Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit/AppGameKit Studio Showcase / LCD - Liquid Crystal Destruction (working title)

Author
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jan 2017 13:27 Edited at: 11th Jan 2017 13:28
I have been working on this a few weeks now and I'm very happy so far with the way it's working out. It's a worms type game based on the old LCD handheld games.

At first, I tried to make the characters move like they did on those old games but it was a bit rubbish so now I'm using the old games as inspiration but not aiming for an accurate representation of gameplay!

Using AppGameKit V2 Tier 1

Attachments

Login to view attachments
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jan 2017 13:42
The audio alone puts be back in the eighties!
The little black character is spot on, I'm back with my £9.99 single handheld games.
I know you aren't going for the full retro feel but it would be fantastic for at least the death animations to look like LEDs lighting up in sequence rather than smooth moves. In fact, anything that flies through the air could do the same.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur
TutCity is being rebuilt
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jan 2017 15:09 Edited at: 11th Jan 2017 15:15
I did it that way and it's actually relatively easy to put it back that way because of how the animations work but it felt like I would get a lot of complaints from epileptics...

Maybe the death animations would be worth doing the old fashioned way... I'll have a look
SpecTre
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jan 2017 16:55
This is a great game baxslash, I love the retro feel.

You should look at releasing this on the Amazon TV store when done. The game Go Team Yeah by Wilf works really well on the Firestick using the little remote so this should work well. I would play this turn based game with my lad just passing the remote to each other between turns.

I am going to start looking more into releases this year for the firestick as there are hundreds of thousands in people's homes, especially now after Xmas. They are always sold out and your game would lend itself to the system nicely!

Very cool.
The Amiga and Amos were great!
My website LEAP - Download Paint Pot here!
DavidAGK
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
So impressed! I was thinking of doing a similar type game but had no idea how to go about landscape destruction. Great job!
Using Tier 1 AppGameKit V2
Started coding with AMOS (Thanks Francois Lionet)
Scraggle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jan 2017 18:19
Hey,
I've just commented on this on Facebook (kittens) . I see now what the LCD part of it is, so kittens wouldn't work. Not unless you changed the visuals completely but then it becomes just another Worms clone.
AGK V2 user - Tier 1 (mostly)
GarBenjamin
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jan 2017 20:08
Wow! Fantastic start. I like the combination of simple stylistic graphics and good amount of interaction & depth to the gameplay. Very nice work and looking forward to seeing the final game.
TI/994a (BASIC) -> C64 (BASIC/PASCAL/ASM/Others) -> Amiga (AMOS/BLITZ/ASM/C/Gamesmith) -> DOS (C/C++/Allegro) -> Windows (C++/C#/Monkey X/GL Basic/Unity/Others)
SpecTre
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jan 2017 01:46
Hey baxslash, just noticed this in Wilfs thread, so the remote looks easy to code for the controls:

Quote: "The Fire Remote maps directly to the keyboard. Directional controls map to the arrowkeys (keycodes 37-40), the big selection button maps to Return (keycode 13) and the back button maps to Escape (keycode 27). Home quits the app like any other android app and the Options button doesn't do anything."
The Amiga and Amos were great!
My website LEAP - Download Paint Pot here!
xCept
Years of Service
User Offline
It is great, the small details you put in are so worth it. I love the particle effects after destruction where some rest on top the surface and others fly away. Are you using Box2D to handle the collisions and physics? Seems that pixel-perfect collision can be challenging.

Many years ago I worked on destructible terrain with particles. I had a prototype working in HTML5, DBPro and Cocos2d but never got around to exploring the feasibility on mobile.

Ortu
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jan 2017 04:22
Very impressive xCept, I like the sand effect.

@Baxslash, looks like a good start, wouldn't mind seeing the grenade do a bit larger blast I think.
http://games.joshkirklin.com/sulium

A single player RPG featuring a branching, player driven storyline of meaningful choices and multiple endings alongside challenging active combat and intelligent AI.
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jan 2017 08:57
Thanks for all the comments guys, I agree the explosions need to be bigger. I started with much smaller maps where bigger explosions were not good but since I improved the physics it would be better to have them larger now.

xCept, I love the jetman game!
Scotty1973
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jan 2017 11:43
That looks great baxslash very retro feel to it. Good music as well. You gonna release this when its completed?

How are you doing the landscape destruction, is each land a single sprite?

Good luck with this it is really impressive.

Scotty
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jan 2017 14:29
Hi Scotty, thanks! I am aiming to release it yes. The landscape is one sprite but I'm adding individual sprites in for the physics. When I do an explosion I just delete any hit physics sprites, edit the relevant area of the memblock for the image and then create new physics sprites based on that portion of the memblock. There's a little more to it than that but it seems pretty quick that way. I could remove physics entirely if it doesn't run fast enough on mobile.
CJB
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jan 2017 20:07
Very impressive baxslash! This is going to do very well!
V2 T1 (Mostly)
Phone Tap!
Uzmadesign
Lucas Tiridath
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jan 2017 07:48
Hey baxslash, this looks like it's off to a great start! Looking forward to seeing where you take this .
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jan 2017 08:45
Thanks again guys!

Players can now fall off the bottom of the map (and die). I have also added punching and digging which are also main features in the circular options menu. The six full options are:
Weapons-
Punch
Rifle
Grenade
None combat-
Dig
Barricade - may change this from sandbags to bunker (concrete "chunks")
Special-(Shown as "?")
Different pickups such as "Air Support", "Teleport" etc.

I will start on pickups next as well as adding more levels as I go along (3 made so far).

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-28 20:16:41
Your offset time is: 2024-03-28 20:16:41