be most pertinent, with /r/kickstarter being the most prominant (~36,500 subscribers).

/r/kickstarter
/r/crowdfundedgames

You basically just submit the link to the Kickstarter with an appropriate title. Redditors can be a tough crowd, though, and many submitted links are quickly downvoted and do not receive much visibility (and asking others to upvote a link is a violation of their terms and will get the account/link banned).

Truthfully the better way to have tackled this would had been to become a regular member there and post updates about the game to /r/gamedev/ including on their very popular Screenshot Saturday posts where developers share updates and get feedback. this is usually how games gain traction and followers especially on Reddit, by cultivating them and letting the community of fellow game developers and enthusiasts follow their progress.

If you try to just post the Kickstarter campaign to the very popular /r/gaming/ Subreddit you will be chastised and downvoted to oblivion, even more-so as a new non-regular user.
Cor
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Dec 2016 00:16
Quote: "The game product itself seems interesting enough, but Unity, I mean really? Has TGC just flat given up on it's own products at this point? Why would anyone bother buying AppGameKit or GG if the developers themselves are using Unity. I mean I get why you guys would choose to use it, its a fully featured, modern development kit, but you have to understand that doing so (Under the official TGC entity and brand) is shooting your own products in the foot. "

While I do love AppGameKit and think it is an awesome and fun tool to use, I do agree with this statement.
CJB
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Dec 2016 01:38
When I saw Unity on the Kickstarter, I thought "Oh no! They've turned to the dark side!". Haha. Glad to see it's not going to detract (please don't let it detract) from the development of AGK.

I would definitely like to see more detail, and demo footage, as at the moment, it looks like someone has tried to give 2nd Life a.. err... 2nd life

Certainly an interesting concept, and I'll probably back it.

P.s. This is the wrong forum for this post. A mod should move it to a more suitable location.
V2 T1 (Mostly)
Phone Tap!
Uzmadesign
Stab in the Dark software
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Badges, I don't need no stinkin badges
Posted: 21st Dec 2016 01:51 Edited at: 21st Dec 2016 02:05
Quote: "The game product itself seems interesting enough, but Unity, I mean really? Has TGC just flat given up on it's own products at this point? Why would anyone bother buying AppGameKit or GG if the developers themselves are using Unity. I mean I get why you guys would choose to use it, its a fully featured, modern development kit, but you have to understand that doing so (Under the official TGC entity and brand) is shooting your own products in the foot. "

AGK does not have enough 3d physics for them to use it.

Maybe they can give out My World forum badges.
The coffee is lovely dark and deep,and I have code to write before I sleep.
Alex_Peres
AGK Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Dec 2016 16:27 Edited at: 21st Dec 2016 23:56
Game engines creators have chosen Unity? How can you tell people to choose your engines if you don't trust them... lol
LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Dec 2016 06:46
@Ortu : Unity is just a tool, just like C++, good at some things, terrible at others. I've had a quick look at it and was a little unimpressed by the depth of what you can do on the C# side and the clumsy way in which you have to bounce from VS to Unity IDE each time you compile. Not my cup of tea as I prefer a page of code that I can compile and run in one click, and I dare say not your cup of tea too. All I know is that we cannot and should not try to be all things to all people, and there is plenty of room in our industry for a wide variety of tools and solutions. Part of my job now is responding to assumptions and managing expectations (not my most favorite job, I prefer coding) but to assure you on your post, here goes: "flat given up on it's own products" - no way. "shooting your own products in the foot" - if you are now leaving AppGameKit then I agree. "shows a critical lack of effective business planning and management" - been in business for 16 years when better developers than us have done the way of the doe-doe. Business doing okay, staff happy, products fun to work on and mostly happy community

Two of the things I'm doing today to help out the MyWorld Kickstarter launch is a possible Kickstarter Live broadcast in the PM (GMT) today and a Reddit AMA session. Basically, it's a place where you can ask me anything, and over the hour or so I attempt to answer them all. It is hoped I get asked about MyWorld so I can promote the Kickstarter, but I'm equally chuffed if it turns into a general Q&A about making games and tools (as per Reddit philosophy on sharing and community). If you have a question and want the answer within an hour, you can visit https://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/ at 9AM EASTERN and 2PM GMT TODAY.
LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Dec 2016 14:19
While I slowly learn Reddit, and for a limited time only (2PM to 3PM GMT on Thursday 22nd December 2017), get your instant answers here: https://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/5jqmv9/ive_been_coding_game_makers_for_over_20_years/
LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Dec 2016 15:42 Edited at: 22nd Dec 2016 15:43
Apparently, I need to provide more proof that I am me. So here goes:

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Preben
AGK Studio Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
... simple REDDIT post ...

I tried to get some post there , but i never used it before , not sure if they need some validation or something , was not able to post anything.

best regards Preben Eriksen,
CJB
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Dec 2016 13:53
Agreed. I had a very quick look at the live q&a, but could see anywhere to post.
V2 T1 (Mostly)
Phone Tap!
Uzmadesign
LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Dec 2016 15:53
Yes, they deleted my interview as am apparently not me (yet)
damothegreat
User Banned
Posted: 23rd Dec 2016 16:09
@Ortu and @Lee

I started in Spectrum Days of the loveable basic coding and writing up code with the books they had those days (woah talking 80s now) - when I ploughed through the spectrum game book and familiarised myself on what code could do - I was flabbergasted and so excited about game programming

I then was bought an Amiga... Welll.. My social time had come to and end and wow making games left right and centre, especially with AMOS Professional, a profound gaming tool.

Wrote a small few pages of code to achive enormous results voila - results were etranomical to my taste of game programming and I never left it be... Sleep / Code / Eat was my routine.

Unlike C++ (write Enormous amount of code to produce the smallest amount of result) - Headache!!!!!!

I left it after college days to start work and it dissipated cause Europress didn't work with it. I later then found ClickTeam products by Francois Lionet and this just wasn't my taste. so I was dumbfounded and never thought that I would get into gaming again.

Then wow - this year I stumbled across AppGameKit and WOAH factor increased to a staggering WOW - AppGameKit was absolutely the joy and most ever best purchase I will make in my career.

Well done Lee - keep up the good work of this amazing product - it just the job perfectly for me.

Using Tier 1 AppGameKit V2
Started coding with AMOS
Anything is possible if put mind to it
LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Dec 2016 02:36 Edited at: 24th Dec 2016 02:37
Don't thank me, thank Paul, he's the genius behind that one, I'm just the guy who keeps the lights on Seems Reddit are quick to reject my identity and delete my post, but slow to respond to mounting bodies of evidence. Just in case they don't read their own messages, I have posted what I replied here, in case they visit here first. For those who don't know, Reddit is a place where you can post text messages and links, but navigating the ocean of rules can be a tough exercise:

The guidelines on proof suggested I take a selfie with the AMA details on a card, and then post it on my company website in a way that confirms my authority on that site, the photo is associated with my profile which shows TGC Lead Developer.

For an endorsement from an authority, here is a link from an Intel interview shortly after I became an Intel Black Belt: https://software.intel.com/en-us/videos/lee-bamber-on-how-to-become-an-intel-black-belt

I am also included in my companies Wiki entry which mentions me: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Game_Creators

So far, the latest I have from Reddit goes as follows: The picture isn't loading in the forum, plus, Reddit don't see how a selfie proves any proof. I am not a public figure, so just showing my face doesn't prove everything I wrote in my title/description. They also require paperwork/documentation/etc that proves I have been a game developer for the last 20 years. It would also seem that posting my photo on the official TGC site under my very distinctive profile showing me holding a Reddit sign with date and name does NOT suffice as public proof. The saga continues (probably after Christmas now).

So for those who did not get a chance to see my replies (during the 45 minutes I was not deleted on Reddit), here is the interview in full. Reddit cut and paste below (sorry for the lack of formatting):

riceflavouredvtec 6 points 1 day ago
What have you learned from making FPS Creator over the years? Your favourite piece of usermade content for FPSC?
permalinkembedsavereportgive goldREPLY
[–]LeeBamberTGC[S] 7 points 1 day ago
That writing entire graphics engines with a handful of people is probably not a good idea. By the time you finish, the team with 50 people have gone around the planet twice before you've got your shoe on. I think my favorite 'oh wow' moments came from seeing how the modding community took the open source code and ran with it, and as far as I know, they are still running!
permalinkembedsaveparentEDITdisable inbox repliesdeleteREPLY
[–]nottsgal 4 points 1 day ago
what game have you worked on that you most hated once complete?
[–]LeeBamberTGC[S] 14 points 1 day ago
That would have to be Urgo The Caveman for the Commodore 64, only had enough memory for the sprite images to face one direction so to go back to earlier levels you had to walk backwards
[–]IvanErtlov 4 points 1 day ago
Do you have the time to play some of the games people create with your engines / game makers?
[–]LeeBamberTGC[S] 3 points 1 day ago
Very much so, and in fact I am very much part of the development on the grounds that a bug has been found that I need to fix. I get to play a LOT of games that way I especially enjoy the news that one of them has gone on to do really well such as StarWraith series.
[–]hakimhakimhakim 3 points 1 day ago
Do you plan on adding VR features for game-making tools/software that your company made? VR is a big thing now. Or do you feel it's not the top priority, and your game-making tools does not need it now?
[–]LeeBamberTGC[S] 2 points 1 day ago
I added support for the first Oculus DK1, more to try the tech than anything else, and was mightily impressed (and did not get sick). I've seen VR come and go a few times, but I think it's here to stay now. I still want to see more devices out there before I attempt to sell a product into that market. The best VR apps are designed specifically for VR, so it would have to be a huge dev commitment. I even know of some companies who are exclusively putting all their eggs in the VR basket so the confidence is there, and a recent game just passed the $1m mark in revenues so for indies it's a great new niche if you can work through the various fragmented API choices.
[–]earthling4777 6 points 1 day ago
In those +20 years, what have been the most significant changes that you have seen in the world of game creation?
[–]LeeBamberTGC[S] 5 points 1 day ago
Back in the day, we only had a handful of what you would call 'game makers', the rest of the time you had to write it yourself with C and APIs, or buy in a £250,000 middleware engine. Over the last two decades the access to rapid development tools has soured. It means anyone can make a game if they want to, without years learning strange alien languages. The other significant change of course is the speed, memory and capability of the hardware we get to play with, removing many of the barriers that hindered us in the past. Can you imagine doing your graphics on a piece of graph paper and adding up the dots to enter your art in by numbers?
[–]rolllingthunder 2 points 1 day ago
Thanks for doing this AMA!
What educational tools/path would you recommend for someone who wants to develop games with no coding experience? What engines/languages would be the initial "must have" for the foreseeable future ?
When I first started I used something called BASIC, which was actually designed to teach coding. These days, there is so much choice it's easy to get lost. For a programming career, I would recommend an industry language (C++, C#, Javascript) and check out sites like Udemy to follow their courses for a fast track to getting the knowledge. If you are more interested in art/design/audio or some non-coding path, any drag and drop game maker would be a great introduction. As I am old-school and bias, I would say grab yourself Visual Studio and C++, it's more work but you'll be prepared for most things and your code will be faster than anyone else's
[–]GraPhiX_GG 2 points 1 day ago
most if not all your products are for windows systems what about Linux, either Developing for it or Developing on it? Is there a certification process? Why is it that developers seem so averse to the platform is it really that hard to replace DirectX with OpenGL/Vulkan? If Source, Unreal, Cryengine, and Unity all support Linux and make it easy to build for that platform, what arguments are there against shipping for that platform?
[–]LeeBamberTGC[S] 1 point 1 day ago
No arguments from me, I think Linux is a great OS. The only software my company do for Linux is AppGameKit but I could never get the hang of it myself, too much like Unix which I was forced to eat as a child (like sprouts). Funny thing, I was using Linux a few weeks ago in Seattle to control the brain of a robot around an obstacle course. It was good fun, and Ubuntu desktop was a welcome harbor, but that Terminal Window still gives me nightmares
[–]hakimhakimhakim 2 points 1 day ago
You are well-know for game-makers developer. But do you have any plan on getting involved significantly on developing an actual 'big' game project? If given a choice, what kind of game would you want to develop the most? RMP? MMORPG? FPS? Puzzle? Platformers?
It's funny that I started out just making games, all kinds of games, mainly for magazines and shareware, and it was only when I had to start earning a living did I get emersed in the game tools side of things. I have not considered a return to pure game making, probably because it sounds like too much fun and someone might take it away from me, and make me sad. If I had the chance, and my present obligations suddenly ceased, I would probably like to do a fully immersive VR experience. Not so much a game with predictable expectations, but something that could take the unique qualities of VR (which we've NEVER had before), and augment it with body capture, sense awareness and other tricks to really fool the brain into a new experience. Always liked the idea of an interactive movie where you could step into the scene, look around and mess up the actors lines
[–]mattpilz 2 points 1 day ago
Lee, my man! 17 years ago I stumbled across DarkBASIC, which was my first serious exploration into the world of 3D game development on PC (complete with the super futuristc IDE). I recall it being at v0.4 beta when I discovered it. I've actively followed and supported TGC's progress ever since, from DBP to DGDK, FPSC, AppGameKit, GameGuru and so on. It was a real privelage to meet up with you in person at IDF a couple years back, from across the pond. I really do owe much of my earliest successes and programming inspirations to you and your products!
While I've had to succumb to more traditional and rigid programming platforms for much of my career, the indie side of me is still in love with your company's tech and I continue to use your products when time permits to quickly churn out prototypes and applications. A casual game I developed on a whim with the original DBPro many years back was featured as 'game of the month' in PCZone Magazine, and in more recent times you'll recall I won the gaming grand prize in Intel's first App Innovation Contest, with an AGK-created app. So again, just wanted to say thank you.
QUESTION: Jim Sterling has taken a liking to reviewing GameGuru produced "content" on his popular YouTube channel, never in a favorable manner. It seems there has been a surge of 'games' that truly live up to GameGuru's motto of "in a matter of minutes" whereby the creators throw some prefabs onto a random map, export it and then submit it on Steam to try and make a quick buck. What are your thoughts about this kind of publicity for the product and TGC's image, did you anticipate this type of output when you drastically lowered the cost and rebranded the product for a much younger audience, and do you have regrets about adding standalone EXE support so early on in GameGuru's life when it still lacks some essential features to create more compelling and complete experiences?
Best wishes on your latest Kickstarter.
I know I should be miffed that GameGuru is getting bashed because of the asset flipping antics of our more eager community members, but you may remember something called 'Shoot Em Up Construction Kit' and the flood of almost identical games on every cover disk for the next four years. I am sure the world will not thank me for creating GameGuru, but out of the diaspora will emerge a few users who will find their calling with GG and move on to a fantastic career in the games industry, whether its design, art or eventually coding. That's reward enough for me, and I keep my products interesting enough to keep my small team in bread and cheese.
[–]I_just_work_here_man 2 points 1 day ago
Was there ever a game made with your Engine that made you angry? The other side of the spectrum , was there ever a game that you were surprised how much one can do with your engine ?
[–]LeeBamberTGC[S] 3 points 1 day ago
Strangely, even the games that have been positively nailed to the wall find a place in my heart. It's like trying to be angry at art, it may not be pretty to most, but to the creator it's their magnificent octopus. I remember a YouTube reviewer who could not stop laughing, the game was dire, but the fun was real. My Little Apocalypse Town remains one of my favorite community projects, and the author is steadfast about not releasing it to Steam until it's perfect. Can't wait to see that one released!
[–]I_just_work_here_man 1 point 1 day ago
A sorry if I was unclear, I meant angry as in ,made a very offensive game with your engine, not just bad game.
permalinkembedsaveparentreportgive goldREPLY
I don't recall anything offensive. Most users have an idea to sell their wares, so they make sure they can pass scrutiny from places like Steam
[–]hakimhakimhakim 1 point 1 day ago
As in, a hentai game?
[–]LeeBamberTGC[S] 1 point 17 hours ago
With our tools you can make anything you wish, for better or for worse
[–]cazique 2 points 1 day ago
Did you ever work on any MUDs? Other than BASIC, that was my intro to programming.
I did a lot of VERY early MUD style games on the 8-bit computers but nothing you could call finished My first computer was a VIC-20 and it came with a spiral bound massive silver book full of help on coding in BASIC. Of course back then the symbols were voodoo and when the computer sprung to life with a game you could play, it seemed like magic. Ah, the days of innocence!
I somebody made new games that turns out to be popular using DarkBasic Pro, is there a possibility that you will necro it back from dead and update the engine with new graphic?
[–]LeeBamberTGC[S] 1 point 15 hours ago
It's currently unlikely that DBPro will make a miraculous recovery from its slumber. I open sourced it at the start of 2016 and expect it to follow it's own winding course now. I believe someone has already improved it to add support for DirectX 9Ex. As you can imagine, it would take a lot more work to get it to UnReal standards
[–]NottaGrammerNasi 1 point 1 day ago
As an IT guy who'd like to get into app development, perhaps small apps for Android, maybe eventual mobile game development, what direction would you suggest I go? I have a basic knowledge of how scripting works but no concrete knowledge in any specific language.
Try App Game Kit 2. You can make apps for Windows, Mac, Android, Raspberri Pi on it. The BASIC language can't get any easier
[–]user0fdoom 1 point 22 hours ago
I second AGK. It'll be easy to pick up if you know scripting, it much more complicated than that. It's cross platform (Mac, Windows, Android, iOS, HTML5 export, rPI) and you can deploy to all platforms without any code rewriting.
It has all the basic commands you could want (graphics, audio, 3D, physics, shaders, collision), but is perhaps lacking in some advanced commands (although it does have some pretty advanced stuff).
I've been using it for about 4 years now and tried a lot of other dev solutions for mobile and I keep coming back to agk. It's mostly for hobby coders, but I think one or two programmers make a full time income off of it.
Best part is, it's made by Lee's company too! I'm not sure exactly how much he has to do with it though haha
I agree with the other responses, AppGameKit 2 is your best bet. We used it on a few of our non-tool products including our DTS Learn To Drive apps which sit nicely at the top of the UK charts
[–]Mohd0508 1 point 1 day ago
Favorite ice cream flavor?
[–]LeeBamberTGC[S] 1 point 1 day ago
Mint Chocolate Chip
And the one with the honeycomb bits in. Hmm.
hakimfullmetal
Years of Service
User Offline
Despite everything though, I don't think its a good idea to announce My World in this forum.
People might get discouraged. Like, big time.
If it's announced anywhere else, even though the creator is one of TheGameCreators staff, the it'll be no problem. It looks like a great game after all. People understands why it's made like so.
But then again, I'm just a freeloader here. My words probably doesn't worth much.
Ortu
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Dec 2016 03:25
Forum attachments do not load and are unavailable unless you are logged in with a forum account.

A single player RPG featuring a branching, player driven storyline of meaningful choices and multiple endings alongside challenging active combat and intelligent AI.
http://games.joshkirklin.com/sulium
GarBenjamin
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Dec 2016 16:19
Hey I know this isn't Reddit-proof-of-you-related but just wanted to mention the last I knew Unity explicitly forbid use of their game engine to make a competing product. With competing product being one that allowed end users to create games.

I guess in this case you guys worked out some kind of deal or have they loosened up on that?
TI/994a (BASIC) -> C64 (BASIC/PASCAL/ASM/Others) -> Amiga (AMOS/BLITZ/ASM/C/Gamesmith) -> DOS (C/C++/Allegro) -> Windows (C++/C#/Monkey X/GL Basic/Unity/Others)
CJB
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Dec 2016 17:00
Quote: "or have they loosened up on that?"
No, it's still in there under section 2.6(d) - "you may not: use the Unity Software for competitive analysis or to develop a competing product or service;"... Would be interesting to hear how that was resolved (before I make a pledge)
V2 T1 (Mostly)
Phone Tap!
Uzmadesign
GarBenjamin
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Dec 2016 17:11 Edited at: 28th Dec 2016 17:13
@CJB yep that is it. It has come up on the Unity forums a few times in the past 3 years I have been there. Somone asks about using Unity to do something like this and the answer is "no". Now you CAN probably make it Unity specific putting it on the Unity Asset Store to be used only by Unity developers. Possibly. But not a general user game development tool because they view that as taking their proprietary solutions and using it against them to compete in the same marketplace.

Really would have been so much better to have done this based on Dark Basic Pro or AGK2 in my opinion. That way we've had benefited from any R&D and updates needed along the way and there would be no question as to the origin of the underlying tech in the new product.
TI/994a (BASIC) -> C64 (BASIC/PASCAL/ASM/Others) -> Amiga (AMOS/BLITZ/ASM/C/Gamesmith) -> DOS (C/C++/Allegro) -> Windows (C++/C#/Monkey X/GL Basic/Unity/Others)
Mobiius
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Dec 2016 18:22
Quote: "Really would have been so much better to have done this based on Dark Basic Pro or AGK2 in my opinion. "

Or based on GameGuru.
GarBenjamin
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Dec 2016 18:28 Edited at: 28th Dec 2016 18:59
@Mobiius oh yeah. GameGuru. I forgot all about it because I recently grabbed GameGuru as well from Steam but unfortunately it doesn't even start on my computer. It tries to launch and just fails every time with an error "The application was unable to start correctly (0xc0000022). Click to close the application."

I did a little online searching but didn't see anything helpful for it so I forgot all about GG and haven't tried it since until just now to get the wording of the error message.

Anyway, yeah GG would probably have been a good base as well.

UPDATE: now that I remembered I had GG I went and did the normal stuff of setting it to launch as Admin and now it loads fine. So no issues. Just normal Windows foolishness.
damothegreat
User Banned
Posted: 28th Dec 2016 18:38
If it helps, someone else had 0x0000022 issue loading AppGameKit instead a while ago and fixed it

https://forum.thegamecreators.com/thread/218392?page=1#msg2592291

Maybe can do the same with GG
Damo
Using Tier 1 AppGameKit V2
Started coding with AMOS
Anything is possible if put mind to it
GarBenjamin
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Dec 2016 18:56
@damothegreat. I don't want to hijack their thread with GG talk. But anyway I actually just came here to edit my post above to say now that I remembered I had GG I went and did the normal stuff of setting it to launch as Admin and now it loads fine. So no issues. Just normal Windows foolishness.
xCept
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: " the last I knew Unity explicitly forbid use of their game engine to make a competing product. With competing product being one that allowed end users to create games."

MyWorld is not a game maker. Although Rick originally described it as such, the final wording in the Kickstarter makes it clear that it is just another Unity game that allows players to create their own maps and share them with others through the Steam workshop. You won't be able to export anything as a standalone game. It's just a multiplayer game made in Unity not unlike any other that allows players to create custom maps from within.

That said, the Kickstarter campaign is not looking too hopeful right now. It flat-lined in donations over the past week with only about £60 average daily donations and is only 14% of the way to the goal. It would take a lot of work from TGC to somehow market it enough to meet the goal at this point.

Honestly the campaign felt rushed and ill-prepared to me. TGC never announced the game nor began promoting it on their own before the Kickstarter launched, so nobody had a clue about it until that moment. The early testers were only given a couple days to review the proposed Kickstarter and make suggestions before TGC launched it, and it was right before the holidays which is probably not the best time for people to discover it and donate.
GarBenjamin
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Dec 2016 21:25 Edited at: 28th Dec 2016 23:47
@xCept ah okay. That is a big difference. The way I keep seeing it advertised is "a unique multiplayer sandbox world where game makers and game players can create, share and play games."

If it is more along the line of Little Big Planet where people are simply making levels inside the game and all must have the game to play them that is likely a different case. Thanks for clarifying.

Hopefully it does well for them. I want to see TGC and their products around for a long time to come. Particularly AppGameKit and GameGuru which I hope follow the pattern set by other major dev tools such as Unity and Unreal Engine continually updating to version 2, 3, 4, 5 and so on. The biggest problem with most competitors I have seen is dropping their products and doing something else. That alienates their own user base and makes it so the products can never really make their mark on the game dev world!
anwserman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Dec 2016 20:28
Quote: "he biggest problem with most competitors I have seen is dropping their products and doing something else. That alienates their own user base and makes it so the products can never really make their mark on the game dev world!"

This is the problem with The Game Creators. They're very scattered brained when it comes to projects, and they drop the ball on the existing ones. Instead of focusing on My World - which is a niche tool at best, a detraction from AppGameKit at worst - they should add features that no other tool besides Unity can provide. Ya know, like tvOS support and not letting Tier2 iOS/Android support die. GameMaker and ClickTeam Fusion do not support tvOS and would be a *huge* market for AppGameKit to expand into, as the alternatives are Unity3D or native development.

But hey, go Kickstart another project from TGC that will eventually die - like Freedom Engine, FPS Creator X, 3D Game Maker. SUPPORT WHAT YOU ALREADY HAVE and stick with what you know please. This is my biggest gripe with The Game Creators.
Hi there. My name is Dug. I have just met you, and I love you.
MikeHart
AGK Bronze Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Yes, with every new product, you divide your userbase. Some stay with the old one, some go with the new tool and some leave. Ok, you get new users too. But it has a huge impact on your userbase if you drop products.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-29 21:19:47
Your offset time is: 2024-09-29 21:19:47