Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DarkBASIC Professional Discussion / FPSC guys need your help.

Author
FPSC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jun 2017 23:41
Hello guys.

I have a favor to ask the DB pro community.We are making a small community game in fpsc classic. We were hoping to compile each level into a separate exe. file. Then have a "SHELL" program that could open each level "exe file" in concession. IS this possible? Can anyone help? We tried with scripting but could not get it to work.

Thanks for reading this.

joe
gamer, lover, filmmaker
Chris Tate
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jun 2017 12:55
Are you making a multiplayer, multilevel game? Which would explain why you would need more than one executable... Or most likely you have something else in mind.

So if you want to work with DBP; the EXECUTE EXECUTABLE(Filename, Commandline, Directory, [Priority]) command will run an EXE, passing on a commandline, and working directory ( and priorty if required). It will then return the executable ID .

The executable ID can the be used to check if the application is running using =EXECUTABLE RUNNING(Executable ID). You can also stop the executable using STOP EXECUTABLE Executable ID.

If you use the Matrix utilities and BBB GUI you can also manipulate the windows of the running levels if required.

(The complicated option is to download the FPSC source code and get it to work with multiple levels in one EXE.)

seppgirty
FPSC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jun 2017 00:09
Hmmm, i'll try to explain better. We are making a single player off line game. There are 3 of us making levels. we would compile these different levels into .exe files. Then i was hoping to have a program with a user interface that could load the first exe. file for the player to play. when that level is complete it would launch the second exe. for the player to play... and so on. None of us here are programmers(that's why we use fpsc ) Here is an example of a program written by s4real. https://forum.game-guru.com/thread/209790 The only problem with this program is that the player can choose the levels and we don't want that. There is a long and painful way we could do it with fpsc but are hoping to avoid it.

Again, none of us are programmers. That is why i am asking for help.

Thanks for replying Chris.
gamer, lover, filmmaker
WickedX
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jun 2017 04:03
seppgirty, This sound like it would be easy to do in DBPro. E-Mail or PM me with the details in functionality and supply media and I'll see what I can come up with.
Chris Tate
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jun 2017 09:15
There you go
seppgirty
FPSC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jun 2017 23:45
Wow, thanks for looking at this for us WickedX. I'll talk to my partner ncmako about this. I'll e-mail some info shortly. Make up a couple of tiny levels to work with. Should i keep this thread active for questions and answers? Or do you want to do just e-mails?

Also, thank you Chris for looking at this. I know you are busy with sports fiction.
gamer, lover, filmmaker
seppgirty
FPSC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jun 2017 02:51
@ wicked x
I sent you an e-mail with a link to 3 small levels to try with.
gamer, lover, filmmaker
WickedX
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jun 2017 03:25
E=Mails received, downloading now. Thanks, you read my mind. I was hoping you would supply some test levels. My system with FPSC on it, is not the one I frequently use. Please! Do keep this thread open. Well, download completed. I will have to take a look.
WickedX
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jun 2017 04:01
Those are some Wicked levels.
seppgirty
FPSC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jul 2017 00:18
I thought you would like that.
gamer, lover, filmmaker
WickedX
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jul 2017 00:35
For some strange reason the levels are locking up in the win-zone. Not getting to level complete. I will be heading over to were my system with FPSC is for the weekend so, not an issue. Would you prefer just one slot or multiple slots for the player/players to return to.
seppgirty
FPSC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jul 2017 03:37
Quote: "For some strange reason the levels are locking up in the win-zone. Not getting to level complete."

Ahhh classic is full of wonderful mysteries like that.

Quote: "Would you prefer just one slot or multiple slots for the player/players to return "

I want to say multiple save slots if it's not to much of a pain.
gamer, lover, filmmaker
smerf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jul 2017 07:16
you guys get it working? I do a lot of external program launching batch files cmd lines ect from dbpro.
A child's dream never dies.

seppgirty
FPSC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jul 2017 18:15
Quote: "you guys get it working? I do a lot of external program launching batch files cmd lines ect from dbpro. "

Not sure what Wicked x has done yet. He was going to look at it over the weekend. Please stay current with this post though. You never know when your help is needed.
gamer, lover, filmmaker
WickedX
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jul 2017 23:47
Sorry, Had to work Saturdays. After that had a load to do at hame. At about 7:00PM fired up the computer. I haven't turned this thing on in over two months and haven't run FPSC in over two years. Took the rest of the night working the glitches out.

I have been giving it some thought. Without a way to flag DBPro whether the player exited or won the level, I don't think it can be done. Some mods allow you to save info to a file. If you are using one of these mods then we have something to work with.
seppgirty
FPSC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jul 2017 00:47
Quote: "Sorry, Had to work Saturdays. After that had a load to do at hame. At about 7:00PM fired up the computer. I haven't turned this thing on in over two months and haven't run FPSC in over two years. Took the rest of the night working the glitches out.
"

I understand.

Quote: " I have been giving it some thought. Without a way to flag DBPro whether the player exited or won the level, I don't think it can be done. Some mods allow you to save info to a file. If you are using one of these mods then we have something to work with.
"

Using blackice mod.
gamer, lover, filmmaker
Chris Tate
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jul 2017 14:00
Well if you struggle to get things to work with the mods; let us know and I'll look into the FPSC source code for any ideas of what can be done.
seppgirty
FPSC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jul 2017 20:29 Edited at: 4th Jul 2017 20:55
@ Chris Tate and Wicked x, Smerf

I just left a message for nomad soul and s4real(creators of black ice mod) on the black ice thread asking if BI mod can save info to a file. Please hang on guys while i wait for him to post back.

Thanks guys
gamer, lover, filmmaker
Bored of the Rings
User Banned
Posted: 8th Jul 2017 18:31
you could probably use LUA scripting to get/set specific variable values and/or send/receive messages and then load specific .EXE's on order depending on criteria that's met.

Professional Programmer, languages: SAS, C++, SQL, PL-SQL, DBPro, Purebasic, JavaScript, others
seppgirty
FPSC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jul 2017 18:47
Quote: "you could probably use LUA scripting to get/set specific variable values and/or send/receive messages and then load specific .EXE's on order depending on criteria that's met.
"

Sounds like a good idea but none of us know lua. that's why we don't use game guru. (among other reasons)
gamer, lover, filmmaker
seppgirty
FPSC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jul 2017 21:33
O.K. guys, this is what ncmako has to say about saving a variable to the set up ini. file

Quote: " Using variables we can write to the "setup.ini" a variable line.
makesvar=name of var 2 (number of var. value) line to write to setup.ini
"savesvars"
example
:state=9: makesvar=levelcompleted 1 Level,state=10
:state=10:savesvars
So in the "setup.ini" it writes a line "Level=1" works perfectly
If you can ask the guys if a program can check the "setup.ini" for a Level completed line
then this will work !!!"

Also, if you need to install fpsc with black ice mod, here is the link.
http://www.blackicemod.org/

Thanks for reading this guys.
gamer, lover, filmmaker
WickedX
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jul 2017 01:28
I just started a new job this month and it has been busy! Reading a value from an Ini file will be no problem. I will need to know what section in the Ini file the value is written under. Also, do you want the launcher to run full-screen or in a window.

I Previously installed FPS Creator with Black Ice Mod on my main system for the first time. I don't remember FPS Creator being this unstable.

I will get to work on this and get an alpha release for you to test.
seppgirty
FPSC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jul 2017 14:15
Quote: "I just started a new job this month and it has been busy!"

Hope it's a good one.

Quote: " I will need to know what section in the Ini file the value is written under. Also, do you want the launcher to run full-screen or in a window.
"

I will ask ncmako these questions and get back to you as soon as i can.

Again, many thanks for doing this.
gamer, lover, filmmaker
WickedX
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jul 2017 16:46 Edited at: 23rd Jul 2017 16:57
Well, I have sorted my instability issue. I forgot on this system I need to press the left mousepad button. Just tapping the mousepad causes issues with some apps. In the snippet i have modified the WinZone activation script (plrinzone.fpi) in the levels you provided. Since this script may be used elsewhere you probably want to use a custom script for the WinZone (plrinwinzone.fpi). For the Ini file I use the key - status. The way FPS Creator writes to an Ini file, using level is replacing the key - levelmax, as it is the first occurrence of the word - level.

I have all I need to make this happen, now.

seppgirty
FPSC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jul 2017 18:39
Glad you got fpsc working. Seems you got things figured out a bit. Can't wait to see the 1st draft.
gamer, lover, filmmaker
ncmako
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jul 2017 03:57
@ WickedX Yes, that's how I've been doing it. I setup up in my setup.ini a variable call "levelcomplete=x"

To keep track of it in my "titlepage" I had to set this line..

And for the "winzone" I've been using..

Using the variable "nxlevel" which checks the "levelcompleted" in the setup.ini I'm was able to make a working
menu that only allows a chapter to play if the previous is finished. That's if I build all levels myself.
But we each want to build our own chapter (or game build) if a program as such could check each builds "setup.ini"
separately for this variable that would be great. If it's not possible then I/we can always try and build all 5 of our levels
into one game build.
Thank you for helping us on this matter...
My games never have bugs. They just develop random features..
Lots and lots of random features...
WickedX
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jul 2017 02:22
What you suggest is doable. But, I wonder what else can be done by linking FPSC and DBPro through setup.ini. For example: having the interface send the player back to specific checkpoints.

If you can custom script out the FPSC menus and create it so the player will exit back to the DBPro interface when they either quit the level or win. I could build you a total GUI. I confess, I am not a graphics artist or a musician. So, will need help with media.
ncmako
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jul 2017 20:54
WickedX
Quote: "having the interface send the player back to specific checkpoints"

Yes, doing that already. I use "check points" together with a trigger to "auto save" the game.
The check point is for in-case player dies during play. But the auto-save is for when you close
& "re-open" later. I can have the interface "Auto-open" the saved games. Kinda works...

Quote: " create it so the player will exit back to the DBPro interface "

Very easy, with a trigger or winzone.... just used the command "quitgame" that shuts the whole game down.
If DPPro is still open (in the background) then that screen is there.
Another script I use to jump from level to level (not layer to layer) is the simple "nextlevel" command.
In a winzone , trigger or whatever use..
When that triggers the game is won, and auto loads nextlevel.

WickedX
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Aug 2017 00:51 Edited at: 2nd Aug 2017 01:02
Here is the first draft with them 3 wicked levels seppgirty uploaded. Sorry, for the delay. As of late everyone has been consuming a lot of my time. Actually, didn't take to long programming.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B8EYTN5wLyUmSkRpQklPbmxrTmc
seppgirty
FPSC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Aug 2017 23:43
Quote: " Sorry, for the delay. As of late everyone has been consuming a lot of my time."

I hear you man. We all have day jobs and family.

Going to give this a try. Thanks.
gamer, lover, filmmaker
seppgirty
FPSC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Aug 2017 00:12
O.k., it took me a minute to figure it out. With the right loading screens it should be easier to navigate. It seems to work well. Loaded the different levels. The game saves worked. This is looking like the perfect thing for us. Ncmako will need to look at this so he can give you a more educated review.

Thank you for this wicked x. It will really help us out.

p.s.

I'm glad you like my wicked levels. They are wicked cool.
gamer, lover, filmmaker
ncmako
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Aug 2017 03:18 Edited at: 4th Aug 2017 03:41
@ WickedX Yahoo, trying it out now. Awesome for doing this, thank you..

Works perfectly. Yes, figured it out quickly. After a level is complete, hit save game, then load game (next game) then click play game.
Works great! * Can we reset somehow to start over with level-1? ( existing the whole game seems to reset everything)
* And can it display somehow display which level your done with or about to load ???
WickedX
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Aug 2017 03:25
I think we have, proof of concept. I have been following Madcow02's thread on the FPSC Classic Product Chat board. I can't believe how it has taken off. I think this is great idea and kicking myself in the butt for not thinking of it.

Happy to help.
seppgirty
FPSC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Aug 2017 17:26
There's still life in DB Pro and FPSC classic. I hope they don't get rid of us yet.

Also a big thanks to s4real and nomad soul for continuing to add all of these great and useful commands.
gamer, lover, filmmaker
Chris Tate
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Aug 2017 18:08
I look forward to seeing the result
WickedX
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Aug 2017 02:13
The launcher was designed as a simple demo for POC. The launcher will initialize with the first level. If you have saved a previous game, you can load it and then press Play Game. It is not necessary to save then load the game between levels. After completing a level just press Play Game and you will advance to the next level. Within reason, I can make it function however you guys require.
seppgirty
FPSC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Aug 2017 21:29
Quote: "I look forward to seeing the result"

looking forward to sports fiction.

Quote: " Within reason, I can make it function however you guys require."

That's awesome. This will really help us and anyone else that wants to make a game with a team.
gamer, lover, filmmaker
seppgirty
FPSC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Aug 2017 20:39
We are all still working on our levels so haven't had much time to post here. Thinking of features so...

Ability to play a video or splash screen with sound on start up.
A credits menu.
A way to encrypt and protect the media.

I assume that you are making a stand alone program with a UI that we can just add our exe. files to.

Just keeping this post alive with my scattered thoughts.
gamer, lover, filmmaker
WickedX
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Aug 2017 05:01
We are all still working on our levels so haven't had much time to post here.
I understand. Whenever you guys are ready.

Ability to play a video or splash screen with sound on start up.
Sure, why not?

A credits menu.
Any functioning menu items you guys want.

A way to encrypt and protect the media.
This will require a plug-in or coding it in Dark GDK. We can do this..

I assume that you are making a stand alone program with a UI that we can just add our exe. files to.
I have considered you may want that functionality. Thought about designing the demo so you could add your own levels. Wasn't sure if it would be confusing or not for a first draft.
seppgirty
FPSC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Aug 2017 13:51
if you wouldn't mind making a simple prototype, that would be great. don't worry about fancy grphics and buttons for now. we just need to figure out where to start with this program and figure out features as we go.

thanks
joe
gamer, lover, filmmaker
WickedX
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Aug 2017 03:34
I don't know about simple. I have started working on something, I think you'll like. Thought I would add variations on a couple old demo of mine to give the project some effects. I think my modular programming style is adequate. Anything you guys may want to add, subtract or alter, will not be a problem. I have the splash screen with effects almost complete. Just need to find a fitting sound loop. I will start posting progress as the project proceeds.
seppgirty
FPSC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Aug 2017 13:19
Very cool Wicked. Looking forward to this.
gamer, lover, filmmaker
WickedX
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Aug 2017 23:46 Edited at: 20th Aug 2017 23:49
Here is a static screen-shot of what I have for the splash screen, for now. Download and extract the zip file to see it in action.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
seppgirty
FPSC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Aug 2017 23:26
That's pretty cool. Are the balls using real time physics to bounce?
gamer, lover, filmmaker
WickedX
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Aug 2017 02:35 Edited at: 22nd Aug 2017 03:04
I'm just using a basic y-axis bounce algorithm. If you can call that real time physics. I should port this over to C++ with Dark GDK before I go further. This would greatly boost performance and make the tasks DarkBasic can't handle or can't handle well, easier to achive.
seppgirty
FPSC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Aug 2017 13:44
Dark gdk sounds like a good idea.
gamer, lover, filmmaker
seppgirty
FPSC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Sep 2017 15:58
Just keeping this thread active so it doesn't lock.
gamer, lover, filmmaker
xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FPSC Multiplayer Games
Posted: 24th Sep 2017 18:43
@seppgirty

I've been talking to ncmako about this (sent you a PM?) and I think I have what you need - Just need to finish up the "check for level complete" code. I'll post a pic and if you're interested, feedback and changes/wishes to me.

Brian.
Characters. You build them a world and what do they do? They moonwalk, get stuck in the walls and fall through the floors!

Attachments

Login to view attachments

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 01:38:50
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 01:38:50