Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Good quality, budget-friendly tablet?

Author
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Feb 2017 21:52
Looking to get a tablet for around $100 or so. Strongest features being a high quality screen (preferably 1080 with a high dpi) and good battery life. I don't know much about the tablet market. Main use is primarily to watch movies or surf web when on travels. Doesn't need 4k playback support, but fast enough to decode HD movies is a must. Any recommendations?

"I like offending people, because I think people who get offended should be offended." - Linus Torvalds
Ortu
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Feb 2017 22:01 Edited at: 13th Feb 2017 22:02
Cellular or WiFi only?

For that price, you are going to mostly be looking at 7"

I've been impressed with the Asus memopad line for the price point. (7", have used 2) WiFi only

Not a fan of a similar spec Lenovo. (7", have used one) cellular option

Samsung Galaxy are a bit higher price, but a very good device. (9.6" cell, 10.1" wifi, have used many)
http://games.joshkirklin.com/sulium

A single player RPG featuring a branching, player driven storyline of meaningful choices and multiple endings alongside challenging active combat and intelligent AI.
SpecTre
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Feb 2017 22:39 Edited at: 13th Feb 2017 22:40
Make sure it has an SD or micro SD slot on it if you want it for movies to make it easier. I have a Nexus 7 and it doesn't have this which makes it awkward to get movies on it.
The Amiga and Amos were great!
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Feb 2017 15:02 Edited at: 15th Feb 2017 15:57
I've been really considering the Amazon Fire HD 8" tablet. (plus I've been wanting to play around with FireOS) A drawback I've seen from reviews however call the screen mediocre.
https://www.amazon.com/All-New-Fire-Tablet-Display-Wi-Fi/dp/B01AHBBG04/

Then there's this one I found. It sounds like it has the screen I want and it can dual boot android and windows. The poor camera isn't a concern to me, but the battery life is a bit of a drawback at barely 5 hours (compared to amazon's claimed 12).
Chuwi Hi8

Astro Tab A10

Dragon Touch X80

Simbans Presto 10

So I think these 5 above are my options of what I like so far. I think I might have to comprise with a lower resolution than I wanted at my price point. There are very few options at 1080 for $100. What's your guys' thoughts?

"I like offending people, because I think people who get offended should be offended." - Linus Torvalds

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 00:45:15
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 00:45:15