Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / Question: Blender good for creating complete 3d scenes?

Author
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jan 2017 18:14
Hi!

I want to use Blender to create a 3d scene (ground, trees, houses etc..) and import this scene as a single obj in AGK.

First thought I had is to use the AppGameKit command: LoadObjectWithChildren(). It does load the obj file/scene but as one object only... According to the AppGameKit help it is possible to have multiple separate objects" using LoadObjectWithChildren() from one file but it that case the file requires a "scene graph".

Is this the way to go in order to import a 3d scene from blender into AppGameKit, and if so how to use the "scene graph" functionality between Blender and AppGameKit?

thanks!
haliop_New
User Banned
Posted: 9th Jan 2017 21:09
well yes and no...
i use blender for all of my 3d stuff.
but and this is an extremely important but.

if you design your level out of one object you have very little play with it..
like trees for example.
each tree will cost you polys and memory but if you create several trees as seperated objects and then instance them around your map then you will save a lot of memory keeping in mind that if you gonna develop for mobile devices you have to think of all CPU/MEMORY/FPS etc mobile devices are much less powerful then PC and even if you build for PC you want your game to work good .

so first of instancing objects is the way to go with AppGameKit .
what i would do is maybe.

create one object as the main LandScape maybe more then one so AppGameKit can hide everything it dosent sees so you can play with SetObjectVisible set to 0 if you are not near that object so AppGameKit wont draw it.
A few or more objects for buildings (example) and instance them around the map where they belong
some trees and flowers etc...

now i sometimes use blender origin to place objects. so if
you can build a full map with blender , placing every object at its place then exporting your objects as induvidual objects they will save the point of origin or anchor so once loaded into agk everything will fit right in place you can export "Selected only" then load them as induvidual position everything on the same location , scale everything with the same scale , and rotate everything with the same rotation and walla you get exactly what you get in blender only in agk.

what kind of game are you planning maybe i can help you think it trough.

hope this helped.
haliop.
Markus
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jan 2017 21:50
Quote: "if you design your level out of one object you have very little play with it..
like trees for example."

3d editors also supporting instances but i don't know what happens at export.
but after loading it should also possible to replace objects with a instance because you have the 3d hierarchy.

some other cheap 3d tools are AC3D,shade 16 basic,carrara 8.5, cheetah3d (mac)

importing 3d files is still a drama at all targets. its because the import is not 100% developed have to much options (also at export) or did not fit the same version and its incompatible, or it reads 100% but using 50%. arrgggg
the generally best experience i had with open collada .dae and .fbx files and outdated formats .3ds and .x
AGK (Steam) V2017.01.09 : Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit : AMD (16.12.1) Radeon R7 265 : Mac mini OS Sierra (10.12)
spasski
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jan 2017 06:50 Edited at: 10th Jan 2017 07:08
Thanks haliop and Markus for sharing your thoughts!!

A combination of using original pivot points for single unique objects like a castle for example and instanceObject() for multiple objects like trees is probably the way to go for me. I found this little python script to export all objects from blender seperately in obj files, which is a big time saver

https://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?360034-Exporting-multiple-objects-to-multiple-OBJ-files

Markus
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jan 2017 11:56
export via python script is a good idea and solution
AGK (Steam) V2017.01.09 : Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit : AMD (16.12.1) Radeon R7 265 : Mac mini OS Sierra (10.12.2)

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 09:13:43
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 09:13:43