Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / [Discussion] Your opinion about considered features?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jan 2017 10:09
Hello

I would like to have a public discussion about the considered features in the survey. Just to have an idea about what others want.
The features considered in the survey are:

-Addons
-Linked Data Structures
-Classes
-Visual Editor
-Box2D improvements
-User Interface Commands
-3D Shadows
-Physically Based Rendering
-3D particles
-AI Path Finding algorithms
-LUA support
-Media Encryption
-Sound recording
-video recording
-XML support
-JSON support
-CSG support

What do you want? Or what do you think is a waste of time for Paul?
I go first:

The first thing to implement should be addons. And with addons I mean: The possibility to write code in C++, and extend the BASIC language with it. Simple and cross platform functionality (like XML, JSON, AI path finding, Media Encryption, LUA, ...) should all be implemented as addons, by Paul or the community.

Paul should focus on things that are 'deeper', more 'woven' in the language (I have no idea if that was a good English sentence): Shadows, classes, PBR and others.

User interface commands could be a real addition to AppGameKit, not only for games but also for general purpose apps.

Visual editor: I think a lot of people would like it, but I thinks it's a bad idea. AppGameKit will go in direct competition with Unity and others. And I think that war would be lost beforehand. I'm not against it because I don't need it, but more because it would be a tremedous amount of work to create a good Visual editor, inevitably slowing down other functionality. And I think the 'profit' for users in general would be lower with an editor that is likely to not meet the standard of competing products that have a visual editor for years, incomparison with other functions. Because the other functions could meet the functionality of competing products (Shadows for example, once it's implemented, it's there, like others have it, not better, not worse, the same)

Have another opinion about the future of AppGameKit? Please discuss, I am certain we are all grown-ups who can keep a discussion very civil!
CumQuaT
AGK Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jan 2017 10:16
I have to agree with you on the visual editor being a baaaaad idea. If they add it I hope they keep an option for a pure code environment.

UI controls would be great, though I've gotten a pretty good system down over the past couple of projects...

Personally I'd love bluetooth commands added in, so that we can tinker with hardware attachments... Unless of course they're already in there and I haven't noticed yet!
JohnnyMeek
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jan 2017 10:31
3rd party plugin support for Tier 1 is the obvious one. It will take some of the pressure of Paul and allow us to expand the functionality based on our own priorities.

BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jan 2017 10:41
3rd Party Plugins is number. I had every single one in DBPro.

Regarding a visual editor, I think it would make sense to have Game Guru integration. I know there are already a couple of third party options out there. Maybe TGC could support them in polishing their apps to perfection.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur
TutCity is being rebuilt
Markus
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jan 2017 10:49
-Classes ( maybe it offers better syntax instead of giving always the id variable name spr.Position(50,50).Size(10,10).Color(255,0,0) )
-LUA support (LUA is great)
-3D Shadows (must have for 3d)
-Visual Editor (gui designer?)
-User Interface Commands
-AI Path Finding algorithms (nice to have)
AGK (Steam) V2017.01.09 : Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit : AMD (16.12.1) Radeon R7 265 : Mac mini OS Sierra (10.12.2)
damothegreat
User Banned
Posted: 13th Jan 2017 10:55 Edited at: 19th Jan 2017 18:59
Using Tier 1 AppGameKit V2
Started coding with AMOS
Works with a Lenovo IdeaPad 700, 1TB SSD (Data), 128GB HD (System), 12GB Ram, GeForce Nvdia 950M, Windows 10, 2.3Ghz (Turbo to 3.2ghz when required)
damothegreat
User Banned
Posted: 13th Jan 2017 10:59 Edited at: 19th Jan 2017 18:59
Started coding with AMOS
Works with a Lenovo IdeaPad 700, 1TB SSD (Data), 128GB HD (System), 12GB Ram, GeForce Nvdia 950M, Windows 10, 2.3Ghz (Turbo to 3.2ghz when required)
Mobiius
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jan 2017 11:55 Edited at: 13th Jan 2017 12:01
Quote: "-Addons"

I've requested this since the first month AppGameKit v1 was released.
Not even c++ modules, but a non-human readable form of tier 1 basic code, included with a #addon (or similar) command. It'll allow people to create tier 1 apps, then distribute them as addons. (For example, my UI subsystem.)

Quote: "-Linked Data Structures"

It'd be nice, and kind of ties into...

Quote: "-Classes"

I'd like this.

Quote: "-Visual Editor"

Nope. Not for me. AppGameKit is a programming language, not a game engine. If you want that, use Game Guru. (But I like the idea if coupling GG and AppGameKit at the engine level so you can load GG levels in a single command. Much like the GGLoader subsystem completed by another AppGameKit user who's name I can't remember.)

Quote: "-Box2D improvements"

I don't do 2D, so I don't need this.

Quote: "-User Interface Commands"

I wrote my own, I don't need these.

Quote: "-3D Shadows"

I'd like this, even though it's user creatable. But the core language is too poor to support this enough. (Matrix commands needed.)

Quote: "-Physically Based Rendering"

It'd be nice. But again could be user created.

Quote: "-3D particles"

Again, It'd be nice. But again could be user created.

Quote: "-AI Path Finding algorithms"

Should be user created.

Quote: "-LUA support"

Would be nice.

Quote: "-Media Encryption"

Would be nice, but not high on my personal list.

Quote: "-Sound recording"

Not high on my personal list.

Quote: "-video recording"

Not high on my personal list.

Quote: "-XML support"

Would be nice, but people have already released XML readers/writers. Focus should be on areas NOT patched by the communituy.

Quote: "-JSON support"

Would be nice, but people have already released XML readers/writers. Focus should be on areas NOT patched by the communituy.

Quote: "-CSG support"

High on my list. I'd love a version of this that was batter than DBPros interpretation.

And one thing that Carharttguy forgot to list..

Quote: "Vehicle physics."

The code already exists for this, just pay the guy and integrate it!
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jan 2017 14:04
Quote: "Not even c++ modules, but a non-human readable form of tier 1 basic code, included with a #addon (or similar) command."

+1
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
TutCity is being rebuilt
Carharttguy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jan 2017 14:18
Quote: "Not even c++ modules, but a non-human readable form of tier 1 basic code, included with a #addon (or similar) command. It'll allow people to create tier 1 apps, then distribute them as addons. (For example, my UI subsystem.)"

Indeed, also a very good idea. So both C++ and BASIC addons!
Mobiius
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jan 2017 14:41
c++ wouldn't work very well with AGK's cross platform nature as the c++ code could contain literally any API available. But tier 1 code will.
Ortu
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jan 2017 17:15 Edited at: 13th Jan 2017 17:16
Addons written in tier 1 basic don't really extend the language though, they just make it easier to distribute reusable bits of existing tier 1 functionality, its not really much different than what you can already do with includes.

This is great, but falls short of the ability to actually extend the capabilities of the language.

Plugins do create complications for cross platform, in some cases, the inclusion of a given plugin may need to limit the platforms that a project using it can build against. But I think supporting these anyway would be a big step forward for agk.

Dbpro showed how powerful plugins could be, but also suffered from a period where it seemed like everyone was making tools, but no one was making games.

Lua or other scripting support would be great.

Database support likewise. (Mongodb, Sqlite, Mysql are all popular and could benefit the language)

I put visual editor as very low priority, though I agree that integrating with game guru (as an option) makes a lot of sense towards this.

Shadows and other visual/shader effects can certainly be done by users, they just need to be given the necessarily math command sets.

Ultimately I agree that TGC focus should be on the underlying things that cannot be done by users. Give users the tools needed to do more themselves.
http://games.joshkirklin.com/sulium

A single player RPG featuring a branching, player driven storyline of meaningful choices and multiple endings alongside challenging active combat and intelligent AI.
pjsmith67
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jan 2017 19:34
I vote for add-ons, linked lists and pointers. I would like a linker system when we could just compile all the files in our projects without using #include and the ability to designate functions and variables in the files as static... i.e. cannot be referenced by any other code except in that file. Would make it easier to distribute code.

I don't need/want a visual editor. For me, they get in the way. Would much rather just code. Certain tools like level editors are helpful, but not a full blown visual editor. It just doesn't fit with AppGameKit in my opinion.

Phil
pjsmith67
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jan 2017 19:35
I also vote for SQLite support!

Phil
Carharttguy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jan 2017 20:53
ortu wrote: "Addons written in tier 1 basic don't really extend the language though, they just make it easier to distribute reusable bits of existing tier 1 functionality, its not really much different than what you can already do with includes.
This is great, but falls short of the ability to actually extend the capabilities of the language."

It wouldn't extend the language as such indeed, but would make it easier for developer to distribute code without the source or even sell those addons. Like a complete GUI system, that is way to valuable to give away, but there is no way of sharing/selling it. And economics stimulate.
Ortu
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jan 2017 22:11
Yes, I understand. I am simply saying that while nice, that isn't really what I'd be interested to see in terms of plugin support.

It's not to say that there shouldn't be both extention type plugins and licensed module type plugins, but that I would prefer they focus on the extention type first as I feel it will have a greater positive impact on the language as a whole.

A single player RPG featuring a branching, player driven storyline of meaningful choices and multiple endings alongside challenging active combat and intelligent AI.
Lucas Tiridath
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jan 2017 08:23
I definitely agree with the general sentiment here that the priority should be on features that empower the community and make new things possible, rather than on merely simplifying things that are already possible. As such, I'd definitely put addons as a top priority.

When it comes to classes, I personally would much rather see function pointers/first class functions added to the language. Classes have their place, but the most interesting things you can do with them are through dynamic dispatch with virtual functions. If we had function pointers in the language, it would enable not only OOP, but also writing higher order functions and lots of other paradigms as well. Similarly with the rendering suggestions like PBR, I would much rather see the general rendering feature set extended with features such as multiple render targets, as again, this would make a greater range of things possible, rather than narrowly adding one extra feature.

I too don't see much sense in a visual editor, and if something along those lines is added, I'm keen that it should not undermine or get in the way of a code-only approach.

As for the other things, I would again simply prioritise by adding the things that are not currently possible in Tier 1 first (such as Lua support, extended Box2D commands etc.), and only address things which can be done already but perhaps not easily (such as UI commands etc.) later.
haliop_New
User Banned
Posted: 15th Jan 2017 10:21
3d shadows is a must
Addons a must

And let me tell u something im thinking...
If agk got to be easier to handle
In such way that more new users will come such as the gui editor or any ui improvments im all for it
It dosent mean we coders will suffer tgc could make it so that its optional if they do this more new users will come more money more feedback on forums more updates its a safe way to go.

About "users can code themselves " inatead of tgc update i disagree
I would love to have 3d shadows without the need to code it im not a math guy this will be a struggle for me and will makw my app release dates much longer if it was prebuilt we all gain from it ao with a simple
Setobjectcastshadow(id,num)
Man this will be superb.

Also about shaders the same thing i just dont get how they work but if we had prebuilt shaders on normal objecta rather then as a fullscreenahader like they have in unity or unreal that will also pump my excitment to work onnew stuff for new users it will be superb.
I would really like to see
Simple shaders without the need to xode them since i dont get it .

Overall
Making agk easier will just bring more and more users theres a thread on the forum from a user who strictly say "our development team moved from unity to agk" this is a huge suprize and it means agk is mature enough to handle diffrent kind of projects and to compete with othet tools so all that is left now is to make it easier so rapid development will be easier more userfriendly and much faster.
Rickyes
Years of Service
User Offline
Hello everyone !!!
I personally believe that AppGameKit is aimed especially for Smartphone applications.
So, in my opinion all the improvements should be directed towards these devices.
I have bought AppGameKit for simplicity 'of language, (if I had to start writing code in C ++, Lua, or believe that it is natural to consider also other products to develop games).
I prefer the simplicity 'at the expense of programming a reasonable loss, in terms of speed'.

I would like to see added controls for real-time shadows.
Having a simple command to have a texture.
Having commands for multiplayer games in real time. with relevant examples and tutorials. (NO LOCAL MULTIPLAYER)
Having collision controls more 'simple 3d (type: obj3d against obj3d)
Then all the other improvements clearly are welcome.
It may be nice to have an encoder natively barcode as already happens for reading Qcode.
This would open Agk towards new possibilities of applications.
These are the priorities' for me to have a better product, and even easier to manage, because the true strength of AppGameKit is simplicity.
PS: sorry for my bad English.

Salve a tutti !!!
Personalmente credo che AppGameKit è rivolto soprattutto per applicazioni Smartphone.
Quindi , secondo il mio parere tutte le migliorie devono essere rivolte verso questi dispositivi.
Io ho acquistato AppGameKit per la semplicita' di linguaggio,( se dovessi incominciare a scrivere codice in C++ ,o Lua credo che è naturale prendere in considerazione anche altri prodotti per sviluppare giochi).
Io preferisco la semplicita' di programmazione a scapito di una ragionevole perdita, in termini di velocita'.

Vorrei vedere aggiunti comandi per le ombre in tempo reale.
Avere un semplice comando per avere una texture in rilievo.
Avere comandi per giochi multiplayer in realtime. con relativi esempi e tutorial. ( NO MULTIPLAYER LOCALE )
Avere dei controlli di collisione 3d piu' semplici ( tipo : obj3d contro obj3d )
Poi tutte le altre migliorie chiaramente sono ben accette.
Può essere bello avere anche un codificatore di codice a barre nativo come accade già per la lettura dei QCode.
Questo aprirebbe Agk verso nuove possibilità di Applicazioni.
Queste sono le priorita' secondo me per avere un prodotto migliore ed ancora più semplice da gestire,perchè la vera forza di AppGameKit è la semplicità.
PS:scusate il mio pessimo inglese.

Ortu
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jan 2017 23:12
Quote: "About "users can code themselves " inatead of tgc update i disagree
I would love to have 3d shadows without the need to code it im not a math guy this will be a struggle for me and will makw my app release dates much longer if it was prebuilt we all gain from it ao with a simple
Setobjectcastshadow(id,num)
Man this will be superb.

Also about shaders the same thing i just dont get how they work but if we had prebuilt shaders on normal objecta rather then as a fullscreenahader like they have in unity or unreal that will also pump my excitment to work onnew stuff for new users it will be superb.
I would really like to see
Simple shaders without the need to xode them since i dont get it ."

TGC spent a good deal of time and effort implenting these sorts of built in systems in dbpro (networking, Collison, shader/lighting effects, terrain etc), but they were used by almost no one aside from absolute beginners, and almost always were quickly dropped in favor of better shaders and plugins provided by the community.

Just because something isn't built in, doesnt mean you will need to do it yourself, particularly with robust plugin support.

Was this time well spent? Did these built in systems have a significant impact on drawing (and retaining) users?

I'm inclined to believe that plugins and community provided shaders have had a much bigger impact on expanding the product and retaining users over the years.

To me, the attraction of dbpro and agk is in the simplicity to get set up and started, the way it adds an easy to understand and manage layer over the bare metal of directx, of cross platform support and compatibility concerns, of the nitty gritty of the import and management of media data, not that it can do everything you could possibly want it to do in a handful of do it for you commands.

These languages get you started quickly, but let you dig as deeply as you care to, and leave a good deal of room to learn.

This is what I think they should focus on, because other languages and engines tend to either try to do everything for you, or leave you to master all the boilerplate before you can even get something on screen.

MikeHart
AGK Bronze Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
My two cents on the User can code it themself debate. Crucial things like json and xml and time consuming things should be build in. First because it will be supported then. Plenty of times i have seen 3rd party solutions that were dropped for various reasons. Second, AppGameKit is interpreted in Tier 1. For an example path finding would be much faster as a build in solution.
Running Windows 7 Home, 64 bit, 8 GB ram, Athlon II X2 255, ATI Radeon HD 4200. Using AGK2 Tier 1.
hakimfullmetal
Years of Service
User Offline
Plugin system for Tier 1. Like DBPro.
Most people like me came to DBPro and AppGameKit because the easy BASIC.
But currently using Tier 1 means getting stuck if we want to have more, even basic things like 3D shadows.
If I have to learn C++ to have those features, people might as well move to Unity or something.
If we have Plugin system for Tier 1, not only it opens up possibilities for a lot of users, but plugin-makers also can make money, which will keep the traffic alive.
haliop_New
User Banned
Posted: 16th Jan 2017 14:18
all I'm ssaying is
unity and unreal already have a full feature set
shaders
shadows
addons
etc...
if TGC will choose eventually to go for a full set agk version it might as well be right now...meaning starting to think at it this way now rather then later.
Mobiius
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jan 2017 14:22
Stop comparing unity and unreal to AGK.

AGK is a programming language like C++, or JAVA, or BBC Basic.
Unity and Unreal are Game Engines! Not the same thing!
Sph!nx
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jan 2017 15:10
I just hope AppGameKit will remain a code language and not another "modding" engine. There are so many of them. Besides, isn't that what GameGuru is?
Regards Sph!nx
Ortu
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jan 2017 15:56 Edited at: 16th Jan 2017 15:57
One thing to keep in mind though with plugins, if added, I'm not sure that TGC should jump in to selling any as officially licensed.

It seemed like updates and advancements to dbpro slowed and suffered due to ever increasing concerns and complaints over breaking compatibility with plugins.

Any plugin that TGC does take on as official needs to be something that they have the will and ability to maintain, otherwise you begin restrict the language and prevent it from growing due to these dependencies.

They should likewise not be afraid to break compatibility with unofficial plugins if necessary when continuing to advance the underlying language.

janbo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jan 2017 20:44 Edited at: 16th Jan 2017 23:56
Ah ... I hope earnestly that Paul implements a full set of matrix and vector commands preferring them as Datatypes before/while he spends any time in 3D shadows
as they will not fit for every application.
There are build in 3D lights but hell... I used them only once before I wrote my own lighting/normalmapping/specular shader.

Personally I have more trouble making a bug free Maths library than making the 3D shadow API part, that might be me and maybe other can pull them out quick, but then please start at the root.
That applies to pointer,plugins and all the other stuff
You don't start with CreateGame("GameName")

And luckily that interpreter thing regarding the speed doesn't apply for shaders
As Smart phones get stronger and stronger and AGKs 3D commands get more and better I will definitely finish some of my dozen 3D Games and publish them

That's my 2 cent

Using AGKv2 Tier1
Alex_Peres
AGK Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jan 2017 23:11 Edited at: 17th Jan 2017 01:00
Quote: "Stop comparing unity and unreal to AGK.
AGK is a programming language like C++, or JAVA, or BBC Basic.
Unity and Unreal are Game Engines! Not the same thing!"

Actually, AppGameKit is a Game Engine! AGK-Basic(in tier 1) is a very simplifying kind of programming language, but not AppGameKit on the whole.
AGK lacks many and many professional stuff which are in other engines, actually AppGameKit is a only a simplified gasket between OpenGL and us like it was in engines of 90's. But no matter how funny it is, we still can compare it to other (big) game engines.
In my opinion if somebody wants to make kind of 3d game he should choose Unity or Unreal for cool looking graphics and for fast developement, AppGameKit lacks too many issues to make a modern looking game, even for mobile.
But for 2d games, AppGameKit is good and easy enough(not so good as Unity, but still good) for simple 2d games and even in 2d it lacks many important things. Even if we do not take into account the fact that AppGameKit is not very good conceptually (to compare with Unity for example).

I vote for User Interface commands, media encryption, enchanted 2d skeleton commands(such a cloning) and XML - support.
Sph!nx
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jan 2017 00:15 Edited at: 17th Jan 2017 00:17
@ Alex_Peres
We know that technically it is an engine, in fact, most "engines" run on several engines themselves for physics, audio, etc. Difference is that, with compared to most "full engines" is that those are created with easy to implement, full working features. A "code engine" focusses on broader commands, more easy to use to create your own syntax, functions, etc. and not be limited to those prebuild features.

Just my thoughts on the matter though.
Regards Sph!nx
Alex_Peres
AGK Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jan 2017 00:48
@Sph!nx
I use TIER2, so it is not very easy to implement etc... For example, I've spent almost 3 weeks to make my game running on android... And 2 more weeks to fix bugs which not apear on Windows... It's not AGK's fault but...
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jan 2017 07:28
Quote: "They should likewise not be afraid to break compatibility with unofficial plugins"

The solution to this problem is for plugin developers to use the APIs only when integrating plugins. This is how it is done with all integrations (like writing a Windows app )
If the plugin developer moves a sprite with the relevant AppGameKit commands, then it won't break.
If they decide they have a better way to do it by circumnavigating the API commands, then they risk it being broken on every update.
TutCity is being rebuilt
haliop_New
User Banned
Posted: 17th Jan 2017 09:53
I stand my ground
Shaders shouls be simple and should be pre built atleast the common ones such as bloom toon normal specular etc its a must for 3ď development
Mobiius
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jan 2017 10:01
Quote: "shaders shouls be simple and should be pre built"

Now that I whole heartedly disagree with.
I'd rather they spend time to develop fixes and new core language functionality than waste time on something every AppGameKit user could do themselves. To think that AppGameKit should do everything for you is just lazy, if this is what you want, move to game guru.

You wouldn't ask a car manufacturer to give all cars flame stickers when the engines keep breaking would you.
You wouldn't ask Samsung to make all phones able to cook your dinner for you when their batteries keep exploding.

Lets have the AppGameKit developers fix the core language to a point where everyone's happy, THEN perhaps they could look at finishing our projects for us because we can't be bothered to do our own programming and demand that the programming language do it all for us.
MadBit
VIP Member
Gold Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jan 2017 10:49
I think like Mobiius. If we have a good plugin system, the comunity itself can write many plugins. This would somewhat relieves Paul. Things like integration of JSON support, XML support, LUA support Path finding support, ect. This could be done with plugins.
Such as linked data structures, class support, and perhaps geometry and tesselation shader support, and MRT (Multiple Render Targets) support. This all that no plugin system can integrate. Paul should focus on that and bug fixes. The rest we could do (the community). Just like with the game templates.

My opinion

Share your knowledge. It\'s a way to achieve immortality. (Tenzin Gyatso)
Pixie-Particle-Engine
Mobiius
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jan 2017 12:48
What he said /\
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jan 2017 13:31
Quote: "Would be nice, but people have already released XML readers/writers. Focus should be on areas NOT patched by the communituy."

I would vote for XML support still because the ones that have been written (including mine) are not very fast. Native support would make it much more usable. JSON I have no opinion about really because the format is simply enough I think it can be parsed in AppGameKit relatively easily.

AI Pathfinding would be a nice bonus, afterall this is a "game" kit.

Media encryption is also a good idea, but I believe there is a community solution for this, or at least one that's been described.

What I would like to see is some basic GUI functions. I get AppGameKit isn't intended to write applications, but it'd help out with tool design apps. (like making level editors and whatnot)

"I like offending people, because I think people who get offended should be offended." - Linus Torvalds
Mobiius
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jan 2017 13:57
Quote: "What I would like to see is some basic GUI functions."

I have quite a nice set of GUI and scripting routines. Plugins would allow me to sell it.
MikeHart
AGK Bronze Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Mobiius wrote: "Lets have the AppGameKit developers fix the core language"

Where is the core language broken? Or did you mean some API commands? Or did you actually ment extending the core BASIC language?
Running Windows 7 Home, 64 bit, 8 GB ram, Athlon II X2 255, ATI Radeon HD 4200. Using AGK2 Tier 1.
Mobiius
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jan 2017 15:01
I meant any bug fixes, and extending the core language. Anything that cannot be created by the like of you and me.

For example, anyone can write an xml or json or media encryption routine, but adding exposing the built in vector maths commands we can't add.
Ortu
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jan 2017 15:15 Edited at: 17th Jan 2017 15:17
Quote: "I have quite a nice set of GUI and scripting routines. Plugins would allow me to sell it."

There is nothing stopping you from selling it now, there is even a store for this.

Your issue with this gui code seems to be more a concern of DRM than plugins, and that's a whole other discussion on top of simply adding the ability to load a dll or bytecode module.

I don't believe that the driving factor behind adding plugin support should be monetization. That's not to say that they can't be monetized, but there are very good reasons to add this regardless of any ability to directly sell plugins.

Stab in the Dark software
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Badges, I don't need no stinkin badges
Posted: 17th Jan 2017 15:37
I vote for plugin support as I already have a path finding plugin and advanced 3D physics plugin ready to go.
Unfortunately I think that it will not be feasible to have plugins because very few users will know how to make them
for AGK. There will be a learning curve as all plugins will be in C++ and most users do not want to use C++.
The coffee is lovely dark and deep,and I have code to write before I sleep.
Mobiius
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jan 2017 16:36
Quote: "There will be a learning curve as all plugins will be in C++ and most users do not want to use C++."

This. I feel that plugins should be tier 1 to ensure maximum compatibility. Tier 2 plugins should be possible anyway.? (I don't know, I don't use C++)
SpecTre
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jan 2017 16:45
It's interesting to see not many are pro for a visual editor.

I think this would be good personally but with an option to go pure code as is if you want to.
The visual editor I imagine is with tools built in for GUI, AI pathfinding, drawing sprites, bone editor, map level editors etc all built into the IDE and then use them or not but I think this will bring a lot more to AppGameKit and also make it a more professional product.
I don't mean however like Unity with all the buttons and boxes, tick options and all that kind of stuff.

A bit like Game Maker 2 I guess but without the drag and drop and more code orientated as it is now if this makes sense.
The Amiga and Amos were great!
My website LEAP - Download Paint Pot here!
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jan 2017 18:13
Quote: "This. I feel that plugins should be tier 1 to ensure maximum compatibility. "

It would be pointless for the plugins to be tier1 as you would be extremely limited as what you could do.
In tier1 you do not have the access you would need. For instance If I were to add a new physics feature
I would need C++ access to the core of Bullet and AGK.
Cor
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jan 2017 21:30
i wish agk would have ai.... if stab already has the plugins ready to go they should be purchased and added...
damothegreat
User Banned
Posted: 17th Jan 2017 21:36 Edited at: 19th Jan 2017 19:00
Started coding with AMOS
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jan 2017 04:38
Quote: "Tier 1 - very basic programmer that my grand dad could do - he still waves his mouse around in the air and saying why isn't it working.

Tier 2 - For the very hard core programmers"

Correction

Tier1 For grandchildren.
Tier2 For Granddads who were writing code before the kids were born.
SpecTre
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jan 2017 11:49
Quote: "Tier1 For grandchildren.
Tier2 For Granddads who were writing code before the kids were born."

Haha really like that quote
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jan 2017 12:34
Who you calling a grandchild!? And despite the gray hair I'm not granddad either, I'm an inbetweeny!

Quote: "the built in vector maths commands we can't add."

I wrote an entire vector library for/in agk. I'm not entirely sure what you mean.

"I like offending people, because I think people who get offended should be offended." - Linus Torvalds
IBOL
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jan 2017 14:04
i use AppGameKit because it is a PURE CODE ENVIRONMENT. *please* FTLOG, don't change that!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-24 06:21:46
Your offset time is: 2024-04-24 06:21:46