Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / Editboxes misbehaving again? Or am I just over-tired...

Author
AGK Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Feb 2017 13:36 Edited at: 20th Feb 2017 13:49
is it normal for the CreateEditBox() command to create a full-screen edit box while in landscape mode? even when repositioning it offscreen it's still filling up my entire screen

im trying to do the whole "keep the edit box invisible while i enter text with the keyboard" thing. I actually have a full-screen sprite in the scene which I am trying to overlay a text object onto, which holds the data in the editbox object.

to my eye, this looks like it should work:

Here's a screenshot of what it looks like - http://i.imgur.com/ui4084d.png - see how it's all fullscreen despite me having moved the edit box offscreen?

the edit box only goes fullscreen once I execute the line SetEditBoxFocus(edit, 1) and it is unaffected by the depth settings

I'm using this same code in my other game, which is a portrait application, and it works fine. The editbox is invisible.
I work full-time making games in AGK2 and DBpro. Living the dream!
Mobiius
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Feb 2017 16:03
It might be a "feature" of the keyboard you're using in Landscape mode.
What keyboard are you using? Have you tried alternative ones?
CumQuaT
AGK Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Feb 2017 22:13
I thought of that, too, and tried two types - one of which was the samsung default keyboard - and the behaviour still happens.
Paul Johnston
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Feb 2017 17:17
The input method on Android is quite complicated, due to the fact that getting raw data from the virtual keyboard into a native app is not reliable, some third party keyboards don't seem to send anything at all to native apps. So we had to hack it, and we use an Android edit box in the background to accept the virtual keyboard input, then copy this into the AppGameKit edit box. Normally this Android editbox is off screen and is never seen, but on phones, when in landscape, Android decides that this editbox should be fullscreen, and I haven't found a way to turn it off. So the data is still being copied to the AppGameKit editbox (which is now in the background), but you're now seeing the Android edit box.
CumQuaT
AGK Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Feb 2017 23:30
So it's something that just can't happen?
Paul Johnston
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Feb 2017 02:12
It's something we can't control. When the device goes to landscape mode (and has a small screen like a phone) Android decides the edit box should be full screen and overrides AGK.
CumQuaT
AGK Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Feb 2017 02:51
That's a damn shame... Oh well. Thanks for letting me know!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-20 06:47:27
Your offset time is: 2024-04-20 06:47:27