Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / JoinNetwork Question

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th May 2017 01:31 Edited at: 11th May 2017 04:17
UPDATE: SOLVED!

I forgot that I had activated an os firewall on one of my machines (a mac running Yosemite 10.10.5) a few months ago for something I was trying out... but I forgot to turn it off again (blush). Doing so killed the ability for that machine to receive any packets sent by AGKs networking commands UNLESS they are bound to an IP and port. Just letting everyone know in case anyone else runs into this. Take care!

Hello all,

I was wondering if anyone has had any recent issues with being unable to use JoinNetwork() when using the local area broadcast version (integer JoinNetwork( szNetworkName, szMyName )). I cannot get it to work on my lan, but it does work when I bind a client to my server's ip and port using the integer JoinNetwork( szIP, port, szMyName ) version. For example:

My server has the following:

myNet = HostNetwork("Cool Network", "Cool Hoster", 9255)

Then when my client has the following:
myServer = JoinNetwork("Cool Network", "Cool Joiner") // Does not work on my lan anymore... will not join the network and times out (I even looped for over 10 seconds)
myServer = JoinNetwork("10.0.1.3", 9255, "Cool Joiner") // Works just fine on my lan with almost no delay

Using the integer JoinNetwork( szNetworkName, szMyName ) version was working just fine about 6 months ago. I have since updated my AGK2 several times (every update pretty much)... but have not messed with networking until the last 24 hours. So a lot could have changed. I thought maybe it had something to do with a network change on my end... but I know for a fact that I using my client/server on the same subnet... so broadcast packets should be fine.

Am I the only one with this issue? If not, what did you do to solve it?

Thanks!

MikeMax
AGK Academic Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th May 2017 09:22 Edited at: 16th May 2017 09:30
Quote: "myNet = HostNetwork("Cool Network", "Cool Hoster", 9255)

Then when my client has the following:
myServer = JoinNetwork("Cool Network", "Cool Joiner") // Does not work on my lan anymore... will not join the network and times out (I even looped for over 10 seconds)
myServer = JoinNetwork("10.0.1.3", 9255, "Cool Joiner") // Works just fine on my lan with almost no delay"

for me the JoinNetwork("Cool Network", "Cool Joiner") works ... but if i do JoinNetwork("Cool Network", 9255, "Cool Joiner") it does'nt connect.

I also saw that the "quit/disconnect" event doesn't seem to refresh the clients list with GetNetworkFirstClient ... GetNetworkNextClient commands on other still connected clients

(Is seems that a disconnection send the Msg ID 6 but does nothing on other clients)

Paul ? any idea ? (i'm dealing with IPV4 only)
--------------------------------
Join us on dedicated AppGameKit WeeKChat :
https://week.chat/room/AppGameKit

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-30 03:37:02
Your offset time is: 2024-09-30 03:37:02