Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / ERROR: Failed to open file for reading main.agc

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hey there,
so earlier when I wanted to make my game and compile/run it,
it gave me an error in the message window, saying: "error: Failed to open file for reading main.agc"
so I couldnt compile or run it after that. I have tried to reinstall and delete all the folders and tried to look up the error in the browser but there were no solutions.
I have clicked on the mail symbol on this page to get help but, they said that paul was on christams vacation and that he couldnt help me, and told me that I should make a thread.
Please help!

THank you for helping , but sorry for my bad english.

//Alfred
Markus
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Dec 2016 22:47
just this project, you tryed other project what happens there?
you can locate and open this main.agc file and open it with notepad?
file/folder permissions?
your ide run with user permissions?
if this file is locked, you restarted your pc?
AGK (Steam) V2.0.22 : Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit : AMD (16.12.1) Radeon R7 265 : Mac mini OS Sierra (10.12)
Dybing
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Dec 2016 06:00
Quick little search to a similar problem:

Right click the problem Files Folder on C and choose properties.
Select the Security Tab
Click the Edit Button
Click the Add Button
Type the word 'Everyone' Into the box that is labeled 'Enter the object names to select'
Click the Check Names Button
Click OK
Now select the Everyone group and check the Full Control check box and click OK
Now select the Every group and click the Advanced Button
Click the Disable inheritance button
Click Convert inherited permissions into explicit permission on this object
Check the box that says Replace all child object permissions entries with inheritable permissions entries from this object.
Click apply
Click yes when prompted if you want to continue
Click OK
Click OK again
You may have to reboot or at least log off and log back on for your account to receive a new access token with the new permissions.

And for future reference, make sure you save your projects on another disk or partition from wherever your OS (and AGK) is installed. Ideally, you also want this folder to autosync to some cloud service like Google Disk, Dropbox or Box. Or even push into a github repo if so inclined to make your work available to others and get version control for free. Anyhow, this keeps your important source files backed up and safe for just about any mishap that could happen.
Kot
Years of Service
User Offline
Doesn't matter on which disk I save my project. Moreover, I can compile sample programs, but when I create a new project in the same samples folder I still can't compile my project. No other program/editor makes these kinds of issues.
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Mar 2017 08:04
What error do you get? The same as the original poster?
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur
TutCity is being rebuilt
Kot
Years of Service
User Offline
Yes, the same
Kot
Years of Service
User Offline
Problem solved (I think)... seems that there can be no regional character in any part of the path to the file - nor in the filename, nor in any other folder name leading to that file :/ Your editor/compiler couldn't find the file because couldn't read the path properly :\ strange that you've made it this way :/
And yes, it was exactly the same error.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-30 01:30:18
Your offset time is: 2024-09-30 01:30:18