Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Work In Progress / Resident Evil Unlimited (FPSC V 1.19)

Author
Years of Service
User Offline

Hello everyone. I have not contributed anything to the forum. So I decided to post you a fan game that I did inspired by Resident Evil (1996). It's pretty much the same game, but with some minor modifications I did.
Follow the trailer link for my game. =).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=miUdSViMvGc

The game is in Brazilian Portuguese

Sorry for my bad English.

Leopmota
Years of Service
User Offline
Anybody?
Mriganka
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Aug 2017 17:52
Screenshots please.
xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FPSC Multiplayer Games
Posted: 23rd Aug 2017 19:38
Hello Leopmota, and since this is your first post... Welcome to the forum and wonderfully frustrating world of game creation.
Quote: "So I decided to post you a fan game"

I must have missed the game link? I only see a link to a video.
We would much rather see images or gameplay. A "Trailer" is something you make when your game is done and ready for release.
Characters. You build them a world and what do they do? They moonwalk, get stuck in the walls and fall through the floors!
Leopmota
Years of Service
User Offline
Here some screenshots:

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Leopmota
Years of Service
User Offline
Hello Xplosys. Thank you Very much.

Yes. My game is almost done. Some adjustments are missing. I wanted to rescue Resident Evil a bit and mix it up with FPS Creator. I really liked the result.
Madcow02
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2017 13:32 Edited at: 24th Aug 2017 13:35
Quote: " I really liked the result."

You shouldn't, your maps look very blocky and bland, you are using assets that does not blend very well each other. Also there are no lightmapping, at all and thus no atmosphere. I guess there are no gameplay neither. ( Hint : check this out, it's the Model Pack 54, it will allow you to add puzzles to your game)

Even as a beginner, you should put much more effort into the game you're producing. I have the feeling you're rushing its development just to release it somewhere on the Internet to impress people who don't know anything about the engine.
xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2017 14:48
I have to agree with Madcow02. (Is there a Madcow01?)
Go here and check out the pics, the videos, and especially the "Trapped" video on the bottom of the page. It shows what FPSC is capable of in the horror genre.

In the trapped video, notice how the use of lighting creates a frightening atmosphere and even makes the rooms look less block-y. The small, scantily lit rooms and spaces lend a claustrophobic feel to the game, keeping the player on edge. Imagine a strange creature coming from a dark corner in one of these tight spaces versus seeing one coming from across one of your large, well lit rooms. See how the use of lighting and items in the rooms not only makes them more believable and authentic, but causes the player to explore them, and wonder what might be around the next turn. Which game would you be more likely to play?

Don't sell yourself or FPSC short, it is capable of so much more. There is much to be done before you're almost done and you make the promo/trailer.

Brian.
Characters. You build them a world and what do they do? They moonwalk, get stuck in the walls and fall through the floors!
Madcow02
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2017 15:57 Edited at: 24th Aug 2017 15:59
Well there's a "Madcow", which is my original nickname, but since I've forgot BOTH mail and password, I had to create another account !
BTW, Trapped is a work of mine, it was supposed to be a survival horror game set in middle-ages
xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2017 16:45
Quote: "Trapped is a work of mine"

Well, that explains a lot.
I've started to rework an old concept of mine called "Below" and may pick your brain sometime if I may, but I have much to do first. Love your work!
Brian.
Flatlander
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2017 17:22 Edited at: 24th Aug 2017 18:28
xplosys wrote: "I've started to rework an old concept of mine called "Below""

I remember a game of yours you were working on. I don't know if it was "Below" or not but I really liked it at that time. We both were kind of novices and as far as light-mapping went you were hand over feet better than I at that time; probably still are much better. The one thing I remember was the "pitcrawler." That was one of those scare moments. BTW, "pitcrawler" will only fart at you when you get close. :LOL: In other words he's backwards. It seems there is a way to correct for that and I tried to get the person who created it to do something about because it is such a good creature. It's in the mesh and people using GG who have been moving npc's from FPSC said something about using fragmotion to fix it. I have no clue how to do it. Anyway if what I remember is "Below" I would go for it.

MadCow wrote: "BTW, Trapped is a work of mine, it was supposed to be"

I do remember you as MadCow. I was wondering if MadCow2 and MadCow were one and the same. :GRIN:

You said, "it was supposed to be?" "Was" is a keyword here. Do you plan on continuing with it. It sounds and looks like it would be a great game.

BTW, Leapmota, as xplosys (Brian) said, "Don't sell yourself short." When I first started I had a terrible time with lightmapping. I know, it's hard being a single developer but don't be one of those developers who rush a game and put it up for sale on "Steam" but then get slammed by a critic that loves to slam FPSC. This is not fair to FPSC's capabilities.

Go here for a couple more of Madcow's videos (Damage and Sleepers and a puzzle map demo. Max,the first day that MP #54 was available, I snatched it up. I had to pay for it but, Leopmota, you can get it for free and in fact you can probably get more than 90% of the model packs free. Also, I don't know if you are using Black Ice Mod but you should if you're not.
When in doubt -- C4 hee-hee-hee
-Jamie Hyneman
Madcow02
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2017 18:07 Edited at: 24th Aug 2017 18:10
Maybe one day, I will continue that project, but not now.
Regarding Black Ice Mod, I think that it wouldn't be very useful to a beginner ( save for the various performance boosts it can provide) . The only way is to try hard
xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2017 18:13 Edited at: 24th Aug 2017 18:15
Leopmota,
Here you will find the repository with all the free model packs and official updates.
Here you will find Black Ice Mod which as Flatlander said, I highly recommend, if only for the better build process, bug fixes, and speed. The graphics improvements are a bonus which you can master as you learn.
Rome (FPSC Version 2.0) was not built in a day. Take your time and always have fun.

Yes, "Below" used the pitcrawler, which if I remember correctly was from the fantasticly talented rolfy. Next time I bring her out I'll check and see but I think I had her fixed (no pun intended). I let you know. I also used some attacking piranhas which were pretty fun and cool if I do say so myself.
Flatlander
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2017 18:24 Edited at: 24th Aug 2017 18:31
Madcow2 wrote: "Regarding Black Ice Mod, I think that it wouldn't be very useful to a beginner"

I can agree to disagree.

It wouldn't hurt. When I wanted to use RPG Mod, all of the cool graphics, shaders and lightmapping stuff were not available. Not to speak of the fact that Black Ice Mod broke the 2 GB memory cap which must now be at 4GB because my level is now a tad bit over 3 GB. But, when I loaded up the "TASDIM" level it was so flat and disappointing that I went back to GG. However, GG is a long way off from accomplishing it's goals; which are too many. So, I took a deep breath and decided to come back to FPSC and try Black Ice Mod. Oh my, what a difference it made to my level without lifting a finger and I'm really glad to using FPI because I'm more proficient using that rather than lua. Remember, this is v10.5 I'm using. So, just out of the box I think it will be an improvement, although his ambience is probably too high to begin with and maybe add a little ambience color.

Xplosys, yes, I do remember the piranhas now that you've mentioned them. That was a scary time as well.
-Jamie Hyneman
Leopmota
Years of Service
User Offline
Madcow02, You are mistaken. I do not know much about FPS Creator. I was pretty excited about the engine that made the game. The point is not to impress people, but to impress myself. And about the Black Ice mod, I had heard of it, but I did not stop to study it. Thank you Xplosys for telling me. I will follow your advice. I will improve my game more. I will end the claustrophobic environment and put an air of greater mystery in it.

Thanks Xplosys for the links. I will evaluate them and study them better.
Leopmota
Years of Service
User Offline
Flatlander, Thanks for your advice. I will follow it and study FPS Creator better. Thank you for your comment.
xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2017 21:53
You have a great attitude. I look forward to seeing your future work.
Flatlander
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2017 23:24
Ditto to xplosys
-Jamie Hyneman
Leopmota
Years of Service
User Offline
Hey Xplosys or Flatlander,I have a curiosity. Is there any mod for FPS Creator that leaves you with the graphics similar to Reloaded (Gameguru)? I really liked the graphics, however the Reloaded does not have the ease of use like the FPSC Classic. It is more for creating game in the open. And it also does not have a vast library of packs like the classic.

Thank You!
Flatlander
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Aug 2017 19:33
Leopmota, I have dealt with Game Guru for the last several months -- maybe even a year. GG does have better graphics and the feature of terrain painting. It's even going to have all the DX11 capabilities. However, as I had mentioned elsewhere, it is far from being finished. FPSC with Black Ice Mod for me is the best. You hit the nail on the head when you said that "it also does not have as vast library of packs like the classic." Since I'm not able to make my own models that is a huge plus. Probably the most compelling reason why I came back to FPSC is the fact GG has severe issues with building a stand-alone game. I had not yet even had one successful build and they all were so bad that there wasn't a single entity I had placed in the map that shown up and the terrain didn't come out right at all. Next there are not a lot of scripting commands that would make the game more interesting and viable. It's still somewhat buggy. They advertise it as "Create, play and share fun games on your PC with absolutely no technical knowledge needed!" First you probably may not be able to share the game. You can play the game using the test run in map editor. Also, there is a tag line, "Community Driven Development" which is very, very true. Lee is the only one developing GG and it seems he has bitten off more than he can choose by listening to what the "community" wants. He is extremely good at programming a game engine but one person cannot finish i in a timely manner. The same thing happened with FPSC, however he didn't allow people like s4real, nomad and others to actually help out with the coding to get it finished up as a viable engine -- which it is now --- before he gave up on it and moved on. The same thing might just happen with GG. Even Madcow2 has shown you can develop a really great game with FPSC even without the mod.

As someone who is just beginning, I would stick with FPSC (the added mod is up to you) and get to know the ropes of developing games. Oh, I almost forgot. FPI scripting is a little easier than lua scripting. You can script some really complex stuff with it. Because I was a programmer before I retired lua was OK for me to start using but after several months I'm just getting the hang of it and of course notice that there are not enough internal commands to use in the engine. I have always been know to write long posts and not many people read the whole thing but this is who I am.

-Jamie Hyneman
xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Aug 2017 21:09 Edited at: 25th Aug 2017 21:12
Quote: "I have always been know to write long posts and not many people read the whole thing but this is who I am."

Admitting you have a problem is half the battle. Sorry, couldn't resist.

I think Black Ice will give you similar graphics to GG (I cant even bring myself to say the name), but you may have to do a little work. A lot of the textures have been done for you, but for custom media and the older media, you'll have to improve, convert, and create some images. You're not going to get this all at once and there is no engine that will provide everything plus the ease of FPSC. There are better, professional quality game engines for free, but the learning curve is much longer and you have to create all your media.

We used to have a little fun asking for a "Make a great game for me" button, but Lee never did code it.

So the answer to your question is... no. BIM is the best thing going at the moment.

BTW: Most of the people still here are very helpful. Just start making your game and when you run into something you don't know or need help with.... ask. We all do it.
Brian.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 11:01:14
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 11:01:14