Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / Full fledged XML reader/write

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
AGK2 seems to be a great tool and with the recent DLC allowing to import GameGuru 3D directly into it, it could become a good alternative for many to more complex platforms such as Unity.

The only issue seems to be the lack of some basic features. I for example am looking for a platform to create V2 of a serious game scenario engine I have created using Construct 2. One of the key
features is the ability to read XML-based scenario files to create a new game without having to code each time. AGK2 looks like a great contender for this platform move, but I was surprised to
find no full-fledged XML read/write solution existing or some of the Ajax / XML functions found in C2.

Does anyone have any insights into solving this? I did notice one user published a function which allowed to read 1 entry per section XML files, but this doesn't work for me. I would really like to
avoid having to write an XML parser, so any help is welcome.
Jack
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Apr 2017 20:52 Edited at: 27th Apr 2017 20:54
Quote: "features is the ability to read XML-based scenario files"

1: goto google.com
2. paste: agk xml site:forum.thegamecreators.com
3. See all the XML importer lib threads for AGK
4. Get it
5. Be happy that someone has already thought about your worries.

This also works for other queries! I always search first, because there is always a solution anywhere in this mighty board!

But there is also a powerful JSON thread on the first or second page of this board,
there you will find AGK's most competent XML reader

[/url]
wmsgva
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks Jack, I know how to use Google (...)

I had already checked and found that most of the solutions provided were limited to single line entry XML files. I did find another (here: https://forum.thegamecreators.com/thread/214460) which is closer
to my needs, but it still has some limitations (I will update this to suit my needs).

My question really was about The Game Creators providing a full-fledged built-in solution, as you can find in Construct 2.

Thanks
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Apr 2017 15:07
Have you tried my latest version? https://forum.thegamecreators.com/thread/219044

It's builds a DOM tree-like array which you can then access to pull the data. I feel it's the most complete one you'll find right now.

What's your target platform? If just for desktops, you could probably do a plugin it. But if mobile is your target then you're stuck with an agk-coded solution.

"I like offending people, because I think people who get offended should be offended." - Linus Torvalds
RickV
TGC Development Director
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Apr 2017 16:22
Hi,

XML is an item that has been requested from time to time. We're not able to support it with AppGameKit at this time. Hopefully the third party source codes can help you.

Just know that it's on our radar but not for now.

Rick
Development Director
TGC Team
wmsgva
Years of Service
User Offline
@Phaelax : Thanks for the suggestion, I will check out your parser.

@RickV: Hope it's something you can fit in sometime, as it would be quite useful for many types of apps.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-30 03:28:15
Your offset time is: 2024-09-30 03:28:15