Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DarkBASIC Professional Discussion / Texturing Objects from Wings 3d

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I created an object in the program wings 3d for my game. I have it loaded into my game but I cant figure out how to texture it. Ive tried everything but cant figure it out. Can anyone tell me a command that will work? Thanks
issacoder
Years of Service
User Offline
Yes, what you need to do is have a id number for the object and then put the texture you want. The texture object command would help. If the texture was 2 and the object number was 1, then you would put "texture object 1,2" Does that help?
adawginthefog
Years of Service
User Offline
No. I have already tried that command and the texture does not show up. I have tried it with multiple images too. Thanks though!
WickedX
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Feb 2017 02:36
Have you texture mapped your object in Wings 3D. Chances are your object is being textured with just the upper left pixel.
Ortu
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Feb 2017 03:00
Did you create a UV map for the model in wings3d? Did you export with UV data?

Does the model just show up white or what happens?
http://games.joshkirklin.com/sulium

A single player RPG featuring a branching, player driven storyline of meaningful choices and multiple endings alongside challenging active combat and intelligent AI.
adawginthefog
Years of Service
User Offline
The model is on a platform that I have created. I made it into the shape of a person. Im not entirely sure how to create UV maps or texture maps in wings 3d but I will try to figure it out. Thanks everyone!
Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Malevolence:Sword of Ahkranox, Skyrim, Civ6.
Posted: 14th Feb 2017 18:31
I'm sure someone will be able to help you - but probably not me.

I've just downloaded the latest version of Wings 3D and tried to use the built in UV mapping on a simple model. After several failed attempts I managed to get something working. However, I agree it isn't obvious how to do this in Wings and I'm not sure what the vital step was. There's probably a simple guide somewhere on their web site but I couldn't find it easily.

Anyway, the bottom line is that by default Wings 3D objects do not have UV texture coordinates - you have to use the UV mapping tools to do that and there are various options you can try.

I now know why I gave up on Wings3D and switched to MilkShape which is far easier for this purpose - apart from it's confusing x file exporters.