Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / [BUG] string tabs

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Mar 2017 13:44 Edited at: 2nd Mar 2017 23:33
Hi Guys,

as per code from AppGameKit Official Tutorial Guide.pdf p388 - modified slightly for act 11.14, below:

contains a tab in the string and will eventually corrupt the string for no reason.
Change it to 4 spaces, all good.
Tried with chr codes:

Line feed, new line works as expected

horizontal tab has same effect as string tab
CE
Years of Service
User Offline
Unfortunately the code block is converting my tab in the string to spaces. Try it in your code with a tab in there instead.
Mobiius
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Mar 2017 15:31 Edited at: 2nd Mar 2017 15:32
It's in the settings, but tabs are awful.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Paul Johnston
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Mar 2017 15:50
He's talking about tabs in AppGameKit text objects, which does seem to do something weird in the example given. In theory non-alpha characters (below ASCII value 32) should have zero size, the fact that it is spacing out the array elements is actually a bug, which only happens occasionally. However it makes sense to treat tabs as 4 spaces. So I've fixed it for the next version that non-alpha characters will have zero size, except tabs which will be 4 spaces in size.
CE
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "It's in the settings, but tabs are awful."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SsoOG6ZeyUI

Do you have anything to add about my fave colour being purple? I am really interested to know your opinion on the matter

* Thx Paul for picking out what I was referring to and providing an appropriate response. I appreciate that!

BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Mar 2017 17:30
Quote: "Do you have anything to add about my fave colour being purple? I am really interested to know your opinion on the matter"

we're a friendly bunch around here, and try not to let threads descend into flame wars.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur
TutCity is being rebuilt
Mobiius
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Mar 2017 10:02
Quote: "Do you have anything to add about my fave colour being purple? I am really interested to know your opinion on the matter"

No, not really. It doesn't affect my coding, or my codes ability to read in text files.
Signature removed by mod because it's larger than 600x120... please resize and try again.
CE
Years of Service
User Offline
In my defence, I wasn't asking for someones offensive opinion; I was asking if anyone else could see what the issue was.
Saying: "It's in the settings" along with an image is fine.
Adding: "but it's awful" is perpetrating an aggressive stance.
Defend your own, I expect as much, but don't pretend it is not otherwise an opinion piece best left to oneself.

After all, I am learning this system and will ask for help as needed, and I appreciate help, I don't appreciate wise cracks by people who see themselves as gods.
CE
Years of Service
User Offline
I apologise for being heavy footed. It is an irk of mine I see plastered all over the interwebs, and becoming more of a problem these days.
Someone asks a question, first response usually is: you're doing it wrong, or why do it that way cause *dumb*?

I understand most people are not effective teachers, nor will they ever be. They don't know how to effectively communicate in their primary language let alone secondary or tertiary etc to even be considered good enough to teach. But most people know stuff, and great teachers can be very expensive. That's why I care to listen to what you have to say, it may be insightful not only to me, but to others.

I did bait you in my response of yours to mine, Mobius. As bad as that sounds. I did feel it proved a point, especially since it was then mentioned to not start flame wars, you jumped right in with your follow up remark, which does seem to condescend my comment.

I am sorry to all who took offence with my comments and will refrain from that in future and hope others will pick me apart so I can continue to learn.
Mobiius
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Mar 2017 09:12
Quote: "Adding: "but it's awful" is perpetrating an aggressive stance. "

Actually, it was a personal opinion. (Of which I'm free to provide.) A simple piece of text (such as that) on its own with no clarification has no meaning or intent. You chose to perceive it as aggressive. (Which is your right) but perhaps in future you shouldn't get all worked up about three words of text some guy on the internet writes. (Overreactions like that *I* "see plastered all over the interwebs, and becoming more of a problem these days")
You could have chose to ignore it, but you made the decision to comment on it and treat it as aggressive. Maybe next time, leave it be. Leave it be, as I will now do.
Signature removed by mod because it's larger than 600x120... please resize and try again.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-30 01:30:28
Your offset time is: 2024-09-30 01:30:28