Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / AppGameKit Tier 2 with Visual Studio, *Feedback Required*

Author
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th May 2017 15:14
I've created a small survey for those of you using Visual Studio for Tier 2 on Windows, you can see it here. We currently support 4 different versions of Visual Studio so I'd like to reduce that if possible, it would also make a 64-bit Windows version easier. Please let me know your feedback.
Markus
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th May 2017 21:53
i filled out your survey
with 2015 a had a big setup trouble.
2017 i had only trouble with setup uwp and something else^^
but 2017 is my favorite ...
AGK (Steam) V2017.03.31 : Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit : AMD (17.2.1) Radeon R7 265 : Mac mini OS Sierra (10.12.2)
Bigsofty
Years of Service
User Offline
P.S. Plz add the 2017 template.
Lucas Tiridath
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th May 2017 10:30
Done the survey now. Reducing the number of templates you have to maintain sounds perfectly reasonable to me. Just a couple of thoughts on this.

First off, have you considered providing the templates with a system like CMake so that project files are automatically generated? This would reduce the overhead on you to maintain all these templates, and would also make it easier for us Tier 2 users to setup our games on multiple platforms. For my current game, I've had to make significant changes to the templates so that they can all reference the same source files, rather than having to keep copy-pasting source files between different directories, and I still have to manually update some like the XCode projects.

Second, whilst I'm definitely keen to see a 64 bit build, a lot of the advantages that interest me about more recent versions of Visual Studio are not to do with the IDE but to do with the improved language support for more modern C++ standards like C++11 and 14. However at the moment, we can't use many features, even from C++11, because AppGameKit has been built without support for them on other platforms. For example, on OS X and iOS, AppGameKit is linked with the libstdc++ library, which lacks C++11 support. If you're looking into upgrading the Windows template to Visual Studio 2017, is there any chance you could start upgrading the other platforms too, for example by linking with libc++ on OS X and iOS, so that we can start using more modern language features in Tier 2? As far as I'm aware, the only platform AppGameKit Tier 2 targets that doesn't support C++11 is the Blackberry Playbook, and I'm not even sure if that's still officially maintained. All the other platforms (Windows, OS X, Linux, iOS, Android) have good C++11 support now, so setting up the templates so we can make use of this should at least be possible.

Anyhow just a couple of ideas. Glad to see AppGameKit is still moving forwards!
george++
AGK Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th May 2017 13:47 Edited at: 7th May 2017 13:49
I am done with the survey. Since there is a new Visual Studio version every 2 years, I suggest that AppGameKit to offer support only for the recent 2 versions of Visual Studio
AjiMundi
Years of Service
User Offline
Done. A native VS 2017 template would be great.
AjiMundi
Years of Service
User Offline
Done. A native VS 2017 template would be great.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 01:09:23
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 01:09:23