Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / HOW do I force a FPSC game to read/recognize CD before playing

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Perfect Dark
Posted: 22nd May 2017 14:42
I was wondering if I could build a FPS Creator game and some how force it to read from a CD after an installation. I know how to make an installer, but I want to be able to pack the game somehow like using VISHNU packer, but with it having to ask you to put in a cd that you installed it from in order to play it. I am currently working on a FPSC project with very slow progress. When the project is done, I want to find a way to do this. I would probably have to use... Visual Studio. I also need to understand how I can lock a CD from copying files. So, people don't copy files to their computer.

If anyone has had any kind of experience with software that does this, please let me know! If I have to pay someone, or pay for easy-accessible/usable software, I WILL!~ And I will give credit to the software used and/or to the person that made it.

- Cloid
I am traditional artist and a indie game developer. I also socialize on Discord and Skype.
ncmako
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th May 2017 01:10
Cloid2023 Boy, that's a tough one to answer. But I do remember something in the past just like this.
For a moment I thought "ClickTeam" had software for this, but after checking I see only "installer" software.
I could swear they had something in the past. I recall BlackFox was using it. I'll do some searching.
My games never have bugs. They just develop random features..
Lots and lots of random features...
Cloid2023
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th May 2017 04:26
@ncmako
Thank you for the reply. And thank you for the info! I have used click-team's installer creator, as well as other installers long ago that I cannot remember. Please, do let me know you find something. Right now I am trying to find a way to encrypt/copy-protect a disc when putting the game's installer on it.
I am traditional artist and a indie game developer. I also socialize on Discord and Skype.
ncmako
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th May 2017 12:03
Cloid2023 This is a difficult one to find some info/software . Was thinking, just maybe, contact S4Real and ask
if he could "tweak" his VISHNU web-hosting installer and have it look for a "local" disk drive instead???
Just a thought
Cloid2023
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th May 2017 14:08
@ncmako

Okay, I will sometime, you can stop looking now. Thank you for the heads up.
ncmako
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th May 2017 10:39
No problems Cloid2023, I did find one program that's exactly what your looking for from a developer
called "Star-Force" ...http://www.star-force.com/solutions/optical-disc-protection/
No prices/cost where given though?
best luck
Kafoolwho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th May 2017 06:09
Oh dear. StarForce got dropped by many commercial game developers as a cd-based copy protection system due to the havoc it caused with some end-users' registries. Also, the process you need to go through after installing your game is a tedious process. It installs drivers for the StarForce engine, forces you to restart your computer, then you have to put in a serial key which is checked against hidden data in the cd's descriptor area.
I have several older games that use this copy protection scheme, like Prince of Persia Two Thrones and Sudeki, and these days Sudeki just refuses to start, insisting I do not have the correct disk inserted.
Hehehe. Sorry. I may be a bit biased, but StarForce is a real headache. However, if it is what you need to solve your problem, by all means, use what works for you.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-20 03:02:58
Your offset time is: 2024-04-20 03:02:58