Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DarkBASIC Professional Discussion / New coder need some help

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I am creating a 3D game and we need to make a man, we have found how to make a rectangle, but are having trouble trying to add limbs to him. The dimensions are 30, 5, and 10. Can anybody help me?
WickedX
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2017 17:15
I wrote this code when I was trying to figure out how to work with limbs. If you have any questions about this code, just ask.

Derek Darkly
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2017 23:46

As per Wicked's code... ADD LIMB is very useful when trying to add limbs to an object.
BTW, It's easier to provide help when your sample code or screenshots are included, or at least a detailed description of what you have tried so far.

Good luck, and keep asking questions... if you stick around, you will learn amazing things here!!
Send your parents to noisy sprite demo hell... enter the D-Zone
LBFN
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2017 02:11
issacoder,

If you want, I could make a 3D stick man made out of boxes and I can add limbs to it so you could load it in your game. If you know what animations you want to have, I can even do them too. You could manually manipulate the limbs, but that would be a serious hassle as far as creating a smooth animation goes (though it can be done). It is much easier to animate in a 3D drawing program and then play the animations in-game. Let me know if you are interested and I could probably have something together in a few days.

So many games to code.....so little time.
Scorpyo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2017 08:15
I suggest you to purchase a cheap but good modeler/animation software like Milkshape3D and use royalty free characters downloaded from the net , (there are plenty , even untextured that you can texture and modify yourselt ) ; rig them in your modeler (putting bones) and animate at will for usage in DBP.
You can also find freeware ones, but i never used them for model rigging.
It's 10 times faster and much better looking.
here is an example ( get the second .zip in the thread)
Cheers
Scorpyo
link:
https://forum.thegamecreators.com/thread/217644
Derek Darkly
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2017 15:13

Also, if interested, DBPro comes with 2 models "Miko" and "Colonel Z"... check your examples folders.
They aren't great models but they have all the basic animations ready to go!
LBFN
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jan 2017 02:21 Edited at: 30th Jan 2017 21:51
Ah, Miko! I loved that model.

I have MilkShape 3D myself and can heartily recommend it. http://www.milkshape3d.com/ You can make 3D models and assign groups within it that you can add bones (joints) to. It is well worth learning how to use it and it is very inexpensive.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
LBFN
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jan 2017 15:27 Edited at: 31st Jan 2017 16:14
issacoder:

I just saw where you had PM'd me the other day about making a Stickman model with bones/joints. I will do that and post it here.

LB

EDIT: I remembered that I made a stickman for a fighting game I made years ago. It has 660 frames of animation. It does have an AK-47 attached to his right 'hand'. I wanted to do silly things with this model, so in addition to the many fighting moves, it will take his leg and hit an enemy over the head with it, will take the AK-47 and hit with it, will dribble and shoot his head, will throw his head like a frisbee and will roll up in a ball to attack. This might be a little over-the-top for you, but I already had it, so I thought I would put it on here. If you just want the stickman without the gun and basic anims, I can redo it.

I wrote a short program to show the anim frames of the model. It plays at a slow speed so you can see them. Press the return key to stop animating and the control key to start again.

If you want to shoot bullets from the gun, the anims are in there. I put the limbs in place so you can position the bullet at the butt end of the gun and point it at a limb at the tip of the barrel. I don't know off the top of my head which two limbs they are, but I can get it if you want, just let me know.

I hope this is helpful.

LB

Attachments

Derek Darkly
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Feb 2017 00:34 Edited at: 1st Feb 2017 00:44
These kids usually never show their faces again... and we post all this stuff....LOLOLOL
It's like a running joke around here... and usually it's the noobs who are doing the running.

LoL.. all of these posts in response to 3 sentences. LOL!
Meanwhile, things are popping over at the AppGameKit forums.. LOLOLOL
And Syd Barrett is still dead, bcz we're the fishes, and the "move about" is all we do.

Am I wrong to find this hilariously bittersweet with just a touch of madness?
Ah well, I'm just here for the emojis anyway...

Scorpyo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Feb 2017 11:03
Yeah, and you'll never get to know if they will stick to DBP and coding for more than a few weeks .
issacoder
Years of Service
User Offline
wow im a noob
LBFN
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2017 11:43
issacoder
Derek makes a good point. Several of us fellow coders have tried many times to help people, only to have them go away with not so much as a reply. To see you still in the game (no pun intended) is good. I hope you will find DarkBasic as entertaining and fun as we have.

So, have you tried out my stickman model?

issacoder
Years of Service
User Offline
LBFN,
I have tried your stickman with the AK-47 and it won't allow me to open the file. Is it possible for you to make a code snippet of a stickman and post it?
Derek Darkly
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2017 23:40 Edited at: 2nd Feb 2017 23:42
LBFN, you've got it right!
ISSA... you should stick around here and learn form people like Libervuto, Green Gandalf, Chafari, WickedX, Phaelax, Chris Tate and several others who still remain... not to exclude anyone. These are a few of the people I admire for their courtesy as well as their talent.

I am teaching my own son DBPro and it's a lot of fun. I just taught him how to make Skyspheres from scratch and I think it's made an impression. With a a good sense of logic, plus a good story and/or gameplay idea, I think anyone can impress even some of the older coders.

Passing the torch is what DBPro is all about now!
Look up EVOCHRON.... I believe many of those were actually made with DarkBASIC Classic, at least the early ones.

Right now, I'm working on yet another cheap Minecraft clone engine for fun... if I can make it into a 20-Line code I will upload it soon. (Check out my other recent uploads in the 20-Line challenge.)

By the way, I told my son I would buy AppGameKit for him if he can do a few programs on his own in DBPro.
Is this good parenting, or what?! LoL
LBFN
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Feb 2017 03:32 Edited at: 4th Feb 2017 03:34
issacoder

I assume you mean the .rar file. You will need WinRar to unpack the file. http://www.rarlab.com/download.htm You can use the trial version. It is great for compressing files for download/upload.

Here is the code I wrote to display stickman:

Ortu
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Feb 2017 06:13
Or use 7zip which is free and full of awesome
http://games.joshkirklin.com/sulium

A single player RPG featuring a branching, player driven storyline of meaningful choices and multiple endings alongside challenging active combat and intelligent AI.
Hannibal
Years of Service
User Offline
Best help is ...choose something Lee Bamber wasn't involved in ...
LBFN
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Feb 2017 23:38 Edited at: 22nd Feb 2017 11:47
issacoder:

Attachments

issacoder
Years of Service
User Offline
Thank you so much for all of your help LBFN!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-16 10:18:57
Your offset time is: 2024-04-16 10:18:57