Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / Anyone using AGK2 to participate in the One Hour Game Jam today... 1 hour from now?

Author
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jun 2017 19:58
Hey, I was thinking I might participate in the One Hour Game Jam this afternoon.

Just curious if anyone else here is planning to?

TI/994a (BASIC) -> C64 (BASIC/PASCAL/ASM/Others) -> Amiga (AMOS/BLITZ/ASM/C/Gamesmith) -> DOS (C/C++/Allegro) -> Windows (C++/C#/Monkey X/GL Basic/Unity/Others)
GarBenjamin
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jun 2017 06:45 Edited at: 19th Jun 2017 06:48
Just wanted to follow up on this and say I actually started out participating in this jam and at the 25 minute map stopped. Reason being I was away from AGK2 for several months, when I returned I dived into the 3D. The theme was the floor is lava which I thought was ideal for a 2D platformer game.

However I soon realized I was not prepared. So I am now working on a jam framework to provide some basic functionality. Things like super fast level creation and some skeleton code. Basically just some stuff so it is more of a level playing field with the folks using Unity and similar game engines. 1 hour is just not much time and so one can't be writing even ultra basic level editors or studying code to use existing tile map loaders etc. Including the one I made end of last year. lol Need these things done and super simple to use.

So for level editing I created an image to map array system. That will make level design very fast. I made the same kind of thing for Unity when I was working on a 3D game a few weeks or so ago.

I'll dabble on the framework here and there and when I have a decent jam framework ready I will participate again and see what other weaknesses are revealed at that time. Update the framework accordingly and then release it here.

It will be slow going because I am dabbling on different projects... a 3D space invaders, experimenting with shaders and doing this jam framework.
TI/994a (BASIC) -> C64 (BASIC/PASCAL/ASM/Others) -> Amiga (AMOS/BLITZ/ASM/C/Gamesmith) -> DOS (C/C++/Allegro) -> Windows (C++/C#/Monkey X/GL Basic/Unity/Others)
Richard_6
Years of Service
User Offline
Sounds exciting! Please post your progress, GarBenjamin!
GarBenjamin
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jun 2017 17:42 Edited at: 21st Jun 2017 17:43
@Richard_6 thanks and I will. Only work on it a bit here and there but it has been fun.

I am thinking I will drop the shader project because @janbo is working on a shader pack for AGK2. So as fun as that has been to get into seems like wasted duplicate effort and @janbo is way more advanced on shaders and AGK2 than I am. Makes sense to just wait for that release.

Anyway that will speed things up. I will post my shader experiments tonight ot tomorrow that may help someone ease into that stuff. Then will focus only only on the jam template and my 3D game project. Again only a bit here and there but still 2 projects instead of 3 will make progress faster.
tmu
Years of Service
User Offline
Actually, your 2D jam template sounds to be very useful generally, not just for jamming...

I think the community (or me at least) would benefit from it. Maybe more could contribute if it would be generally useful.
GarBenjamin
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jul 2017 16:56 Edited at: 5th Jul 2017 17:43
My next couple of dev sessions I will wrap up my initial exploration of shaders and post some simple examples over in my other thread on simple shader examples.

After that I will be back to this project of making a game jam template or perhaps multiple templates. I might be able to release something this weekend.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-28 16:45:35
Your offset time is: 2024-03-28 16:45:35