Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers AppGameKit Corner / Can we modify the write path of Tier 1 Apps?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I understand that Android must write app data to certain place (i.e. the OBB folder), but shouldn't a Windows app be able to write to its own folder? I am asking this because I want to create an school bell app that can store and use user-supplied sounds within its own folder so it can be moved freely with everything intact, making it portable app.

Also, in the case of using AppData folder, can we forego the 'AGK Apps' folder? E.g. instead of 'C:\Users\myusername\AppData\Local\AGKApps\mycompany' it would be 'C:\Users\myusername\AppData\Local\mycompany' . It looks more professional that way, even though casual user of our apps might not even notice it.

Thank you.
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th May 2017 08:15
You can use SetRawWritePath()
But it will probably be much better to use MadBit's FileExplore plugin.

Historically, these folders were set like this to ensure file security on mobile devices was adhered to.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur
TutCity is being rebuilt
AjiMundi
Years of Service
User Offline
Okay, since I got no answer to this when I went home yesterday (waiting for approval), I fiddled a bit on my own with the file commands. I could have sworn I was not able to get it to work the first time I tried AppGameKit months ago. But, lo and behold, I can get it to work this time.
Are these commands new? I remember refraining using AppGameKit for a project because of it (not being able to write to program folder).
Still, would love to get a solution for the second part of my question, though..
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th May 2017 06:30
Not sure why you couldn't see it? I approved the thread at the same time as my post above.
Once you SetRawWritePath, you can use whatever path you like. But it would need a little bit of logic to get the User folder. You'll have to GetWritePath(), and parse it to work it out.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur
TutCity is being rebuilt
AjiMundi
Years of Service
User Offline
No, I mean it was not approved at the time of my leaving.
I got it to work fine with my app folder and the document folder. I still can't get it to save in Users folder other than within AGKApps folder, though. But that is a minor thing. I'll just use the document path instead. Going forward with my project.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-20 07:51:07
Your offset time is: 2024-04-20 07:51:07