Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / Multiplayer games with AGK

Author
AGK Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Dec 2016 18:19 Edited at: 24th Dec 2016 19:24
Hi there,
I made a quick search but I didn't find exactly what I am looking for. Is AppGameKit able to create an MMO game such like this:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.supercell.clashroyale
What are the prerequisites? Is there any short tutorial for creating a game of this type. (A tutorial that explains at least the basics)
Markus
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Dec 2016 21:11
MMO requires a selfmade server software hosted in the cloud, a database, also some money for monthly cost.
a full concept, a lot of time, experience, strong will, luck, some good tools, think about which target systems.
overall you must answer if it is possible for you.
so i suggest making a prototype with the key features.

AGK (Steam) V2.0.22 : Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit : AMD (16.12.1) Radeon R7 265 : Mac mini OS Sierra (10.12)
Carharttguy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Dec 2016 22:57
This is perfectly possible with AGK2. I don't think there are tutorials for these types of games.
george++
AGK Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Dec 2016 07:05
Given the abilities of the AppGameKit, could you describe what would be the biggest project for a programmer? I still don't have a clear picture of AGK's abilities in network programming.
george++
AGK Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Dec 2016 07:05
Given the abilities of the AppGameKit, could you describe what would be the biggest project for a programmer? I still don't have a clear picture of AGK's abilities in network programming.
Markus
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Dec 2016 10:24
any limitation can break a project and you need plan b.
agk v2 have Sockets and HTTP commands for networking.
in past, my biggest brake in projects was that the game tends into something that i not want or i need different / better (or can't solve) and that required rewrite and rebuild a lot.

AGK (Steam) V2.0.22 : Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit : AMD (16.12.1) Radeon R7 265 : Mac mini OS Sierra (10.12)
Carharttguy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Dec 2016 17:46
george++ wrote: "Given the abilities of the AppGameKit, could you describe what would be the biggest project for a programmer? I still don't have a clear picture of AGK's abilities in network programming."

I don't think I fully understand your question: AppGameKit has TCPsockets, that's about everything you will ever need for most games. Only downside is that it doesn't support UDP sockets. But I think, if you're getting in trouble because TCP doesn't suit your need anymore and you really need UDP, you will probably use another engine already. (because of other limitations, graphic wise)

The example of Clash Royale (which isn't an MMO as far as I can see, it's more of a dueling game) will perfectly work on TCP.

Only if you're writing a game that needs REALLY fast data transfer (MMOFPS for example), you'll need UDP and AppGameKit won't suffice.

Mathias
george++
AGK Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Dec 2016 21:10 Edited at: 25th Dec 2016 21:12
@Carharttguy: Yes, you are right, the Clash Royale is not a MMO game, but it needs a lot of data to be manipulated at the same time because many duels could be run.
I am wondering if the AppGameKit can be used for a game like this. If the answer is yes then I will invest time to learn more about networking. Otherwise I will have to look for another tool.
I think that Markus got the point.
Carharttguy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Dec 2016 22:17
Hello george++, my bad understanding might be because my mother tongue isn't English.
But as far as I can tell, it's perfectly possbile. I see no 'obstacles' when using AGK2 for something like Clash Royale.
However, I would implement the sever side in another language. AppGameKit is nice for client side, not for server side.

Have a very nice Christmas!
george++
AGK Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Dec 2016 04:56 Edited at: 26th Dec 2016 05:01
Hi Carharttguy,
I think this makes things in my mind more clear.
As I mentioned before I have not knowledge regarding programming the server-client model. If someone have link resources about this it would be helpful. Let's say that the server side is fully functional. How the AppGameKit client will interact with the server?

Merry Christmas and a happy new year!
Carharttguy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Dec 2016 21:57
Hello

The client-server model is very simple, I will try to explain:
-The client and server communicate with messages, just like people.
-The server is always right. ALWAYS.
-The client can never be trusted, NEVER.

Read this as introduction: http://www.wildbunny.co.uk/blog/2012/10/09/how-to-make-a-multi-player-game-part-1/

The AppGameKit client will probably use GetSocketString and SendSocketString for communicating with the server.
george++
AGK Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Dec 2016 04:02
Thank you Carharttguy. It seems I have a long way to go

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-29 21:21:35
Your offset time is: 2024-09-29 21:21:35