Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers AppGameKit Corner / Best prog for making sprites for agk?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hey guys. Just curious what programs you are making for spriting. I impulsively bought a sprite program on steam later learned it doesnt really work with agk. The only thing I have been able to do is export the spritesheets. Just wondering if there is a program that has a little more of a dynamic relationship with agk.

I would also really like to experiment with making the sprite skeleton using agk, and just keep seperate png's for arms, legs, etc (that way players could change hats and clothes and weapons), but dont even know where to start. Does anyone maybe know of a good tutorial for this?

My issue with the spritesheet is not being able to customize your sprite without making a hundred atlas sprites for each possible variety.

As always, thanks for your time and feedback!
Supertino
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jul 2017 13:28 Edited at: 18th Jul 2017 13:33
I swear by http://pyxeledit.com/ it around $10 but worth every penny - used it to make all my sprites. Although doesnt have any AppGameKit specific features.
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jul 2017 13:47
Spriter Pro is good. I got it in a Humble Bundle, it may come around again some time.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur
TutCity is being rebuilt
smallg
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jul 2017 16:03
i use spriter pro but i believe spine is the best "supported" in agk?
life\'s one big game
spec= 2.6ghz, 1gb ram, 512mb gpu, directx 9.0c, dbpro and classic
Coilwinder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jul 2017 19:45
Another suggestion is Piskel It's free, and they have both an online and offline version.
Apologies for any typos and strange grammar.
Vladimuffin
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks for the feedback, guys. I have Spriter Pro but it doesn't seem ideal for making 16bit sheets, and I'm not very savvy with it yet =). I will check out some of the other apps you guys have recommended. The biggest hurdle for me is being red-green colorblind, I need something that I can have my kids make a swatch for me =) I'll look into em
Cybermind
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jul 2017 08:59
I use Pro Motion by Cosmigo
13/0
JLMoondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jul 2017 18:09
I use a combo of Truespace 7, Spine and Paintshop Pro 8. AGKII has commands for using animated Spine characters, works and looks really good in my opinion. I than use either PS or TS to create my character limbs.
Vladimuffin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jul 2017 18:36 Edited at: 19th Jul 2017 22:56
I will look into Spine. I found a marvelous gem on steam called Aseprite, great for pixel art. I have previously been using Gimp to design and Pro Spriter. These work good, but I just didn't feel they were a good fit for my purposes.
GarBenjamin
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jul 2017 06:30
Paint Shop Pro 8 and Pyxel Edit. Hey @JLMoondog good to see someone else is still using PSP!! Most people when I mention the name don't have a clue what it is these days. lol
TI/994a (BASIC) -> C64 (BASIC/PASCAL/ASM/Others) -> Amiga (AMOS/BLITZ/ASM/C/Gamesmith) -> DOS (C/C++/Allegro) -> Windows (C++/C#/Monkey X/GL Basic/Unity/Others)
AK
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jul 2017 10:21
Hey hey, PSP spriter here as well (ye olde shareware version). I also use Flash and its "snap to grid" feature for pixel art just because I'm so used to drawing and animating in it, though I wouldn't recommend it for spriting unless you're really "at home" in Flash already.
Vladimuffin
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks for all the feedback, Guys. Now I have a bunch of homework to do researching each of these options and their functionality. Aseprite is super simple and easy to use, but its only a matter of time before I'll be ready to take the leap from pixel art.
One smart fellow, he felt smart. Two smart fellows, both felt smart. Three smart fellows all felt smart...
Vladimuffin
Years of Service
User Offline
I watched some videos on Pyxel Edit, looks really neat. I will definitely be adding it to my selection! Thanks for the recommendation.
One smart fellow, he felt smart. Two smart fellows, both felt smart. Three smart fellows all felt smart...

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-24 22:34:45
Your offset time is: 2024-04-24 22:34:45