Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / Does AGK have any fully supported 3D file formats?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Apr 2017 16:03 Edited at: 8th Apr 2017 16:18
The key word here is fully.
I have several files that will work to some degree or other but then others that don't work at all, even though the help files claim that they are in a supported file format.

To make things worse, I'm not a modeller at all, so any 3D files I have, I buy. I've bought some models from 3DRt.com (great site but not cheap!) and it seems I may have wasted my money.
Most files will load OK but some won't allow me to texture them. Others will only load the static model. If I try to load "WIthChildren" then the vertices are all over the place!

I'd really like to know if there is a fully supported format that will work in every case. If not, is there one that works most of the time?

Thanks

[Edit] I am using the latest build
AGK V2 user - Tier 1 (mostly)
nz0
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Apr 2017 17:36
I've got almost 100% animation functionality with .X exported from lightwave.

I might be able to fix some of them up for you as I seem to have been working on these niggles for weeks now!

Trouble is, the cloning of animated models still seems to have various issues, so it's still effectively un-usable...

hoyoyo80
Years of Service
User Offline
Im using blender+ultimate unwrap to export to skeletal animated .x (i have problem exporting directly to .x using blender)
Markus
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Apr 2017 23:18
3d exchange is a drama since 20 years.
in past my favorite was .3ds and .x
currently .dae and .fbx but i can't say that it works with agk.
using a converter is no fun.

AGK (Steam) V2017.03.31 : Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit : AMD (17.2.1) Radeon R7 265 : Mac mini OS Sierra (10.12.2)
nz0
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2017 12:00
Quote: "Im using blender+ultimate unwrap to export to skeletal animated .x (i have problem exporting directly to .x using blender)"

Hmm. Just looked at ultimate unwrap, but the demo doesn't allow saving, so how can I verify if it does what I need!!?
hoyoyo80, can you test out passing my model through ultimate unwrap to see if it sorts out my problem?

The model is attached to this post. The animated model works just fine in AppGameKit, but won't clone.

Scraggle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2017 13:36
After some experimentation I have found that I get a better result if the animated model isn't scaled.
Unfortunately, I need to scale some or all of the models so this isn't really useful.
AGK V2 user - Tier 1 (mostly)
Golelorn
Years of Service
User Offline
I've been messing with 3d for a week now. So take what I say with a grain of salt. I've only been able to animate .x and .dae. I can't even get .fbx or .blend to show up in AGK. I don't think blender is reliable for .x exports.

Which stinks, because when it does export correctly its much easier to use, and seems to be more forgiving if you make a mistake during rigging. I had to rerig and animate a character using .dae, because somewhere along the way the roll degrees got jacked up. Even, though, it worked fine in .x, and looked fine in blender. Then out of the blue my .x model decided he wanted to go from right-handed to left-handed... wtf. I don't even see how that was possible without destroying the mesh or animations, but it was... What an adventure! lol
Jack
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2017 14:13 Edited at: 9th Apr 2017 14:24
The ms3d format has all of the features supported and is imo the most stable format.
Just be aware, that AppGameKit has a custom shader to draw the models, so you have to rework most of the visualization stuff with an own shader.

[/url]
nz0
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2017 20:00
Quote: "I don't think blender is reliable for .x exports. "

I didn't initially get results with the lightwave .X exporter until I tried different combinations of export switches (normal flipping, DX7 / DX8 formats etc.)

The lightwave AppGameKit animation support is "not bad" but all motions need to be baked. At least with the .X it's correct and compact (no need to bake) - but no cloning!

I spent more time this afternoon trying another 3 or 4 products with no positive outcome.

@Golelorn I've not been able to get a DAE to animate at all. All I get is a single pose from either converting my Lightwave scene or my exported .X model.

Can people confirm that their (eventually working) animations loaded with LoadObjectWithChildren() successfully clone? You'll only end up in another useless situation later..

@Jack - ms3d? is that another name for .X ?
nz0
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2017 20:01
Quote: "After some experimentation I have found that I get a better result if the animated model isn't scaled.
Unfortunately, I need to scale some or all of the models so this isn't really useful.
"

Is that scaled in AppGameKit after loading? I've yet to see any negative effects with that. You are using ScalePermanent right?
Jack
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2017 22:22
Quote: "ms3d? is that another name for .X ?"

No, it's the native format of Milkshape 3d.

[/url]
nz0
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2017 23:24
OK, yea Milkshape. No import for LWS or .X so not much help

Maybe I can proxy an animation in, but it will probably be borked at the prior stage..
hoyoyo80
Years of Service
User Offline
I cant open your .x, sorry. But will try again later.
Jack
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Apr 2017 11:00 Edited at: 10th Apr 2017 11:05
Quote: "No import for LWS or .X so not much help"

Yes, .X files have the animation baked in the verticles,
while the ms3d file has verticles attached to animated bones.
The ms3d animation system will save more performance and files will be much smaller. (Correct me if I am wrong and some sort of new .X format appeared between '09 and now that has at least one advantage to other formats)

I think fbx/dae are using the same bone animation thing like ms3d, but I have to check it first in detail.

Meanwhile you can compare 3d formats in detail with the following code:

[/url]

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-30 01:30:43
Your offset time is: 2024-09-30 01:30:43