Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / I think I've found a new home...

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th May 2017 14:34
Sooo... just wanted to say hello. I'm probably absolutely unknown here (yet) but so far released 9 games for the mobile markets. 8 done with Monkey and one with Unity (3d submarine simulation). Let me get this straight: Monkey is a fantastic cross platform dev tool but ... well don't get me wrong, it's somehow "discontinued". I don't want to dis it, it's still awesome.

I've tried out virtually everything out there, including Unity (for 2D - GAH!), Game Maker Studio (nice one, but I'm a coder) to name two. AGK2 definitely is the one to stick with. I haven't done anything using it but will let you know when I have something to show.

As I said, just wanted to say Hello for now.
CJB
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th May 2017 15:04
Welcome Xaron. Looking forward to seeing what you do with AppGameKit
MikeHart
AGK Bronze Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Again, welcome Xaron!
Running Windows 7 Home, 64 bit, 8 GB ram, Athlon II X2 255, ATI Radeon HD 4200. Using AGK2 Tier 1.
Markus
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th May 2017 16:16
hello
AGK2 is my favorite tool for 2d mobile games.

Quote: "discontinued"

http://monkey2.monkey-x.com/
AGK (Steam) V2017.05.15 : Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit : AMD (17.4.4) Radeon R7 265 : Mac mini OS Sierra (10.12.2)
Xaron
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th May 2017 16:43
Thanks guys!

@Markus: Well ya I know Monkey 2. It's nice but incomplete. And it's utterly complex, has ugly compile times and Mark said that going mobile was kind of a mistake, so...
george++
AGK Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th May 2017 16:54 Edited at: 30th May 2017 16:55
Welcome aboard!
I am a poor and old man that I use AppGameKit for psychotherapy
Markus
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th May 2017 17:04
Quote: " Mark said"

he he. myself was frustrated since blitzmax.
AGK (Steam) V2017.05.15 : Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit : AMD (17.4.4) Radeon R7 265 : Mac mini OS Sierra (10.12.2)
PSY
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st May 2017 00:51
sup Xaron, welcome ;P
PSY LABS Games
Coders don't die, they just gosub without return
GameDevGuy
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi Xaron,

Interesting hearing your steps to get here. The reference to Monkey caught my attention, as it was one of the tools I evaluated previously. Given the switching of direction and community size issues Monkey (X and 2) I am very happy that I settled on AGK2.

And I love the frequent AGK2 updates.

Since switching to the Geany based IDE (if I can call it that), AGK2 feels so solid and dependable.
MikeHart
AGK Bronze Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Xaron and I share similar experiences, only that I jumped ship earlier than him.

GameDevGuy: I can only agree.
Running Windows 7 Home, 64 bit, 8 GB ram, Athlon II X2 255, ATI Radeon HD 4200. Using AGK2 Tier 1.
Xaron
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st May 2017 07:48 Edited at: 31st May 2017 07:48
@Mike: Haha yes indeed.

@GameDevGuy: Well yes actually Monkey _is_ a nice solution and Monkey X (so the first one) is still very usable but I doubt it gets any updates anymore. For now this might be ok but when a new SDK comes out which breaks anything this will be odd.
Then there is Monkey 2. I've tested it quite heavily and I'm somehow happy with it. But, the standard IDE is just ... well it's not an IDE at all. For me it's unusable. The language itself is awesome but it's somehow like C#/C++ which raises the question why I should use it when I can do it directly in C++. I have quite a heavily C++ background, I'm doing this by profession for medical devices for 13 years now.
Monkey 2 is cross platform, but Mark did a terrible mistake by splitting the community a second(!) time, in my opinion. You can consider me to be quite a Monkey fanboy (beside the fact that everyone including me told Mark that the name itself is awful - I mean just google for it and you see what I mean), but even I had to acknowledge the fact that the "easyness" is gone. We now have a language which even introduced fancy concepts like Lambdas, something 95% of all typical programmers never will use or even know what it is.

So to make it short: I've followed AppGameKit quite for a while, the days back with v1 I think Monkey X was absolutely superior but Mark decided to do another split so here I am. I'm very fluent with Unity btw, know it in and out but I can assure you, even with the latest Unity 5.6 series and improved 2d build in functionality it's still a mess. AGK2 (and Monkey) run circles around it when it comes to productivity and quick results. I've tested a lot of other engines, and I mean A LOT. Unity (ya, the big one in the room), Monogame (nice one, comes closest to this here I'd say and uses my beloved C#), WaveEngine (Unity clone, C+ too), Godot (nice one too!), Defold (by King), GameMaker:Studio ... just to name a few.

But as I'm a programmer, I don't like editor based drag&drop solutions. So, beside Monkey there's absolutely nothing which comes close to AGK.
AjiMundi
Years of Service
User Offline
Welcome, Xaron.

It is nice to see so many opinions here which solidifies my decision to focus on AGK. BASIC was the first language I ever learned, but I always have a soft spot for C++, which is why I am torn. The main disadvantage (for me) of AGK2 is the lack of OOP feature. I made heavy use of OOP features on my previous works, and I sorely miss them when using AGK. But, as I see it, it would make an interesting challenge to return to 'the old ways of doing things.'
Plus, even though I got AppGameKit in a bundle, I already spent on DLCs, so it would be a waste not to utilize this tool. And the great thing about purchasing AppGameKit license is it's one off purchase; unlike many others.
I was going to try BlitzMax and Monkey, but apparently from what I read above, I should not bother. Thanks for saving me times, guys.
Xaron
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st May 2017 10:24
Well BlitzMax is actually continued to developed by a very, very clever guy. It's called BlitzMaxNG (Next Generation) so it's quite worth a look actually when you're going for desktop. I think they even plan to support mobiles but I don't know how far it went.
Monkey is quite worth a look as well, the big BUT is the uncertainty about its future.
CumQuaT
AGK Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st May 2017 10:55
One of us... One of us...

I'm also a Unity convert! Welcome!
I work full-time making games in AGK2 and DBpro. Living the dream!
Xaron
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st May 2017 12:54
Hehe, thanks for the nice welcome! Out of curiosity: I guess most of you use Tier 1, right? I'm going to use Tier 2 probably.
MikeHart
AGK Bronze Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Tier 1 as long as the performance in the none API related code is fine. I target desktop anyway, so it should be an easy switch if needed. Maybe it could be automated by a little transpiler magic on my side

AjiMundi
Years of Service
User Offline
Tier 1 for me. I'm too lazy to maintain different codes for different platforms even if they are 99% identical.

Quote: "Well BlitzMax is actually continued to developed by a very, very clever guy. It's called BlitzMaxNG (Next Generation) so it's quite worth a look actually when you're going for desktop. I think they even plan to support mobiles but I don't know how far it went.
Monkey is quite worth a look as well, the big BUT is the uncertainty about its future."

Nice. I'll look into it when they have that mobile support ready. For now, AGK2 seems to be the best bet.
CumQuaT
AGK Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st May 2017 15:41
All Tier 1. I use it for all of my games!
Help out a fellow dev! Download and rate my games! They're free!

Wizzed Off! - (Android) (iOS)
God of Thunder - (Android) (iOS)
Extreme Lawn Mowing - (Android) (iOS)
CJB
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st May 2017 16:46
Tier 1 has the added bonus of being able to export to HTML5
Markus
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st May 2017 16:56
Quote: "Tier 1 has the added bonus of being able to export to HTML5"

export yes, but do not expect that it work at all browsers or just one.

GameDevGuy
Years of Service
User Offline
@Xaron, while drag and drop can be nice, I know what you mean about "programming". Being able to specify everything in code can be mighty powerful. (And let you have fun creating little utilities that generate code for you, which can save stacks of time in the right circumstances.) Thanks for the Monkey summary, very interesting.

@AjiMundi, I have used OOP Pascal a fair bit before and do miss some aspects of not using Objects in AGK2, but I find the far from the cutting edge (not that OOP is anywhere near the edge) paradigm of AGK's BASIC quite fun, and with some thought and careful use of types and dynamic arrays, a lot of problems can be solved without too much (over engineered?) code.
Mobiius
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jun 2017 09:11
Quote: "but do not expect that it work at all browsers or just one."

It works on all HTML5 compliant browsers.
Signature removed by mod because it's larger than 600x120... please resize and try again.
AjiMundi
Years of Service
User Offline
@GameDevGuy: Oh, I agree that it's quite a fun challenge. And since my first programming language was BASIC and the next was non-OOP Pascal, it's not exactly strange territory. But the nifty stuff I can do with OOP was quite a blast to use.
And I'd love to see if I can port my old QBASIC creations into AGK2, but sadly all of my works from that era are long gone. If only there were today's Internet and cloud storage back then....
Markus
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jun 2017 09:04
ot
@Mobiius
Quote: "It works on all HTML5 compliant browsers."

possibly agk got updates.
i tested agk export beginning this year with firefox,ie,edge,safari,chrome.

hoyoyo80
Years of Service
User Offline
Yes...i love agk2 especially for its mobile support...currently coding a 3d badminton game but eagerly waiting for offcialy 3d shadows.
RickV
TGC Development Director
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jun 2017 15:44
Welcome Xaron! Nice to have you in the community. You can expect more updates during 2017!
Development Director
TGC Team
Xaron
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jun 2017 15:47
Thank you Rick! Looking forward to it.
Xaron
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jun 2017 08:46 Edited at: 8th Jun 2017 08:47
If you need a confirmation that Monkey is dead, it's official now: http://www.monkey-x.com/Community/posts.php?topic=12934
MikeHart
AGK Bronze Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
And there she goes.... BLUB BLUB BLUB
DavidAGK
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
So glad I chose AppGameKit! Having worked on a project for the last 2+ years in AppGameKit, knowing it's being actively developed is great.

Keep up the excellent work TGC!

And welcome xaron!
Using Tier 1 AppGameKit V2
Started coding with AMOS (Thanks Francois Lionet)
Xaron
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jun 2017 15:06
Thank you! BTW: There are quite some rants going on now on the forums (bb.com plus monkey). Oh well...
AjiMundi
Years of Service
User Offline
@Xaron: That's a quite hillarious rant! But at least there must be something good if people are so passionate about it. I do agree with the guy who scrape the site, though. I've dealt with many not-well-documented softwares in the past. User forums are critically necessary in those cases. If no official archive is forthcoming, then he did the right thing, although I think he could be less antagonistic about it. Maybe just do it and only announce it when it's done? But I digress.
Thankfully, AppGameKit is fairly well documented. And at least you can buy those DLC books if nothing else. And the online help was static, so I can mirror it easily, which I did when the offline help was behind.
Xaron
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jun 2017 07:48
Man... BlitzBasic.com community is already off. That's awful. 1 day after the announcement he killed a huge community which was still very active for more than a decade.
AjiMundi
Years of Service
User Offline
It's a sad thing to watch something you're involved in go, but the best thing to do is move on. Lingering is only adding unnecessary pain. Which reminds me back when I was playing FF VII and Aerith died. There was this hack that would enable you to have her at your party after her death, but it turned out to be a curse. At first, I was happy to have her in my party again. But it didn't take long to realize it was just an illusion. She basically don't talk anymore, and you're just running around dragging her zombie along. The second good bye was a bitter affair, and left a bad taste in my proverbial mouth for the rest of the game.

Why am I rambling about FF 7? I must be more tired than I thought. Time to call it a night. :p
DavidAGK
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
That's a shame for that community! Hopefully they head on over here where they will be welcomed by all!
Using Tier 1 AppGameKit V2
Started coding with AMOS (Thanks Francois Lionet)
Xaron
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jun 2017 14:07
Well ya, some are already here. Some "new" might come as well plus Monkey probably continues to live in another form. Some guys and I will continue to maintain it and probably rename it to AGK3 or so. Just kidding (the AGK3 part).
Xaby
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jun 2017 16:12 Edited at: 14th Jun 2017 16:13
@Xaron
From Unity? That's sounds interessting.

My way was: ... Oh, its your thread Long time ago came from QBasic -> Pascal (DOS) -> ... what's Next? ... DarkBasic, PureBasic ... what for Web? Flash, 3D Stuff, AppGameKit 1 / GameMaker Studio 1.4 ... AppGameKit 2 again. I decided, to not test anymore other languages or SDKs or editors. AppGameKit 2 is great. I am more the "making tool" guy, I think. And Unity, Unreal are to much for little projects and get later also expensive. GameMaker Studio was very slow in compiling, but I liked the language and used the drag'n'drop not so much. But than I realized, if I used PureBasic since version 3.3 or DarkBasic till know, I didn't have to go mobile, but could have great programs for windows and steam I also like the idea of OpenSource DarkBasic / FPS Creator now. I am missing a lot in AppGameKit, but other SDKs are support less, or are to expensive for some prototyping. I also like the smallness of the compiler and Outofthebox-Work. Without installing a terrabyte SDKs before something like printing "hello" will work

So nice to here, that I am not the only one, liking AppGameKit and testing a lot before. Sometimes thinging about LUA in Unreal Engine or native C++/C#? Why not that? (But I still use PureBasic for some Tools for myself)

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-30 03:20:55
Your offset time is: 2024-09-30 03:20:55