Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / tvOS Support

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Dec 2016 13:45 Edited at: 22nd Dec 2016 13:49
I'd rather pay $50 to The Game Creators for them to properly maintain and expand AppGameKit capabilities - and not neglect this amazing tool- than another offshoot like "My World".

The lack of tvOS support - and the opportunities it creates - is appalling. The only other tool that has this support (targeted towards independent devs) is Unity3D, and that's much more involved to develop for.
Hi there. My name is Dug. I have just met you, and I love you.
apocolyp4
Years of Service
User Offline
When I did my research into using the AppGameKit tier 1 HTML5 export to work on Windows 10 store/Xbox One I did a very brief look into TVOS support. I discovered it should be technically possible to run a AppGameKit app/game in TVOS using impactjs found at impactjs..com . Unlike the Windows 10 and Xbox One I did not test this out practically myself (on my to do list). The gamepad support used by the HTML5 AppGameKit export is the same used by impactjs for inputs for the Apple TV controls so theoretically it should be possible to support tvOS, though I have no idea on how it would perform.
anwserman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Dec 2016 17:28
Quote: "The gamepad support used by the HTML5 AppGameKit export is the same used by impactjs for inputs for the Apple TV controls so theoretically it should be possible to support tvOS, though I have no idea on how it would perform. "

That is part of what makes this so frustrating. We already have the player built for iOS, and it should be relatively easy to port the code to tvOS considering it substantially shares and uses the same code. My main point of frustration is that The Game Creators seem to waste a bunch of their limited resources to create a bunch of additional projects (FPS Creator X, My World, Freedom Engine, Game Guru) that eventually will get abandoned, while neglecting their properties that *do* get regular use.

I've used AppGameKit and Unity3D, and I like AppGameKit because it is much more 'hands-on' and fits my programming style more. I'd start creating a ton of more apps of I had tvOS support, and port my existing ones over. Instead, I look at the iOS subforum and see it basically abandoned, there's hardly any updates, and now I see a brand new product being released that... given past history, will die a slow painful death. I kickstarted both V1 and V2 of AppGameKit, and if they want more money from me so I can get tvOS support then I'll give some.

It's just highly frustrating to see yet another new product get created *again* when their bread and butter is being neglected.
Hi there. My name is Dug. I have just met you, and I love you.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-29 21:31:19
Your offset time is: 2024-09-29 21:31:19