Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / Permanently saving app data

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hello

The game I'm working on is quite large, hundreds of levels. Progress is saved, but if the game is uninstalled, or the player gets a new phone and reinstalls the game that data is lost. Is there an easy way to permenently save player data so that they can always get back to their game state?

Thanks.
CJB
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Mar 2017 11:19
Hi Niansenx.

To permanently save player game state, at the moment you'll need to set up your own server with a means of storing and retrieving player data (either as text files, or even better, a MySQL database), or use a 3rd party solution that has a web api that allows you to store / retrieve player data. With the latest release, it is possible to get the GameCentre player ID, so that can be used as a key to track a player across multiple devices.

niansenx
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks for that, I will investigate my options.
Markus
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Mar 2017 15:12
we should made a feature request.
i have a android app that provide a backup menu that copy data into a save folder which not belongs that app uninstall cleanup.
i experienced also apps that can not update and it was necessary to uninstall whereby i lost my data.
and app's that ask for the cloud storage login is inacceptable.
apps that copy data elsewhere (mysql) is not really a solution for the user.
i have 2 agk apps where data loss is not acceptable. so i need this persistent data feature too. a new command for move files between download and app folder maybe?
AGK (Steam) V2017.02.28 : Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit : AMD (17.2.1) Radeon R7 265 : Mac mini OS Sierra (10.12.2)
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Mar 2017 22:19
Quote: "or the player gets a new phone and reinstalls the game that data is lost"

Store it online. And easiest way to do that I think is to write your data in a structured format using a memblock. Then, convert the memblock into a base64 string. That'll make it easier to upload to a server as a single POST variable over http. (https ideally)

"I like offending people, because I think people who get offended should be offended." - Linus Torvalds
blink0k
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Mar 2017 00:35
This might help for a re-install but you might have to go online for a more permanent solution
CumQuaT
AGK Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Mar 2017 15:37
In fact, if you are planning on submitting to Apple, they have a requirement that any in-app unlockable content must be able to be retrieved by any player on any of their devices which they install the game, to. This is fairly simple for in-app purchases, but if the player has unlocked content through gameplay (such as an in-game currency, for example) you are still required to create an optional user-account system which allows players to restore their unlocked content. If you don't have this in the app, they'll reject it upon submission.
I work full-time making games in AGK2 and DBpro. Living the dream!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-30 01:24:21
Your offset time is: 2024-09-30 01:24:21