Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / The AGK Basic Editor buttons and mousewheel not working most of the time

Author
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Dec 2016 18:57
Hello!

The first version of AppGameKit I tried the mousewheel and buttons (the Compile, Run, etc) strip of buttons at the top of the Editor window worked fine.
I could easily scroll up and down code with the mousewheel and the buttons could be clicked.

I wasn't going to post anything and just deal with it but it is annoying. With the the latest version (2.0.22) the mousewheel does nothing. Yet it works fine in every other program I use (web pages, Notepad, Notepad++, Visual Studio, etc).
The buttons used to work fine as well but in this version they are like static images only. Cannot be clicked on. I use the menu (File, Build, etc) to work.

Any ideas what the problem could be and is there anything I can do to fix this on my end?

I've searched the forums but only found posts relating to programming to use mousewheel as input.
TI/994a (BASIC) -> C64 (BASIC/PASCAL/ASM/Others) -> Amiga (AMOS/BLITZ/ASM/C/Gamesmith) -> DOS (C/C++/Allegro) -> Windows (C++/C#/Monkey X/GL Basic/Unity/Others)
CJB
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Dec 2016 20:28
Works fine for me. Did you install the latest version over the top of an old version? That can cause all sorts of issues. Best try to do a fresh install to a new folder.
V2 T1 (Mostly)
Phone Tap!
Uzmadesign
GarBenjamin
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Dec 2016 21:08
I have no idea how it installed. I got it on Steam. Think it just auto-updated or something.

I can try the Steam check integrity thing though later and maybe that will resolve it.
TI/994a (BASIC) -> C64 (BASIC/PASCAL/ASM/Others) -> Amiga (AMOS/BLITZ/ASM/C/Gamesmith) -> DOS (C/C++/Allegro) -> Windows (C++/C#/Monkey X/GL Basic/Unity/Others)
MikeHart
AGK Bronze Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Maybe it is the steam overlay causing it? Cause my non Steam version works fine with the mouse wheel.
Running Windows 7 Home, 64 bit, 8 GB ram, Athlon II X2 255, ATI Radeon HD 4200. Using AGK2 Tier 1.
GarBenjamin
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Dec 2016 21:27
@MikeHart I already disabled the overlay in Steam. Oddly that only appears over the top of my game project windows when I run them but it was annoying so I disabled it in the Steam client.

I thought I had already done the integrity check as well but cannot remember 100% so will do that as soon as I can.
Ortu
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Dec 2016 02:17
Could always just remove local content and reinstall

A single player RPG featuring a branching, player driven storyline of meaningful choices and multiple endings alongside challenging active combat and intelligent AI.
http://games.joshkirklin.com/sulium
GarBenjamin
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Dec 2016 04:20 Edited at: 30th Dec 2016 05:48
@Ortu I plan to try that next. At the moment just came here for a quick break. Don't want to get into uninstall & reinstall right now because I just started a new project a bit ago.
Always... well not always... more like lately the past few days for some reason I've been getting a very strong desire to make a raycasting engine. Not really a textured one but one of the old "old school" solid walls rendering kind. Figured AGK2 should be perfect to knock this out.

I will do the reinstall sometime tomorrow though.

---------------------------

EDIT: Since I wasn't actually into coding yet except for some small tests trying out ideas. More the thinking & researching stage at this point. I went ahead and did the uninstall and install.
Unfortunately, it didn't change a thing.

I am kind of getting used to it at this point anyway. Just would be nice to have the mousewheel scrolling and buttons working. Especially the code scrolling. So much faster than having to click and drag the bar up and down.
Ortu
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Dec 2016 06:58
Kind of a strange one.

What OS/version are you on?

Anything special / unusual about the mouse?

Can you use the mouse normally within the text editing portion? select text, set cursor etc?

A single player RPG featuring a branching, player driven storyline of meaningful choices and multiple endings alongside challenging active combat and intelligent AI.
Markus
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Dec 2016 09:40
about scrolling, maybe the mouse driver have a settings for scroll wheel. see system preferences/mouse tab wheel.
also look if you have some special mouse software in auto run. (see task manager tab)
myself using only the mouse driver from microsoft = hid mouse.
try remove all mices in device manager, also this hidden one, this you can show via checkbox in menĂ¼ view.
AGK (Steam) V2.0.22 : Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit : AMD (16.12.1) Radeon R7 265 : Mac mini OS Sierra (10.12)
MikeHart
AGK Bronze Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
GarBenjamin wrote: "Oddly that only appears over the top of my game project windows when I run them"

So while you running the game? I am not surprised as the game window has the focus then and not the IDE.
Running Windows 7 Home, 64 bit, 8 GB ram, Athlon II X2 255, ATI Radeon HD 4200. Using AGK2 Tier 1.
GarBenjamin
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Dec 2016 18:01 Edited at: 30th Dec 2016 18:02
I am on Windows 8.1 and it is a normal Logitech wireless mouse. The mouse works fine in every other application. I only get this behavior in the AppGameKit Editor. This morning I even tried some other code editors including older ones such as Blitz3D and GLBasic and everything works fine in those too. This problem seems to be exclusively in the AppGameKit Editor.

Not just mouse scrolling but also the GUI in general doesn't work other than the Menu options. I can build with the menu option. I can save with the menu options. Clicking on the buttons though does not work. They don't "click". They function as basically just images that cannot be interacted with.

I did find a workaround for the scrolling. What actually happens is that when I first load a project the mousewheel works to scroll the code. But as soon as I click on a line in the code the mousewheel no longer works.

However, if I then click outside AppGameKit Editor like say on the Windows taskbar at the bottom of the screen and then click on the Title bar at the top of the AppGameKit Editor mousewheel works to scroll the code. As soon as I click into the code window the scrolling no longer works.

So it is a couple clicks needed but I can work like this. Just need to get into habit of click taskbar, click AppGameKit Editor Title bar then scroll with mousewheel. Now I need to focus on my new project. I am ready to start the programming.
Ortu
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Dec 2016 20:08
sounds like the text area isn't releasing the focus then. I don't have an 8.1 system readily available to test on sorry, but it sounding more like an IDE bug than a hardware/driver issue.

Markus
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Dec 2016 22:04
did you had set any compatible settings for the ide exe?
(the ide editor was based on Geany.)
else paul will know the reason.
AGK (Steam) V2.0.22 : Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit : AMD (16.12.1) Radeon R7 265 : Mac mini OS Sierra (10.12)
GarBenjamin
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2016 17:10
I did nothing and today it is actually working fine "out of the blue". I don't get it but I am happy.

I had tried the compatibility options and none of those made any difference with the behavior either. I actually tested every option.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-29 21:17:08
Your offset time is: 2024-09-29 21:17:08