Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / Question about error "Uncaught Exception: Choose format failed" with AGK & old processor.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Apr 2017 16:33
I am trying to execute an AppGameKit compiled file in an old Dell laptop, but I get the error message: "Uncaught Exception: Choose format failed".

I suspect it has to do with the laptop's old processor (core2duo) not correctly supporting OpenGL2 -although I installed the latest drivers from Intel, and the company stating in the official specs that its CPU supports upto opengl3.2.

has anyone else experienced this error before? Should I try compiling in an older AppGameKit version? Or is it just a hardware limitation and nothing else can be done?
Paul Johnston
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Apr 2017 14:10
"Choose Format Failed" means it couldn't supply an OpenGL 2 back buffer with at least 32bit color and 24bit depth. Is the desktop set to 32bit color?
nickele upgraded
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Apr 2017 16:25
Yes, the desktop is indeed in 32 bit color.

A quick google search in the internet and various forums revealed that some core2duo cpus where supporting (upto) opengl 3 only in specs, as Intel failed to provide drivers that supported opengl versions grater than 1.x. I don't know if this is the issue or if it is that the laptop uses the Vista os.
Paul Johnston
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Apr 2017 14:31
I recall something similar on old Intel integrated GPUs where Linux had OpenGL drivers for the full capabilities of the card, but the Windows drivers were limited it to OpenGL 1.4, so that may be the case here.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 07:49:17
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 07:49:17