Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / Android TV with AppGameKit

Author
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th May 2017 16:55 Edited at: 17th May 2017 19:18
This is a work in progress. I am attempting to build a Google TV app with AppGameKit 2 Tier 2. This is what i have done so far but haven't tried submitting a TV app to google yet. (I will soon!)

The only thing (i think) i am missing is D-Pad support for an android TV remote. I think you may be able to submit a game that requires only a game controller.

This was my source of information: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qv-e1sV3gos&t=34s

This will show an app in the Android TV menu and launch it. I tested it on a Razer Forge TV.

----------------------------------------------------

HOW TO CONVERT GOOGLEPLAY TEMPLATE TO GOOGLEPLAYTV TEMPLATE:

Go to your apps folder: (Your Installation Directory)\App Game Kit2\Tier 2\apps\

Copy and paste the "template_android_google" folder. Rename the new copy to "template_android_googletv"

Edit the AndroidManifest file:

under: android:icon="@drawable/icon"
add: android:banner="@drawable/banner"
android:isGame="true" // by adding "isGame", it moved my program from the "Apps" section to the "Games" section on the android tv's main menu.

under: <intent-filter>
<action android:name="android.intent.action.MAIN" />
<category android:name="android.intent.category.LAUNCHER" />
</intent-filter> // I think if you remove this then your app will only work on Android TV devices???

add this : <intent-filter>
<action android:name="android.intent.action.MAIN" />
<category android:name="android.intent.category.LEANBACK_LAUNCHER" />
</intent-filter>

under: <uses-feature android:name="android.hardware.camera" android:required="false" />
add this: <uses-feature android:name="android.hardware.touchscreen" android:required="false" />
<uses-feature android:name="android.hardware.gamepad" android:required="false" /> // leave false even if it is required

Replace: <uses-permission android:name="android.permission.CAMERA" />
<uses-permission android:name="android.permission.ACCESS_FINE_LOCATION" />

With this: <uses-permission android:name="android.permission.CAMERA" android:required="false" />
<uses-permission android:name="android.permission.ACCESS_FINE_LOCATION" android:required="false" />

Create a png image 320 X 180 and name it "banner.png" add it to \AGK2Template\src\main\res\drawable-xhdpi

------------------------------

FYI: DON'T ADD ADS TO YOUR GOOGLE TV APP.

Even if Google is the owner of Admobs, Android TV doesn't support it.
From what I understand it is because there is no web browser on Android TV. Android TV ad requirements: Ads must
not appear alongside or over content. The user must be able to dismiss an advertisement with the D-pad controller.
Video ads must be dismissible within 30 seconds of their start time.
Parry
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jun 2017 00:33
Good News, my app built with the altered google play template was accepted for Android TV. (Its currently in alpha release) It took me a while to submit it, had to create the images explaining how to use the gamepad. I submitted it today and got the approval in a few hours.

I was concerned that the IAP used for phones would not work on Android TV but it works fine. I already bought my own game to test it out.

Google play store listing: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.direrpg.direrpgtv

To become a tester: https://play.google.com/apps/testing/com.direrpg.direrpgtv/join

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-24 04:56:47
Your offset time is: 2024-04-24 04:56:47