Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / Resize Window without clearing screen?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Mar 2017 23:36
Is it possible to resize the window without it clearing the screen until the window has been resized? I've looked at a lot of the functions in the documentation but can't seem to find one.

If you add a simple white box sprite or two to a project and then resize the window you will see that everything disappears until the resize drag has finished. Resize the browser you're reading this post on and you'll see what I'm after. I want it draw/update while it's resizing and not have to wait until afterwards.

It's not a show stopper but I'm interested in using AppGameKit to create desktop apps instead of mobile apps and I'm coming across things that just don't act like a normal desktop app would (I've already mentioned a problem where there's no minimum window size restraint). I know it's a game engine and that there are better SDK and languages for creating a proper desktop app but I really do like AppGameKit and can fake a bit of the typical desktop UI one would expect like split views, tabs, scroll bars, sliders, and custom alert boxes etc. It just looks odd when it all disappears while resizing.
Paul Johnston
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Mar 2017 16:52
The contents shouldn't disappear completely (although there is a setting in the Windows System->Advanced system settings->Performance settings->Visual effects->Show window contents while dragging that could be affecting it), but the window contents doesn't update, it will freeze. It seems this is a feature of Windows and is not easy to overcome, Windows pauses the app until the move or resize event has finished. I found some talk about implementing a custom window move/resize routine to avoid passing the WM_SYSCOMMAND message to DefWindowProc which is what pauses the app, but that would be overkill for AGK.
Kevin Cross
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Mar 2017 15:00 Edited at: 10th Mar 2017 15:15
Thanks for replying Paul. And sorry I probably should have mentioned that I'm on a Mac (a fairly old MacBook Pro). Is there a similar setting on the Mac somewhere? And what would happen with a published Mac app on another users computer? When I tried the .app version that gets created with the compiler the same thing happens. It clears completely while it's being resized. Does it happen on the Macs in your office? I don't have access to another one to test it on.

I'll try and take a screengrab showing it happen when I'm next on my laptop

If it works fine on other Macs and Windows then I'm happy to accept it being a problem on my laptop only.
Paul Johnston
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Mar 2017 16:06
Mac seems to be doing something similar, the entire app pauses whilst the resize is in progress, so might be difficult to work around.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-30 01:36:21
Your offset time is: 2024-09-30 01:36:21