Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers AppGameKit Corner / GameMaker Studio 1.4 converting to AGK 2

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jul 2017 06:25
Hi All,

After Yoyo Games brought ought out GameMaker Studio 2, I knew it was the beginning of the end for Studio 1.4.

After looking around, I decided to go with AGK.

I am not a programmer by trade, I do this as an enthusiast and to have some fun. But I just wanted to clarify a few this before continuing my journey.

GMS in 3d had x and y as the floor and z being the height value. Is it the same in AppGameKit?
Can you draw models with vertices in the programming? Or does this have to be done via Blender, Clara etc?
What is the simplest 3d model creator to use?

Thank you in advance for your responses.

Nick

BraindeaD
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi Nickkall, welcome to AGK

the axis in AppGameKit for 3d are X for horizontal axis, Y for height and Z for Depth...
I'm not sure if you can create the models in runtime using vertices (I think that you can, but not sure), you can instance basic shape models (boxes, spheres, cones, planes and so) using CreateObjectBox, CreateObjectplane, etc... and use it in the game, mainly as placeholders.
But surelly, you will need use some 3d editing program to get best results (blender, milkshape, etc)

Best regards
Golelorn
Years of Service
User Offline
Blender, for sure. Lots of resources via youtube and The Google to learn from.

Its not easy to learn, because there is so much to it. Its downright frustrating for the first 2 months. But, keep at it. If I learned to use it, then I'm pretty sure anyone can.
Nickkall
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jul 2017 00:47
Thanks guys.

I started with blender. As you guys say it is very overwhelming. Then i found a program called wings3d. Very basic but i got some models done and exported them successfully. After spending time on it over the weekend, some things that confused me in blender are starting to make sense. Mainly regarding texture rendering and materials.

Now i just need to work out how to make a height map. Back to google i go....

Thanks again guys.

Nick

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 00:32:52
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 00:32:52