Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers AppGameKit Corner / AGK2 Windows c++ question

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th May 2017 02:38
So it's taken some effort, but I have C++ up and running in visual studio 2015

Unless I'm doing something wrong, we cannot use the Microsoft CLR forms and tools such as combo box, radio buttons,etc
But I suspect in using the MS CLR will limit deployments to Windows..true?

Am I doing something wrong?

Are there other binaries we can use such as GTK. For GUI development?

Are. We locked in to the VS IDE? It seems like that is all we are using...
Can we use CodeBlock's Ide?

Is The AGK2 C++ ANSI compliant? And therefore compatible with the standard compilers and code?

Sorry for all the questions...
Pete
Lucas Tiridath
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th May 2017 18:16
Quote: "Are. We locked in to the VS IDE? It seems like that is all we are using...
Can we use CodeBlock's Ide?"

You're not locked into the IDE, but you are locked into the compiler. AppGameKit for Windows only provides VC++ libs, so you need to be building your game with the VC++ compiler. There is nothing to stop you doing this from another IDE. That said, the only Windows templates provided are those for VS, so you'd have to setup your own project for a different IDE.

Quote: "Is The AGK2 C++ ANSI compliant?"

Yes, at least the API it provides is. There is no C++ ABI though and AppGameKit is closed source, so you're only able to build using the compilers (and compiler settings, and standard library implementations) that are able to link to the binaries provided.

Sorry, don't know about GUI development with AGK. I've never tried. You can link to any additional C++ libraries you like that are supported on the platforms you're targeting, but I don't know how easy it would be to get AppGameKit to play nicely with something else like a GUI library that was also trying to manipulate the window.
Phollyer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th May 2017 19:33
Thank you for your responses!
I've been playing with Code::Block compiler today...it is a nice IDE...
Should I get the AppGameKit project up and running I'll post it here

I have read up on the GUI programs...and I agree I don't think they can work for AGK..
I read that there are plans for 3rd QTR 2017 AppGameKit will be adding more 'form' type support

Pete
Lucas Tiridath
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th May 2017 13:08
Quote: "Should I get the AppGameKit project up and running I'll post it here"

Cool, thanks. Good luck getting it set up.

Quote: "I read that there are plans for 3rd QTR 2017 AppGameKit will be adding more 'form' type support"

Are you sure? On the roadmap I saw, Q3 2017 was scheduled for "AppGameKit Studio", which is like a visual editor for AppGameKit projects or something. So it might itself be a GUI, but I don't think it's adding GUI commands for us to call from our own programs.
blink0k
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th May 2017 02:04

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 09:13:37
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 09:13:37