Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers AppGameKit Corner / 3rd person camera (following) code

Author
Years of Service
User Offline

I'm ashamed to admit it took me hours and hours to figure this out. I read a very thorough tutorial for c#, and it allowed me to figure out how to do this. I can't believe how simple it was. Just trying to help other newbs with no programming experience.
29 games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th May 2017 20:07
This is what I like about AppGameKit, there are some things that are very simple but you have to use the commands creatively. On face value, the move commands (MoveCameraLocalZ etc) do just what they say they do. In this case you're using them to set a position of the camera relative to something else, which I don't think is an entirely obvious thing to do but is very powerful.
Hover Car Race Challenge! - available now on Google Play
Invaders of the 29th Dimension - available now on Google Play
Find me on indieDB
nz0
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th May 2017 23:43
^ this. I do like this about AGK. There's obviously a whole lot more, but you kind of have to know what it is you want first before making a complex solution to something simple.
Golelorn
Years of Service
User Offline
Yea, I thought about trying Unity. But the thing I love about AppGameKit is I have direct control, in addition to, not having the extra time to learn such a complex system. AppGameKit is almost stupid simple for non-programmers(of course one will be frustrated as they learn).

I have, so far, been able to do anything I have wanted. Of course, there is a learning curve, and a lot of research(I worked on that simple camera issue for days on my off-time). Especially, imo, 3d which has very little documentation. I messed with 2d, and it was a breeze to learn and worked to perfection - I was able to do things I thought was far beyond my ability in such a short time. Maybe my head got too big, and I decided to tackle 3d!!
nz0
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th May 2017 20:45 Edited at: 17th May 2017 20:50
Good for you.
The 3D parts are very approachable and does most of what I want anyway. The only actual missing thing for me is no shadows like we had in DBPRo, but maybe one day

Keep going with the 3D.. a lot of the time, I can work in 2D in a 3D environment.
Look at this game I'm currently working on:

Y is hardly ever used.. it's just X and Z work really. Sometimes it's easy to overthink 3D and with something like AppGameKit, 3D is actually really easy to work with.
Oh yea, and the camera code in this demo is like a few lines. It's just setting the camera position and where it's looking at.

Golelorn
Years of Service
User Offline
Nice work on that!

I think I read one of your threads, nz0, and your solution helped me. I can't remember what it was, though. I know it had to do with replacing the z with y.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-28 13:05:04
Your offset time is: 2024-03-28 13:05:04