Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / How fast is the AGPK2 compiler on a fairly decent Windows PC?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi

From your experience, how fast is the AGK2 compiler for large projects? An example would be handy.

Also, how can I see exactly how long compilation time is? Currently when I compile an example project the compiler window just says, "Compilation finished successfully" without additional detail. Is there a log file saved somewhere?

Background info: I have a big game project I want to move to AGK2 from a very similar game development system. It should be relatively easy for me to learn to code with AGK2. I want to minimize time taken for compilation and getting a rough idea of how quick the compiler is would help. For context, the project in my old game development system takes 6.5 secs to compile 8735 (tier1 style) commands.
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Apr 2017 09:47
I have a project that is 9,400 lines. It compiles as soon as I press the compile button (less than 1 second).
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur
TutCity is being rebuilt
Stab in the Dark software
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Badges, I don't need no stinkin badges
Posted: 17th Apr 2017 12:44
Very Fast
The coffee is lovely dark and deep,and I have code to write before I sleep.
WyrdKnight
Years of Service
User Offline
Seems so. Are there any tips on improving compilation for large projects?

The example I gave of ~8700 commands is relatively small compared to what I've been working on. Although I try to complete parts of the project in a modular format to speed things up, I just know its going to get slow down the line.
tmu
Years of Service
User Offline
My game is also about 10k lines (no sure about number of commands) and it compiles usually under a second. Sometimes maybe 1-2s. So really it is very fast. If you go much bigger you have other concerns anyway but for this scale it is quite ok.
Stab in the Dark software
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Badges, I don't need no stinkin badges
Posted: 17th Apr 2017 22:13
Quote: " I just know its going to get slow down the line"

You do not know that.
The coffee is lovely dark and deep,and I have code to write before I sleep.
Xaby
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Apr 2017 14:03
@WyrdKnight

From what I have seen, it is one of the fastest compilers when it came to "Game-Making-Software". Game Maker: Studio is very slow. An AGK2 is nearly as fast as PureBasic. From what I can tell you, the loading time for assets in bigger projects is a thing. So I don't know, what your project is about, but I also don't really understand the question. For such great projects you have to functions and moduls seperately and you don't have to compile all together. e.g. in Turbo Pascal 7.0 from Borland, you could compile UNITs with code, so that they didn't have to compile everytime from the source. Maybe not changed functions in AGK2 will also compiled in a temp or so. My projects are small yet, but loading the assets in the compiled game is, what took the time. So I have to optimise that before I can complain about the compiling time itself.

WyrdKnight
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks for the feedback. Its much appreciated.

I did a brief test by renaming the same function containing what I imagine are some demanding commands to break down into C++. I did this multiple times until I had 24000 lines of code. Compiling time was decent. Although not a "real world" test I think I can conclude that compiling will be faster than the other APK-style language I've been using, so that's helpful. Also did a test loading assets and the loading times shouldn't be a big issue, since my art assets tend to be low-fi.

[quote=You do not know that.]

No, but I can make an educated guess.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-30 01:31:51
Your offset time is: 2024-09-30 01:31:51