Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / well this stinks!

Author
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Mar 2017 13:22 Edited at: 31st Mar 2017 13:30
Took my Duster out last friday when I suddenly lost oil pressure on the highway. (not good) Started taking the engine apart to see what happened, checking my oil pump first. Then I found the issue, or least what caused the oil pressure problem. A bent push rod which then caused the lifter to come out. Still unsure what cause the rod to bend, it could be a simple matter of over-revving the engine (no rev limiter on these things).

This should be straight and 1 piece!

Why I lost oil pressure.

My poor baby needs surgery!

"I like offending people, because I think people who get offended should be offended." - Linus Torvalds
CJB
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Mar 2017 14:04
Ouch! Have you lost any teeth on the timing belt?
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Mar 2017 18:47
These used a chain instead of a belt. I have not inspected that, I doubt that would've happened.

"I like offending people, because I think people who get offended should be offended." - Linus Torvalds
Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Mar 2017 20:14
Nah you see, this is just the engine having a go at variable valve lift and such. Sad to see it didn't work Good thing it only tried it with one valve! Engines these days...
"I do quite enjoy quoting myself, and I do so often. It's very fun." - Myself
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Apr 2017 00:32
lol well it is a 46 year old engine. Old dog new tricks? Ney! I'm trying to take the heads off, but two problems. I've unbolted the headers yet there's not room to move them. Secondly, I have yet to break free even a single head bolt! Those suckers are on there tight!

Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Apr 2017 11:30 Edited at: 1st Apr 2017 11:33
Quote: "well it is a 46 year old engine"
Oh nice, that's interesting, about the same age as the little 2 horsepower Briggs engine I rebuilt about a year ago.

Quote: "I've unbolted the headers yet there's not room to move them."
Reminds me of when my dad and I just recently replaced the master clutch cylinder on my 92 Nissan Pathfinder (solid car by the way, this is literally the first time it's ever broken down). Removing the cylinder was easy, but putting the new one in properly took us a great while to figure out. The stinkin brake assist was in the way! Well we didn't put it in properly, per se... We used a screwdriver to displace the brake assist (probably not ideal), only later to find that all it took was just turning the cylinder a very specific way to maneuver it into position. Pft! It's amazing what could be designed before the days of CAD. The sort of team integration required to design such a complex three dimensional conglomerate of contraptions and wires and tubes and pipes, as what's in an engine bay, must have been crazy.
"I do quite enjoy quoting myself, and I do so often. It's very fun." - Myself
Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Apr 2017 15:33
Camshaft issue, or wear on the rod causing vibrations until it got caught and bent.
That liquid gasket doesn't look good to me, and may have been the root of the problem. (looks like some on the other rod)
If that gunk got up into your works, then it may have cause something up top to stick. (I have never liked the idea of that stuff)
It is a wonder that you didn't hear it making a knocking noise before it broke, unless you blast your radio all the time.
I am not a mechanic, or I would be offering some solid suggestions.
Sweet ride though... Plum Crazy!

Coding things my way since 1981 -- Currently using AppGameKit V2 Tier 1
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Apr 2017 23:08
Quote: "That liquid gasket doesn't look good to me,"

The blue rtv you see is for the valley pan, then a metal bar bolts on top across there and the other end. According to specs, that is one of the spots it says to use rtv.

And actually no, I rarely turn on the radio in that car because I want to hear my engine! But I was cruising on the highway, windows down, so I turned on the music. Soon as I was slowing down coming off the highway is when I started to hear it. Could have been going on for a few miles. I'm trying to pull the heads off to inspect the valves. But like I said, so far I see no wear on anything. And with the rod being cracked at the bend, I'm thinking it's possible the rod cracked first under stress (maybe a manufacturing defect) and that weakened it to the point it bent. But I have no idea.

Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Apr 2017 14:57 Edited at: 2nd Apr 2017 15:09
Quote: "And actually no, I rarely turn on the radio in that car because I want to hear my engine!"

I am the same way.
I always play the radio low enough to hear my engine in case it starts acting up.
That is only because I am used to driving junk, with the except of a few cars I've had.
My 1965 Mustang looked great, but had major frame issue once we crawled underneath and took a real close look.
My dad had a 1968 Camaro convertible with racing stripes and all, and he gave it to my sister, who then gave it to her boyfriend at the time.
(if only I had access to a time machine just for a day)

Best of luck with your Mopar and I hope you get it sorted out, but it looks like you are very mechanically inclined so I have confidence you will fix it proper.
It very well could have been a manufacture defect, or even damage from a previous owner that was minor and got worse, unless you bought it new, then yes to the defect.
At least you have a good old car without all that unnecessary electronic and other emissions crap that you have to remove just to change the spark plugs.

Coding things my way since 1981 -- Currently using AppGameKit V2 Tier 1
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Apr 2017 20:17
I almost bought a '65 mustang. I was actually on my way to go look at it (about a 90min drive away) when the guy in town with the Duster called me. Part of me still wants that mustang just for cruising, but where's the fun in a 289 when I can have a 440?

With the 440 crammed into an A body, the headers make it very difficult to change my spark plugs.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 07:39:01
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 07:39:01