Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / [SOLVED] Why not any course in UDEMY?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jul 2017 18:14 Edited at: 12th Jul 2017 18:15
This post has been marked by the post author as the answer.
Hi, i like very much Udemy courses etc, i dont understand why not exist one course about Appgamekit or else GameGuru?

https://www.udemy.com/topic/game-development/?p=2

The author of this post has marked a post as an answer.

Go to answer

GarBenjamin
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jul 2017 18:59
That is an awesome idea and I've thought the same. Be fun to make a little course in time. And is awesome marketing for the product too. Get a course on Udemy and that gives some more "rep" to the product. Plus helps people.

I guess everyone is just too busy working on their games or making the products.
TI/994a (BASIC) -> C64 (BASIC/PASCAL/ASM/Others) -> Amiga (AMOS/BLITZ/ASM/C/Gamesmith) -> DOS (C/C++/Allegro) -> Windows (C++/C#/Monkey X/GL Basic/Unity/Others)
Humildadever
Years of Service
User Offline
I think is a question of marketing look for the unity so many courses...
Humildadever
Years of Service
User Offline
I think that the games creators must put the videos for beginner in udemy if needed in free mode! With this increase the number of people that want lear more about...
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jul 2017 16:04
I'm not sure that AppGameKit has the tools required yet - I mean there would have to be some more standardisation, because there are many ways to skin a cat with AppGameKit, and that makes it difficult to define standard practices.

Courses based on standard 2D level design software, or world editors would be a real boost, but the software needs to be in place and fully capable of producing results. It's far easier to specify the processes in Unity, because features are standardised - but with AppGameKit the user might not even know if the game should be 2D or 3D, and enforcing either option is not a good idea unless there are good tools to support the learning material.
The code is dark and full of errors
Xaby
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jul 2017 18:03
I thought about making a course, but where to begin with. There are the free ones on YouTube. And the next thing is, who would buy it?

- Unreal
- Unity
- GameMaker

Are the competitors. What could the title be? -> "Make a real cool game in 30 min. with AGK"

And than you could use the Simple-Game-Themes. And use some Open Assets. The next question is the price. The price of AppGameKit and the 3D Objects or Assets, and other Tools needed.

-> GameMaker has build in 2D Sprite-Editor, and there is a Trial version. And you don't have to code, you can code, but you don't have to. And you see fast results.
-> Unity is also free in the first place, and you could describe the Editor and how to import FBX and so on.
-> Unreal Engine, also free, complex editor and with some clicks you can play your own "game-like-thingly"

The benefits of AGK2 are not seen in the first place by no-programmers, I think. The next problems could be the missing of popular known games made with it.
So some people would maybe rather use JAVA, because of Minecraft, or something wie LUA in it.

For most people the imagination of X, Y or X, Y and Z in the brain could be a problem, before you see it on screen. Without something visual in the first place, you have to imagine, what you are doing.
That is kind abstruct. And maybe not so spectacular.

The same problem PureBasic had. So are there PureBasic tutorials at Udemy?

GarBenjamin
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2017 19:53 Edited at: 14th Jul 2017 20:11
I think there is always a market for quality training material. There have been several posts here in just the past few weeks asking questions that could have been covered in a training series.

A lot of people do seem to believe that things like Gamemaker and Unity make dev much easier and indeed a lot of complete beginners have made games with those products. But it is puzzling to me and maybe this is due to my background but I find working in AGK2 much simpler and more productive than working in Unity.

Ultimately in all of these things a person needs to do some programming. Whether they want to call it scripting or programming makes little difference. And IMO it is at that point where products like Unity kind of break down and AGK2 has the advantage.

What I mean by that is the complexity scales up there where it does not here. Reason being AGK2 has a fantastic api. Filled with all kinds of useful commands and functions. And probably even more important it is not OOP meaning this is basically a "flat" library for lack of a better term as well as not using a component-based architecture or at least not being presented to us that way. There aren't layers and layers of dependencies to deal with such as GameObjects and then transforms and then rendererers and colliders and scripts and so forth.

Here everything is always available immediately with no busy work and time wasted just getting references or communicating or doing a .thisComponent.thiscomponent.Finally this property and so forth.

Personally I like Unity ok and have done a lot of work in it but IMO it just cannot compare to AGK2 for efficiency in game dev speed.

Tonight I'll probably start on creating a little 3D world and I expect it will all be incredibly straightforward and fast to build with AGK2.

So I think maybe a training series that focused on these differences would be very helpful to people as well as great marketing.
TI/994a (BASIC) -> C64 (BASIC/PASCAL/ASM/Others) -> Amiga (AMOS/BLITZ/ASM/C/Gamesmith) -> DOS (C/C++/Allegro) -> Windows (C++/C#/Monkey X/GL Basic/Unity/Others)

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-30 05:22:13
Your offset time is: 2024-09-30 05:22:13