Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / TTF minimise BUG

Author
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Dec 2016 20:26
There's this bug where if you minimise your app, and then go back to it, all the TTF fonts are messed up. A dirty workaround is to check getresumed and reload and rebuild all your fonts and texts, however if you're using the default font, you don't have the option of reloading it as it's not in a separate file!

So:

1) Can we get it fixed as soon as possible (please don't leave this major bug for 3 months until the next release. It would make me sad )

and

2) Does anyone have a copy of the default TTF so that we can reload it for the dirty workaround?

Thanks!
V2 T1 (Mostly)
Phone Tap!
Uzmadesign
Scary Little Rabbit
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Dec 2016 08:41
can't reproduce it on Ubuntu.

CJB wrote: "please don't leave this major bug for 3 months until the next release."

that's most hateful thing of AppGameKit development for me.
error #1:
'too many stars, too many stares. disembody.'
Lone Star Dive: NOVGO!
pinete
Years of Service
User Offline
I agree 100% with CJB. I really wish all the bugs can be solved soon, specially that one.
anwserman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Dec 2016 21:31
Quote: "
that's most hateful thing of AppGameKit development for me.
"

For me, it's more of the "let's abandon and neglect our existing products so our customers are forced to turn elsewhere".

I want to port my existing AppGameKit products to new platforms like tvOS - and create new ones! - but nah, TGC is more interested in My World... a Minecraft knockoff a few years too late.

So much for AppGameKit supporting many platforms.
Hi there. My name is Dug. I have just met you, and I love you.
CJB
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2016 00:55
There's always Tier 2 if you need TVOS. Gekko got it working a while back.

Now back on topic:

I was hoping someone would be able to post a copy of the new default TTF font so we can workaround the TTF bug when using defaults. It's no big deal - I can use my own font. As far as I know, Paul isn't involved in My World, so no stress about abandoning or neglecting AGK. He'll fix the TTF bugs in the new year. Let's not forget it IS the holiday season. Most normal folk are taking a break!

V2 T1 (Mostly)
Phone Tap!
Uzmadesign
pinete
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi,
CJB, you're right regarding tvOS, etc. But one of the key points that AppGameKit offer against other competitors is the learning curve (Tier 1) and the easy approach to the language (Basic, without classes, inheritance and such things that can turn complicated for many people) so from my point of view, If I'd go to Tier 2, in that case I'd leave AppGameKit for sure and start using other stuff like Unity. I think this is something obvious for a lot of users and not only me!

So I've to agree with Answerman... sounds crazy from the business perspective to start working on stuff like "My world", born from apettite, and have only one developer taking care on AppGameKit (as it seems).. offering updates with important bugs preventing users to work with the new features... It's been longer than two weeks if I'm not wrong, since TGC launched the 2.0.22 update and the more important feature, TTF fonts, still doesn't work.

This is not a kind of complain or reprimand, just an opinion about something wrong with the evolution of a fantastic language like AGK. It's a shame not to push it more than TGC is doing now.

CJB
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2016 10:12
stop hijacking my thread. useful replies would be along the lines of "here's a way to reload the default ttf without the file", or "Here is the Ttf font used by AGK".

The addition of Ttf support is a fantastic plus, and very usable even in its current form. You just need to code around the niggles. What is it they say about workmen and their tools?
V2 T1 (Mostly)
Phone Tap!
Uzmadesign
pinete
Years of Service
User Offline
I'm not sure about understanding well. I'm not hijacking anything, don't sure if you say that with an annoying connotation as english is not my mother tonge. Hope not, as my only wish is to help and learn.
However, If you read some posts above I only posted being agree with your post, in order to let Paul or TGC knows you're not the only one with that opinion. Just that.
Of course TTF support is a fantastic addition, obviously and your contributions to the forum are great as well. Don't understand why you say I'm hijacking something.. anyway, excuse me if I'm bothered you at some point.
Thanks.
Paul Johnston
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2017 14:37
Quote: "There's this bug where if you minimise your app, and then go back to it, all the TTF fonts are messed up."

I encountered this during development but I thought I had fixed it, it no longer occurs on my Android device. I assume this is on Android? Can you send me a screenshot of before and after minimising so I can see if it looks familiar? Can you also send me a bug report from the Developer Options in the device settings?

Quote: "Does anyone have a copy of the default TTF so that we can reload it for the dirty workaround?"

I've attached the font file used for the default font, it is licensed under the OFL which is also attached.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
CJB
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2017 16:17
Boom! Thanks Paul. I'll get some screenshots over to you this evening.
V2 T1 (Mostly)
Phone Tap!
Uzmadesign
CJB
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2017 19:21
Not the best examples, but attached is a before and after of a Merry Christmas message, and the AppGameKit Player after it has been minimised. Sometimes the text turns into just a mess, or a bunch of vertical lines too.
V2 T1 (Mostly)
Phone Tap!
Uzmadesign

Attachments

Paul Johnston
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2017 21:43
Unfortunately the screenshots don't help, I'll need to see a bug report from the device shortly after the problem occurs to track down what happened
CJB
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2017 23:52 Edited at: 3rd Jan 2017 23:53
The app doesn't crash so I'm not sure a bug report will help, but the problem is easily replicated. Try the following on any Android device using 2.0.22 (apk or broadcast):

To replicate the problem, run the app, then send it to the background via home key, or task manager, then bring it back to the foreground.

This even happens with the AppGameKit Player on its own. Just start AppGameKit player, minimise it, then restore it to see all the text scrambled or missing.

edit: (and to be honest, I've never taken a bug report before, so have no idea how! ).
V2 T1 (Mostly)
Phone Tap!
Uzmadesign

Attachments

Paul Johnston
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2017 00:53
That example works on my device after minimising, as does the AppGameKit Player. The bug report contains the system log (which AppGameKit outputs debug information to) so it is useful even if the app doesn't crash. To make one you just have to go into the Developer Options section of the device settings and the first option should say "Take Bug Report", you may have to turn on development mode to activate it. It might take a while to create but once done it will ask you where to send it, if you can email it to me that would be great. The report may contain personal information depending on what other apps output in their debug information, so you may not want to post the report to the forum.
xCept
Years of Service
User Offline
@Paul the same thing occurs on my Kindle Fire. Minimizing and restoring corrupts all of the fonts even with AGK's own player. I'm not entirely sure how to take bug report via Kindle, however. I have other Androids but none charged right now to test.
CJB
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2017 07:38
I can't get a bug report out of Xperia. I enabled dev mode and have tried clicking "Take Bug Report" in the menu. It says it will take time and to be patient etc... left it all night and still no report.
V2 T1 (Mostly)
Phone Tap!
Uzmadesign
Paul Johnston
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2017 16:38 Edited at: 4th Jan 2017 16:39
Quote: "the same thing occurs on my Kindle Fire"

I can replicate it on the Kindle, strange that I didn't notice that before. The Kindle uses an SGX 540 GPU which has become the bane of my existence lately! If the Xperia is also using an SGX GPU then that could explain the problems. I've uploaded a new version of the Android player here that has a workaround for font images on SGX 5xx GPUs, let me know if it fixes the problem.
Abiz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2017 17:19
I have the same problem on my Motorola Droid Turbo (Android).
Could it have anything to do with the fact that you have to move the TTF to the WRITE directory, because it cannot read it from the MEDIA (READ) directory?

I received a work around for ANDROID that works to move it to the WRITE folder and then load the TTF font.
Especially since it never used to happen with bitmap fonts.

Just a suggestion
CJB
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2017 17:19
Looks like my Xperia has an "Adreno 320" GPU. I'll give the updated player a whirl and let you know how I get on.
V2 T1 (Mostly)
Phone Tap!
Uzmadesign
CJB
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2017 19:04
That didn't fix it. AppGameKit Player on its own: Sent to background, then restored to foreground and all the text disappears.
V2 T1 (Mostly)
Phone Tap!
Uzmadesign
Stab in the Dark software
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Badges, I don't need no stinkin badges
Posted: 4th Jan 2017 19:31
It occurs on my Nextbook Ares 11, not sure what GPU it has.
I will try to get the debug info and email it.
The coffee is lovely dark and deep,and I have code to write before I sleep.
CJB
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2017 20:46 Edited at: 4th Jan 2017 20:52
Quote: "I received a work around for ANDROID that works to move it to the WRITE folder and then load the TTF font. "
No... That is a separate issue. My app DOES copy the TTF to the write folder before loading it (otherwise it wouldn't load the font AT ALL).

Quote: "It occurs on my Nextbook Ares 11, not sure what GPU it has."
Glad it's not just me then! At least we have a workaround (even though it's a bit clunky) by checking for getresumed and then deleting and reloading all text and ttf font. I'd be in bits without that right now! lol.

Another interesting observation: When you have brought your app back to the foreground, and the text all goes funny, by changing orientation, the text gets restored!... but ONLY for that other orientation - turn it back and the text goes funny again.
V2 T1 (Mostly)
Phone Tap!
Uzmadesign
Abiz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2017 20:47
Tested this on 3 Android devices, they all have the behavior.
iOS does NOT have the behavior. So it seems to be Android specific.

Paul Johnston
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2017 22:24
Ok, I've tried a different approach to restoring font images that doesn't rely on data from the GPU, so it should work on everything. Try this version and see what happens.
CJB
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2017 19:00
Thanks Paul! That works just fine. Any chance of a release with the fix? Thanks!
V2 T1 (Mostly)
Phone Tap!
Uzmadesign
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2017 22:20
I wonder if any of the people complaining at the top of this thread will see this quick turnaround and not complain so much?

...nah I don't
Using AppGameKit V2 Tier 1
xCept
Years of Service
User Offline
@Baxslash, in fairness, historically whenever major bugs have been discovered and fixed in AppGameKit we still typically had to wait 2-4 months for an update with the applied fixes from Paul. Hopefully it won't be that long in this case.
damothegreat
User Banned
Posted: 5th Jan 2017 23:08
In fairness - if its only @Paul doing all the AppGameKit development for us. Then woah. Its only fair that not to overwhelm just one man production

Keep up the good work @Paul

Damo
Using Tier 1 AppGameKit V2
Started coding with AMOS
Works with a Lenovo IdeaPad 700, 1TB SSD (Data), 128GB HD (System), 12GB Ram, GeForce Nvdia 950M, Windows 10, 2.3Ghz (Turbo to 3.2ghz when required)
xCept
Years of Service
User Offline
Oh I didn't mean to sound rude or condensing at all as I have mad respect for Paul and the improvements he's made to AGK. I was just pointing out from past observations it can still be quite a wait between when Paul fixes an issue (which is normally very fast once he is alerted to them) and when a full new build gets posted for us. I know the original intent, especially with moving to the Steam platform, was to be able to release much more rapid updates of AppGameKit than what we have seen.
damothegreat
User Banned
Posted: 5th Jan 2017 23:33 Edited at: 5th Jan 2017 23:47
I understand as I'm sure we all do.

@Paul may just have other things going on other than AppGameKit - I cannot speak for @Paul but do we know C++ and how cumbersomb and exceedingly difficult it is to
program in this language.

May take time, cause needs to get things right.

We all might make games / apps with this wonderful tool - but making a game that takes weeks and get it out to the public will be far different to making a game that takes
6 months to create and be a better job and quality

Look how long it took Rockstar to create GTA 5 -- more than 10 years.. Look how popular that is, anyway - best not get off the subject

I'm sure TTF and this request will be resolved soon

Damo
Using Tier 1 AppGameKit V2
Started coding with AMOS
Works with a Lenovo IdeaPad 700, 1TB SSD (Data), 128GB HD (System), 12GB Ram, GeForce Nvdia 950M, Windows 10, 2.3Ghz (Turbo to 3.2ghz when required)

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-29 21:30:27
Your offset time is: 2024-09-29 21:30:27