Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DarkBASIC Professional Discussion / Issue with DBPro, help required

Author
Years of Service
User Offline

My DBpro just stopped working after over 2 years...failed to 'load

I decided to try "upgrading" to 7.7, no luck

Tried to downgrade ( incidentally all the links are broken, if you can even find them ) , got about 1000 pop-up windows , all saying same crap....

Is this guy serious? !

Mage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Feb 2017 05:52
No need to blatantly insult Lee Bamber. He's a great guy.

Why not explain the problem?
You know they got a free version of DBPro available for download too.
Hannibal
Years of Service
User Offline
Sorry was at my wit's end. I have done loads of work and now can't load any of it !

I get the following pop-up...see attached

Some of the projects that come with dbpro work, after that pop-up, but nothing I have written :-(

Trying to install windows on another drive , hope that works...

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Ortu
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Feb 2017 00:03
I've encountered this, let me think a bit on what was causing it...

You are getting that on compile correct?

Any recent changes before this happened? Upgrade windows/pc ? Any change to UAC level or folder/user permissions? I assume you have tried a reboot?

Make sure you dont have a previous copy of the compiled exe still running, this can block new compiles of that project.

Compare your .dbpro project file against one of the working project fIles, errors or missing entries can cause this error

If you have played around with multiple compiler versions like vanilla, open source, 9ex, make sure the ide is pointing to the one you know used to work. I've seen .dbpro files that worked under u77 give this error compiled against 9ex and vice versa

If you are compiling from cmd line, make sure you dont have an ide open, this will also cause this
http://games.joshkirklin.com/sulium

A single player RPG featuring a branching, player driven storyline of meaningful choices and multiple endings alongside challenging active combat and intelligent AI.
Derek Darkly
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Feb 2017 02:26

Wow man. Not to preach after the expiration date, but...

Lee Bamber has obviously moved on to bigger and better projects than DBPro. And good for him.
He was kind enough to leave the DBP forum up and the source code online. The rest is up to to the community, not him.

I'm not a great programmer, but DarkBasic has given me hundreds of hours of fun and learning.
Please don't get our DBP forum canceled because you forgot to take your Flintstones vitamin one morning.

This is not an attack on you, so much as a counter-voice to the ugly headline now stuck on the forums.

~Peace
Send your parents to noisy sprite demo hell... enter the D-Zone
The Next
Web Engineer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Feb 2017 12:01 Edited at: 8th Feb 2017 12:04
Insulting TGC staff members or moderators will not be tolerated, if you have an issue work with the community to resolve it.

They are incredibly helpful and normally a fix to the issue will be found, if not then you can also contact customer support. Lee also responds to direct emails that politely ask for help, many know that he will go out his way to help.

I have issued a warning to your account next time will result in moderation action or a ban. I have also renamed the thread to something a bit nicer.
Windows 7 Pro, Intel i7 3.8 GHz, 16GB DDR3, NVIDIA GTX 780 4GB Superclocked
Hannibal
Years of Service
User Offline
Well, ty

Quote: "Lee Bamber has obviously moved on to bigger and better projects than DBPro. And good for him."

Or his latest bugfest?...who knows

I find it interesting that I am victimised, when it is me that is the victim....
zero32
Years of Service
User Offline
now that the headline has been changed, we can put that on the side and pretend it never happened.

did you try Ortus suggestions?

also there is a post in the newbie corner: https://forum.thegamecreators.com/thread/178614
it is 7 years old but there are some suggestions you could try.

i never got that error myself, so i can't help any further.
Hannibal
Years of Service
User Offline
No luck :-( Even tried reinstalling windows and then DBPro :-( Tried all suggestions and ideas.....

Will keep trying, situation has got worse now, rather than no compile at all, says prog crashed

Ortu
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Feb 2017 19:28 Edited at: 9th Feb 2017 19:32
If you reinstalled windows, then you are likely missing the required version of directx which will cause programs to crash or to simply not start at all.

I uploaded a copy of the necessary installer for this in another recent thread (regarding windows 10 i think) either here or in the dbpro newcomers board

Here it is https://forum.thegamecreators.com/thread/218577#msg2594478

A single player RPG featuring a branching, player driven storyline of meaningful choices and multiple endings alongside challenging active combat and intelligent AI.
Hannibal
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks, having reinstalled windows and dbpro, I am not sure the dbpro activator is still online, got error...possible firewall, even though I turned off windows firewall...

Will try dx, cheers
Ortu
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Feb 2017 14:42
Nope, activator is not online.

If you have a previously activated install available you can copy it over, otherwise you can get the activated open source version on git hub.

If you do go with the github version, it breaks compatibility with some plugins, you can install the 9ex version over this which will fix many of these.

Hannibal
Years of Service
User Offline
I still have original windows , and activated dbpro version installed, how to "copy it over" ?

The new windows I installed , DBPro seems to work, but can't activate...
Ortu
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Feb 2017 03:13
Just copy the folder, like you would to a flash drive

Hannibal
Years of Service
User Offline
Cheers will try that later. I got so desperate I downloaded Blitz3D lol

I still want to get the original copy of DBpro working as at present I would have to boot into the other copy of win7 to do any programming.

I also downloaded the github copy of DBPro but that has it's own issues :-(

Will keep trying thanks all

Derek Darkly
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Feb 2017 18:23 Edited at: 11th Feb 2017 18:25
Do you think it could be a certificates issue?
I am still using Windows XP, but I can share any files (libraries, certs, etc) you'd like.

I find this challenging and I think we'd all like to see you get DBP working again, except for Lee himself, maybe...

Send your parents to noisy sprite demo hell... enter the D-Zone
Hannibal
Years of Service
User Offline
Well, lol...Both copies are now working !

I copied across the whole directory to the new windows install, which solved the activation issue...

While on the original I downloaded old updates until at 7.4 it started to work

http://files.thegamecreators.com/darkbasicprofessional/upgrade/dbpro_upgrade_7_62.zip had to manually alter the _62, to find archived updates.

well, at least I can compile all my old sources And not resort to a new language (for now)

Many thanks to all who helped and sorry for my rant :-|

I still have no idea why later updates no longer work on the original windows, but think it must be due to some other program interfering in some way....

I uninstalled AVG anti-virus, but no luck there, in safe mode DBPro seemed to want to work, but complained about graphics modes

But, at least some progress has been made and things work to some degree....

Ortu
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Feb 2017 23:49
Glad to hear.

I would go ahead and just stick a copy on a flash drive, with the activator down, it's been a lifesaver for me to have a portable activated copy.

Hannibal
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks Ortu, great idea
Hannibal
Years of Service
User Offline
I don't think that works on a new computer tho....It's now asking for activation, and that activator is no longer online :-(
Bored of the Rings
User Banned
Posted: 13th Mar 2017 07:20 Edited at: 16th Mar 2017 08:28
Open source install is very simple. Download it from Github.
Install direct X 9.0c.
Make sure all certificates are copied into the compiler folder and any plugins are also copied to the compiler in their relevant folders
In the synergy editor ensure you reassign the compiler to point to the open source compiler.

You don't need to activate anything. Also recommend Rudolpho 9ex DBpro update, lots of bugs fixes etc
Professional Programmer, languages: SAS, C++, SQL, PL-SQL, DBPro, Purebasic, JavaScript, others
Hannibal
Years of Service
User Offline
Actually, Copying it over does work, I had copied it wrong

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-23 20:13:25
Your offset time is: 2024-04-23 20:13:25