Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / How to Setup AdMobs for interstitial/fullscreen ads?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hello everybody.
I've been reading on ads options for GooglePlay games.
But I'm kind of confused with the required process to get ads running.
Saw other people posted this, but it was in 2014, and I'm afraid they were outdated or something similar.
Would really appreciate if someone could post their method for me to get some bearing.

Anybody willing to give a lowdown on the entire process on how to get interstitial/fullscreen ads working?
Thanks in advance
Preben
AGK Studio Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Mar 2017 10:01 Edited at: 19th Mar 2017 10:02
Something like this:

Before your main loop:

Then when you want the ad to appear:

You should ONLY call ShowFullscreenAdvertAdMob() if GetFullscreenAdvertLoadedAdMob() <> 0 , So you know exactly when the ad is appearing , if you just call ShowFullscreenAdvertAdMob() then the ad will appear after it is finish loading , this could be in the middle of playing a game , and WILL get your game suspended on iTunes/Google Play Store.
best regards Preben Eriksen,
hakimfullmetal
Years of Service
User Offline
I see. Thanks.
So by calling

AGK will download the ads automatically before we show it using ShowFullscreenAdvertAdMob()?
We don't need to do anything else to instruct AppGameKit to download the ads right?
tmu
Years of Service
User Offline
This is quite handy to identify the platform and set the AdMob id based on that. Is there some simple method to also identify whether on Amazon or Google Play?
Preben
AGK Studio Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Yes SetAdMobDetails will download and prepare the ad so its ready, so you dont need to do anything else

Quote: "whether on Amazon or Google Play?"

Just upload 2 different versions,
tmu
Years of Service
User Offline
I have previously configured and uploaded different versions for different platforms but it is a pain to remember to change a flag it every time. So I would rather just check in the code and select different exports from AppGameKit without the need for re-configure and compile..

Or maybe you had some other nice trick for it?
Preben
AGK Studio Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
No need only make different version if you like different analytics data , other then that there are only IOS and Android , Admob will ignore all other platforms so your able to upload the same version to all platforms, just use " if GetDeviceBaseName() = "ios" " ...

PSY
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Mar 2017 18:06
You might want to check out this thread:

https://forum.thegamecreators.com/thread/218073

PSY
PSY LABS Games
Coders don't die, they just gosub without return
hakimfullmetal
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Mar 2017 07:05 Edited at: 21st Mar 2017 07:25
Sorry double post. Please ignore
hakimfullmetal
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Mar 2017 07:05 Edited at: 21st Mar 2017 07:37
Sorry for this noob questions, but

Where do I get the AdMob Ad unit ID that should be put in this command?

In my Admob home screen, I saw a publisher ID
pub-6xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Is that what I should put inside the command?
Or is there a different code? How do I get it?

Also, GooglePlay Developer Console is asking for website address to register with Google Merchant, If I wanted to make an app with paid ads. But I don't have a website.
Will the ads works if I publish the app and get the AdMob Ad unit ID, without registering with Google Merchant?

Also I'm confused about-
Regarding options when exporting the APK file;
How do I get these things? Do I need them to make apps with ads?
- Google Play Application ID
- Keystore File
- Keystore Password
- Version Name
- Version Number
tmu
Years of Service
User Offline
Create ad units (banner/interstial) in the AdMob console for your campaigns/apps. It will give you ad unit id's. Sometimes it seems to take hours for them to work after creation. So set them up early and try. When you see the banner you know you made it.

BTW how do you quote properly in this forum?
hakimfullmetal
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Mar 2017 07:46 Edited at: 21st Mar 2017 08:22
Quote: "tmu
Create ad units (banner/interstial) in the AdMob console for your campaigns/apps. It will give you ad unit id's. Sometimes it seems to take hours for them to work after creation. So set them up early and try. When you see the banner you know you made it.

BTW how do you quote properly in this forum?"

Don't know. I just quote manually.

Also, GooglePlay Developer Console is asking for website address to register with Google Merchant, If I wanted to make an app with paid ads. But I don't have a website.
Will the ads works if I publish the app and get the AdMob Ad unit ID, without registering with Google Merchant?

Also I'm confused about-
Regarding options when exporting the APK file;
How do I get these things? Do I need them to make apps with ads?
- Google Play Application ID
tmu
Years of Service
User Offline
Which options confuse you?

The Google Game Services ID is under the Google Play developer console when you click on the game controller icon to open game services on the left navbar and it opens the "overview". The ID is under your app name. I think it is not required if you are not using GameCenter on AppGameKit .

The other options should be more obvious. I think the package name you gave when setting up the project and its also under your game name in the application tab (top icon on left nav bar) in the Dashboard tab.

I can't see where the merchant registration requirement is given right now. But I have made apps with admob and with in-app purchases. I don't recall registering as a merchant when I did the first ones with only AdMob use. I recall only doing that when setting up the in-app purchases. I would just set the ads up and see they work using the beta testing functionality.

I am sure other can give more precise instructions and confirm the merchant account needs.

hakimfullmetal
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Mar 2017 09:10 Edited at: 21st Mar 2017 09:11
I see.
Do you also successfully receive the ad payment from Google?
If I'm not mistaken, Google will give out payment for every $100 we make?
I imagine we only need to fill in our account details once the first $100 milestone is achieved?
Or do I missed the payment method somewhere in the process?
tmu
Years of Service
User Offline
Yeah I wish I knew, since I never made $100, LOL .

Yes, I believe they will ask when you need to get the payment.. I believe I only set the details for play store when I paid myself a test payment for an in-app purchase.

hakimfullmetal
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Mar 2017 10:06 Edited at: 21st Mar 2017 18:18
Thank you guys, I managed to make my test app display interstitial/fullscreen ads.
Will wait some more to link AdMob to the actual app (AdMob didn't list the app yet, but in GooglePlay it's already available)
Appreciate it very much. Will ask again if anything comes up.

Just in case anybody is as clueless as I was, the rough process is:
- Get Google Account
- Register with Google Developer for $25
- Register with AdMob
- Click MONETIZE on AdMob. MONETIZE NEW APP. ADD YOUR APP MANUALLY to obtain AdMob Ad unit ID
- Use the AdMob Ad unit ID in the command SetAdMobDetails( "pub-6xxxxxxxxxxxxxx" )
- Use the above-mentioned ads snippets in the game
- Generate KeyStore File from AppGameKit Tool --> Android --> generate keystore file.
- During app export, use the keystore file with its password and all to sign it so it can be accepted by Google Play
- Upload and publish your APK in Google Play Developer
- Open AdMob website, link the uploaded app to Admob monetization plan that we made previously
- Download and use app to rack up impression count.
- When the add money reaches $100, select setting from AdMob website, then Payments --> How you get paid (I've yet to test this myself)
PSY
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Mar 2017 16:19
Thanks for writing down the steps hakimfullmetal!

I'm about to set up an AdMob account, so your info comes in handy

Do NOT click on your own ads to generate income, Google will notice that and ban you ( at least that's what I've read in numerous forums ).

PSY LABS Games
hakimfullmetal
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Mar 2017 18:27 Edited at: 21st Mar 2017 18:32
Quote: "
tmu
Yeah I wish I knew, since I never made $100, LOL .

Yes, I believe they will ask when you need to get the payment.. I believe I only set the details for play store when I paid myself a test payment for an in-app purchase.
"

When you set up the app with the in-app purchase, didn't you need to setup a Merchant account too?
And Merchant required your own website address. Do you have to set up a website of your own too?

ALso regarding package name...
do we have to use this format?
Quote: "com.TESTADS.myapp"

I've tried to use TEST.ADS but it wasn't accepted by GooglePlay.
So we need to include both the 'com' and 'myapp' words, with our app name in the middle?
tmu
Years of Service
User Offline
Yes when I set up the InApp purchases I had to set up Google Merchant. But I only set these up after running apps with AdMob adds for 1-2 years first.

As for the package name, I never had issues. For example "com.hakimfullmetal.games.iapnuthouse" should be fine. But maybe good to get the domain name for yourself or something. They are quite cheap.
hakimfullmetal
Years of Service
User Offline
I've seen Psy code prioritizes ChartBoost over AdMobs
Does Chartboost really pays more compared to AdMobs for interstitial ads? By how much?
I've read mixed reviews on the net. Does somebody here had relevant experiences with those 2 type of ads?
Funnell7
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Mar 2017 10:08 Edited at: 22nd Mar 2017 10:16
I use Interstitial Ads and have predominately used AdMob. I tried Chartboost for about 3 months as an experiment and found that my earnings were considerably lower. Having said that, I'm probably not the best example as I'm not making a huge amount of money (~$150 a month). I suspect and have heard that Chartboost is generally better than AdMob in terms of revenue, but these stories are usually based on people who get a lot of traffic/rev.

It's not really possible to determine which provider pays more per ad, as it is a bidding system. Advertisers select how much they are willing to pay for each click (CPC) and this determines your earnings. If you're lucky you occasionally get an ad which pays a couple dollars per click, they're the good ones
Using AppGameKit V2 Tier 1
PSY
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Mar 2017 16:34
Quote: "I've seen Psy code prioritizes ChartBoost over AdMobs
Does Chartboost really pays more compared to AdMobs for interstitial ads? By how much?
I've read mixed reviews on the net. Does somebody here had relevant experiences with those 2 type of ads?"

That's just personal preference, and depends on the project.
I preferred the Chartboost ads because they were related to games only, and I liked the design better.

However, nothing's set in stone.
You can always change the parameters to your convenience...

PSY
PSY LABS Games

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-26 14:33:00
Your offset time is: 2024-04-26 14:33:00