Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / Spriter Pro + AGK - How to connect skeleton animation to sprite's animation?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Dec 2016 18:49
Hi!

I just bought Spriter Pro from Humble Bundle GameDev Software Bundle.
I'm really enjoying using it but today I tried to make sprite with spriter animation.
Aren't there any way to connect sprite to the spriter's animation skeleton or do I really have to export spritesheet and use the basic setspriteanimation command?
If there's no another way, is TheGameCreators going to add those commands?

I mean for example:

Best Regards,
AreCustomize
"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."
-Albert Einstein
damothegreat
User Banned
Posted: 29th Dec 2016 20:53
as there will probably loads of sprite animation techniques and software about these days - and Spriter is absolutely brill for it.

I don't think it would be feasible for TGC to incorporate commandset for the animation file .SCON - cause they are two completely different systems and trying to
work on many of the animation software to import into AppGameKit with their own commands - I would suggest would be not feasible and daunting task to do for all

The way I do it, is create the skeleton and animate them in Sprite and export to spritesheet and then use a bit of AppGameKit code to read the sheet / separate them into
animation frame that already exist in AGK

Damo

Using Tier 1 AppGameKit V2
Started coding with AMOS
Anything is possible if put mind to it
AreCustomize
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Dec 2016 20:59
That's what I thought. And I did the animation that way. I just don't understand what is the purpose of the skeleton commands which currently exist.
Like, are they just meant for animations that stay in the same position?
What is the point of example project where you have character walking but you can't make the character move in the 2D world?

-AreCustomize
-Albert Einstein
damothegreat
User Banned
Posted: 29th Dec 2016 21:03 Edited at: 29th Dec 2016 21:05
I think the more experienced AppGameKit members here will be able to explain further with the Skeleton commands - I'm still a newby since Oct 2016

Its only what I have learnt so for is my comment.

Maybe others be able to comment further

3D haunts me to get to grips with at the moment lol

Damo
Using Tier 1 AppGameKit V2
Started coding with AMOS
Anything is possible if put mind to it
CJB
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Dec 2016 09:28
Quote: "Like, are they just meant for animations that stay in the same position?"
Yes, I think that's it. You'd generally move your sprites with code. Here's a really quick example of moving the example project walking character:

Insert this before the 'do' at line 20:

Insert this after the 'do' at line 24:

This will just make the character walk off the edge of the screen, but demonstrates that it is possible to move the sprite in the 2d world.

V2 T1 (Mostly)
Phone Tap!
Uzmadesign
AreCustomize
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Dec 2016 10:10
Thanks for the code sample.
I also thought that kind of thing is possible (moving skeleton) but the most important thing for games;
ablity to set physics for player and enemy isn't possible which is pretty bad thing.
For now I just make separate spritesheets for each spriter animation and use the basic setspriteanimation command.
If physics for skeletons and ability to set them as sprites is going to be added in the future that would be wonderful!
I might try to add dummysprite with physics and move it relative to the skeleton animation if that would work at all.

-AreCustomize
-Albert Einstein
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jan 2017 08:49
Not sure I understand the problem, you can load a character and atlas image from spriter and spine and use the animations or manually set bone angles / positions.

I have uploaded an example project that does this here: https://forum.thegamecreators.com/thread/216632
Using AppGameKit V2 Tier 1
AreCustomize
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jan 2017 17:25
Thanks again baxslash!

Your example project is awesome learning material. I check it up!
It works just like I thought, you simply update the skeleton's position relative to the sprite.
You're such a great help.
And also Happy New Year!

-AreCustomize
-Albert Einstein
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jan 2017 17:37
Glad to help Happy New Year to you too!